iPad game/app review thread Page 45

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• spamdangled 30 Dec 2012 02:10:16 27,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Why isn't Firefox available for the iPad?
    Ask Mozilla? Why do you need it?

Darren wrote:
    Also I couldn't find uTorrent either.
    Why did you expect to be able to?

Nothing to do with Mozilla (or even utorrent). Everything to do with Apple and their "walled garden" approach to the platform. Jailbreaking your ipad would probably fix it.

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:53:09 30-12-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Moot_Point 30 Dec 2012 02:22:34 3,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lost to end of last page.

Machinarium - 1.50

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Flying_Pig 1 Jan 2013 20:51:04 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sim City Deluxe is currently 69p
  • Dougs 1 Jan 2013 21:21:01 67,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone know whether you can use the sky sports app to watch SS1 etc and have it not count towards your Sky Go number of devices?
  • KennyPowers 2 Jan 2013 22:08:08 94 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone got a list of must-have apps/games to put on a new iPad?
  • bladdard 2 Jan 2013 22:10:55 933 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @KennyPowers

Not a list but iPhoto and Garageband and my two must have apps. Dolphin browser is great too.
  • Moot_Point 3 Jan 2013 01:25:31 3,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone know which .avi player is best on the iPad?

this. Is one better than the other interface wise...

================================================================================

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 08:06:37
    @MootPoint I can't speak about the others, but I use Airvideo on an iPhone and an iPad.

Typically, I will remotely set my net book to convert the video file (if its a film) and stream over local wifi. Works a treat, but my three year old net book can take an hour to convert a 1gb file.

However, it can easily handle a tv show, and will convert on the fly, while streaming. I'm sure it would work better with a decent laptop.

Easy to use, straight forward (basic) interface.
  • Moot_Point 3 Jan 2013 14:52:42 3,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks, I will give it a whirl.

Edited by Moot_Point at 14:52:54 03-01-2013

• mrpon 3 Jan 2013 14:56:46 28,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got that AcePlayer (previously known as AirAV which was free initially) it connects up to my NAS and browses really quickly. Had no problems playing my stuff, though YMMV as per the reviews. Handbrake is your friend therefore.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 15:08:09 3,045 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Nothing to do with Mozilla (or even utorrent). Everything to do with Apple and their "walled garden" approach to the platform. Jailbreaking your ipad would probably fix it.
    Actually when it comes to browsers it's pretty hard to argue that Apple's walled garden keeps them out, as there's loads of them.

It's plainly obvious why uTorrent doesn't exist on the App Store, and yes that's exactly because of Apple. I don't see why it's a problem, the iOS devices are simply not made for torrenting.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 15:10:00 3,045 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Got Spaceteam yesterday (2-4 players required, each with iDevices, and you all act like you're on the starship enterprise bridge, it's brilliant), played with my non-gaming wife. She enjoyed it so much this morning she actually suggested playing again. Wow.

Only problem - can't work out what 'Flip to avoid the wormhole!' means. We've tried everything we've found on the internet describing the technique and nothing actually works. Anyway apart from that, it's class. And free!

Thanks for the tip, this is hilarious! :D

"Flip" means you both need to turn your screen 180 degrees - if your home button is on the bottom, it should be on top afterwards.
    Yeah we were pretty sure that's what it meant. Turns out that to activate it successfully you all need to do the FLIP motion at pretty much the exact same time. A "3 - 2 - 1 - FLIP!" instruction works well... ;)

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:11:23 6,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Actually when it comes to browsers it's pretty hard to argue that Apple's walled garden keeps them out, as there's loads of them.

It's plainly obvious why uTorrent doesn't exist on the App Store, and yes that's exactly because of Apple. I don't see why it's a problem, the iOS devices are simply not made for torrenting.
    Torrenting is fine on iOS.

PSN: DonOsito

• Popzeus 3 Jan 2013 15:12:54 8,300 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, talk of browsers being blocked by the walled garden is balls. Chrome works very nicely indeed on the iPad, no jailbreaking required.

Main problem I'm finding with streaming players is that Dolby recently hit all the devs with the threat of patent lawsuits, meaning they've all had to take out support for the sound codec all my video files use :(

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• TarickStonefire 3 Jan 2013 15:24:06 3,045 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien Is it? I take it you have to jailbreak. Does it torrent in the background while you're not using the device, ie, while it's locked and asleep?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:24:28 03-01-2013

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:34:02 6,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    @dominalien Is it? I take it you have to jailbreak. Does it torrent in the background while you're not using the device, ie, while it's locked and asleep?
    Nope :lol:

As many of the unofficial programs, the torrenting one is half-baked at best. It has been getting better and will possibly reach maturity some day (other apps continue working in the background/in sleep mode, so there's no real reason this one couldn't). I have, however, successfully downloaded torrents on both my iPhone and iPad.

