iPad game/app review thread Page 37

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• Flying_Pig 6 Apr 2012 15:58:03 10,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elephantjuice wrote:
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Tiny Bang Story HD has just dropped to 69p, if anyone's interested.
    Just done the first level so far but it seems really good. Reminds me a lot of Machinarium which I absolutely loved.
    Same here. Finished level 1 this morning. Lovely game, but pretty tough IMO
  • HoriZon 6 Apr 2012 16:09:49 13,461 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got that Brian Cox app yet its like 4.99 but is it any good?

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Fab4 6 Apr 2012 17:17:15 5,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Paper is a really nice sketchbook/notebook type thing

You can download it for free, but extra tools beyond a pen cost money, really tempted to buy it though

a drawing what I did with it. I have no artistic skills btw, the app does most of the work :p
    You should try Sketch Club It is a far better drawing/painting app and no additional costs once bought. It also has procedural brushes (Smooth and Sketch) which do most of the work for you...if you so wish ;)

Edited by Fab4 at 17:21:46 06-04-2012
  • the_dudefather 6 Apr 2012 17:26:11 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:

You can download it for free, but extra tools beyond a pen cost money, really tempted to buy it though

a drawing what I did with it. I have no artistic skills btw, the app does most of the work :p
    You should try Sketch Club It is a far better drawing/painting app and no additional costs once bought. It also has procedural brushes (Smooth and Sketch) which do most of the work for you...if you so wish ;)
    ta, will have to check it out later

As someone who likes doodling, but has no real training (Art Academy on the DS mostly :p), I was looking for something on iPad that could fill that craving

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Fab4 6 Apr 2012 17:29:43 5,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:

As someone who likes doodling, but has no real training (Art Academy on the DS mostly :p), I was looking for something on iPad that could fill that craving
    Sketch Club sounds perfect. You can use it if you are an eager amateur or professional, plus it has a good social side if that floats your boat (although not necessary at all). I've picked up a lot of good tips from great digital artists on there.
  • Peew971 7 Apr 2012 19:16:51 4,645 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Civ Rev is 1.49
  • jonsaan 7 Apr 2012 19:19:45 25,254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oooooooh. Tempting. The ds one was cool.

FCUTA!

• Flying_Pig 7 Apr 2012 19:37:27 10,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Peew971 wrote:
    Civ Rev is 1.49
    By complete coincidence, I've just downloaded this. Love it on iPhone, so know this'll be brilliant!
  • the_dudefather 7 Apr 2012 19:44:27 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:

Sketch Club sounds perfect. You can use it if you are an eager amateur or professional, plus it has a good social side if that floats your boat (although not necessary at all). I've picked up a lot of good tips from great digital artists on there.
    thanks for the recommendation, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for

Here's a purple anteaterbear I drew

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• lucky_jim 7 Apr 2012 20:54:11 5,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mmmmm.... delicious.
  • mrpon 7 Apr 2012 21:37:36 27,647 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:

Anyone downloading this make sure you get the version by FiftyThree. The other version (just a blank page icon) is frankly attrocious.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Flying_Pig 7 Apr 2012 22:14:05 10,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Peew971 wrote:
    Civ Rev is 1.49
    By complete coincidence, I've just downloaded this. Love it on iPhone, so know this'll be brilliant!
    Just finished it. Exactly what I hoped it would be!
  • lucky_jim 8 Apr 2012 14:32:45 5,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cradle of Rome 2 is free today (usually 2.99). It's a perfectly decent choice if you're bewildered by all the match-3 puzzlers out there, it carries the three quid price tag perfectly comfortably so for free it's well worth downloading.
  • thedaveeyres 8 Apr 2012 14:42:45 9,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Epic Astro Story is rather good.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• fragglerocks 10 Apr 2012 21:32:09 302 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Peew971 wrote:
    Civ Rev is 1.49
    Just finished it. Exactly what I hoped it would be!
    I spent the whole of Sunday playing this :)
    Next on my ipad game list is Sid Meier's Pirates & Lego Harry Potter.
  • Clart 14 Apr 2012 13:25:54 987 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I totally recommend the brand new Max Payne Mobile on the iPad - just played the first chapter through and it's superb. The touch controls take a little bit of getting used to, but work very well. It looks great too!
  • Blakester 18 Apr 2012 10:30:46 3,357 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clart wrote:
    I totally recommend the brand new Max Payne Mobile on the iPad - just played the first chapter through and it's superb. The touch controls take a little bit of getting used to, but work very well. It looks great too!
    I love Max Payne, but I have a rule not to buy iOS games that rely on d-pad controls. You just can't play for any length of time without cramping.