PSN: DonOsito

• Darren 3 Jan 2013 16:57:47 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Why isn't Firefox available for the iPad?
    Ask Mozilla? Why do you need it?
    Because I use the Firefox sync and was hoping to be able to copy all my bookmarks and stuff across easily. It's how I sync them between my work and home PC.

I managed to set up Safari on my PC though with the same bookmarks and then use iCloud to sync them with my iPad. So far, Safari seems a lot more impressive than it was on my PC plus it is faster and less buggy than Firefox on my S3 phone.

Darren wrote:
    Also I couldn't find uTorrent either.
    Why did you expect to be able to?
    Well, I have uTorrent on my S3 phone but I guess I should have known that a closed system like iOS isn't going to support file sharing like Android does. It's not a big loss, it was just one of the few apps, along with Firefox, that I noticed I could get for Android but not iOS.

Lords of Midnight for 2.99 is a great buy for the iPad. It looks great; very reminiscent of the original C64/Spectrum game but with smoother edges. It is also perfectly suited to the touch screen and works superbly with a stylus. Love it. Terrific game.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 3 Jan 2013 17:01:05 8,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are there any apps to increase the volume on the iPad? The mono speaker is fine but I wish it was 10-20% louder. Also, the volume even with the official earpods isn't as loud as it is on my S3 phone or Sony Walkman. And, no, I do not have the volume limiter enabled.

Also, is there any way to change the colour tone on the iPad? By default, it uses a warmer tinge so whites don't look perfectly white (though my eyes accept them as white). It would be nice to be able to change the tone as a warm palette is great for photos and videos but not so ideal for browsing IMO.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 17:08:12
    This is the app review thread, not help Darren try to do stupid things with his iPad thread.
  • Popzeus 3 Jan 2013 17:10:48 8,300 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed, there's an "I've got an iPad" thread for that.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 17:11:50
    Yeah, it's the one where mcmonkey tries to pick up men.
  • neilka 3 Jan 2013 17:20:43 15,849 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh are you on your period?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• IronGiant 4 Jan 2013 07:38:35 4,489 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Room - 10/10 Loved every minute of this, absolute bargain of a game.. If you like puzzles or something that requires a bit of lateral thinking then you must play this. Can't wait for the follow up!
  • spamdangled 4 Jan 2013 08:05:18 27,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the Room was good. I really enjoyed it. It doesn't do anything particularly original (it is, as the name suggests, just one of those locked room games when you get down to it) and it wasn't particularly challenging, but it was polished with just enough content and interesting ideas to keep my attention enough to finish it in one sitting without feeling ripped off.

There's a lot that's been keeping me interested recently, mainly board and card game stuff (Fluxx, Ticket to Ride, Nightfall etc).

League of Evil 2 is a fairly decent and challenging platformer with fairly decent controls. It starts off pretty easy but quickly gets quite difficult. Worth picking up for the money.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Flying_Pig 4 Jan 2013 08:29:20 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another thumbs up for The Room :)
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Jan 2013 09:35:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Another thumbs up for The Room :)
    I believe it was voted as the App of the Year by Apple along with 'Paper', which is also excellent ... and deservingly so!
  • TarickStonefire 4 Jan 2013 10:41:55 3,045 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darren No and no.

But anyone using the official earbuds is quite frankly a Public Menace. At the very least go get some Sennheiser CX300s or whatever they're called these days. 20 (don't buy fakes though!) a *massive* improvement in sound quality, and people standing 10 feet away from you won't be able to make out every single hi-hat or syllable of whatever you're listening to.

Plus you'll not want the volume of your iDevice anywhere near maximum or you'll blow your eardrums ;)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:46:42 04-01-2013

• TarickStonefire 4 Jan 2013 10:44:05 3,045 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien Well I stand corrected about the physical impossibility of it! But it sounds very impractical compared to just running torrents on a PC that's always on. But then I suppose it depends how you want to use and access the resulting files. Interesting!

• mrpon 4 Jan 2013 11:04:17 28,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get a NAS Tarick, most now have Torrent apps you can run on them 24/7. Or have a shufties at SickBeard.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• IronGiant 4 Jan 2013 18:18:26 4,489 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @darkmorgado

It kept me nicely entertained on a couple of train journeys and the creepy music and sound effects were great through headphones. Just started Bastion., so far so good :)
  • Page

of 54 First / Last