I took a punt on Burnout Crash which has excellent touch controls. It takes a while to really get to grips with the game mechanics as initially it feels like it relies a little too much on luck. However after an hour or so, you start to learn the strategy needed to rack up the crash bonuses and it becomes a very satisfying game.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Tonka 18 Apr 2012 11:04:09 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    iPhoto is good but broken.
    Apple seriously fucked it up by not having it replace the Pictures app that comes with the iPad. Albums can only be created in the latter. If I manually rotate an image in iPhoto it won't be rotated i Pictures (or whatever that app is called in english). If I then rotate it in Pictures the one in IPhoto is distorted. It aplies a 90degree rotation to a correctly rotated image AND keeps the aspect ratio. So a portrait style image is streched wide.

I also can't upload images to Flickr for some reason.

Bit the photo editing is joyful. I just wish that iPhoto would replace Pictures. Oh, the journal bit is crap. Really looking forward to when they add photobook creation...

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• beastmaster 19 Apr 2012 21:35:03 10,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Triple Town is free at the moment. Edge 9/10 review here

Probably been posted already.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• DaM 19 Apr 2012 21:48:51 12,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'll be needing to fork out for moves after a few days - cunningly timed so you are still addicted, but shortly before you get fed up with it.
  • delbert 19 Apr 2012 23:49:07 2,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone grabbed the Total War: Shogun app yet?
  • mrpon 20 Apr 2012 08:42:55 27,647 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Downloaded Pocket this morning and it's a keeper. Formerly known as ReadItLater and it's one of those "store articles to read later" type apps. Lovely interface, support for Android/PC/Kindle Fire etc.. Add to your list via email plus add-ons for Chrome etc..

Oh it has support for Pulse, Flipboard and a few more as well.

Really nice and free, just need to find the time to read them :)

Edited by mrpon at 08:43:53 20-04-2012

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• frugtkompot 20 Apr 2012 09:14:59 2,818 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I has used Instapaper for a food year now. I find that - or a similar app - indispensable I'd you own an iPad and have any interest whatsoever in reading.

Does anyone know of any good games in the Caesar, Sim City style or old that are worth it?
  • lucky_jim 20 Apr 2012 09:38:19 5,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not quite the same thing, but you should probably take a look at Rebuild if you haven't already, as long as you have a high zombie tolerance threshold. Other than that there's, er, Sim City? Genesia is really good too but it's quite bewildering for newcomers, I'm not sure I'd have ever got to grips with it if I didn't have it when it originally came out on the Amiga. Gameloft's version of The Settlers is a bit of a missed opportunity as it lacked a free map mode- I used to like playing the Amiga version like that some times. Maybe they've patched that in since, but I deleted it long ago.
  • delbert 20 Apr 2012 10:06:17 2,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I found Virtual City quite good with its smaller objective based city building levels.. I think a new one (VC2?) is either out or imminent..
  • yegon 20 Apr 2012 19:09:53 4,909 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enjoying Avernum HD. Similar to the excellent Avadon by the same devs, only slightly more hardcore.
  • speedofthepuma 22 Apr 2012 12:13:36 13,246 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, how come TV premium is 69p and allows me to watch all UK channels? I don't know, and presumable it won't last long, but I felt it necessary to let anyone who might care know.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Deleted user 22 April 2012 12:16:40
    All freeview channels?

That's perfectly legal.
  • speedofthepuma 22 Apr 2012 12:21:51 13,246 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not when you're based in Australia it isn't.

Also some sky movies and sky sports 1 appear to be on there.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• lucky_jim 22 Apr 2012 12:50:09 5,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers speedofthepuma, just downloaded that myself and I can view a load of channels here in Prague which I usually can't through the broadcasters' websites. I don't know how long it'll last, but for 69p I'll enjoy it while it does.
  • Page

of 54 First / Last