'Ten Dollar Project' Expiry Date 30th April ?!?!

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 3 Apr 2010 14:21:55 3,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just bought Dragons Age Origins (Xbox 360), one of EA games with the 'scamware' DLC to try and 'punish' second hand buyers.

Anyway, I noticed that in small lettering on the back it says the DLC code expires onthe 30th of april so just be aware if you're planing on buying one of these games after that date, you may as well buy it used.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Dragul 3 Apr 2010 14:47:21 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well FIFA 10 expires on 28th of February 2010 (I bought it on mid March) so I couldn't get Santiago Bernabeu Stadium for free... :(

I didn't see The Saboteur expiration date and I'll need to have a look when Dante's Inferno arrives...
  • Shivoa 3 Apr 2010 14:49:15 5,677 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or rent it with a 5/month console rental service*.

*seriously guys, don't prop up brick and mortar shops, with their stupid pricing and full out scam resale business, just rent and enjoy expanding your gaming tastes by not taking a risk more than a bit of time with any game 'purchase'. Try something different because the worst you'll do is waste a few days of your rental plan with a very quick return of something you ended up not liking.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2010 14:50:36
    Or not get worked up over a little bit of timed free content in a massive rpg that can be had new for under 20.
  • Dragul 3 Apr 2010 14:52:45 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not worked up about it, I just find this annoying... And I like to buy my games... :p
  • INSOMANiAC 3 Apr 2010 14:54:10 3,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nobodys getting worked up flower, I am merely pointing out that if you purchase this game brand new fter the 30th April you wont be able to get the promised 'free' downloadable content. Some people may actually be thankful for this information

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Rodriguez 3 Apr 2010 14:58:06 1,097 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Shivoa
    Can you recommend a particular game rental service for 5 a month? That would possibly interest me.
  • PrivateFloyd 3 Apr 2010 15:00:31 4,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodriguez wrote:
    @ Shivoa
    Can you recommend a particular game rental service for 5 a month? That would possibly interest me.

Lovefilm do a 10 per month service which gives you 4 game rentals a month which you can keep for as long as you want. Posted to your door, with an envelope to post back when your done.

i have used them for a couple of years and there great. Rodriguez if your interested i have some referral codes that give you a month free.

Goat is hungry.....

• Rodriguez 3 Apr 2010 15:12:21 1,097 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the response PrivateFloyd, I'm only thinking about it at the moment though, but will be sure to keep your kind offer in mind!
  • JonFE 7 Apr 2010 17:01:49 1,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dragul wrote:
    Well FIFA 10 expires on 28th of February 2010 (I bought it on mid March) so I couldn't get Santiago Bernabeu Stadium for free... :(

I didn't see The Saboteur expiration date and I'll need to have a look when Dante's Inferno arrives...

Today I received my discounted new copy of Saboteur and saw the expiration date set to 31 Jan 2010, however when I tried the code it worked just fine.

Also, seeing your thread, I checked my still-warped copy of Fifa 2010 and Santiago Bernabeu Stadium was available for free - however I could not find a place in the Fifa Store to try and redeem the Boost Performance code...

Bottom line is that, maybe, that expiration date is not set in stone...
  • 1Dgaf 7 Apr 2010 17:04:35 3,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    Or not get worked up over a little bit of timed free content in a massive rpg that can be had new for under 20.

Apart from food, if you buy something the product shouldn't really have an expiry date.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Deleted user 7 April 2010 17:27:08
    They have this on those stupid digital copies you get with BluRay discs. Some of the discs you buy new now have an expired digital copy.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2010 19:42:42
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Vertical Stand wrote:

Apart from food, if you buy something the product shouldn't really have an expiry date.

It doesn't, only for bonus offer content, during a period when new game sales are at their highest, and the damage of second hand sales is at its greatest. After that the prices are so low you can get the game new and buy the content for a decent price, as with Dragon Age.

Its kinda like how you get slips inside games with a competition, or with Gradius V an online score challenge that only took place within the first six months.
  • INSOMANiAC 8 Apr 2010 11:03:01 3,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We get the picture Vertical stand, not only do you think being able to only sell a part of what you have paid good money for is justifiable, but also that they can expire the 'bonus' content at any given time...............

Sadly its people like you that will see this trend rise, its a sad day for gaming.

PS its absolutely NOTHING like some high score competition, try again.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 8 April 2010 11:17:32
    Why not? It costs time and money and is a promotoinal tool used during the most productive (ie first few months) or the products life cycle.

You didn't buy this content when you buy the game, its clearly listed as being available for people who buy new within a certain time span, and the game in question is so cheap now to buy new that it hardly warrants hyperbole.
  • SomaticSense 8 Apr 2010 12:55:27 8,690 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sorry Insomniac has a point.

If they are going to use this as a way to drive new game sales, then why slap an expiry date on it?

Anyway, I noticed that in small lettering on the back it says the DLC code expires onthe 30th of april so just be aware if you're planing on buying one of these games after that date, you may as well buy it used.

The above pretty much says it all. After the date has expired, there is now no reason for anyone to buy one of these games new.

I actually like the whole Ten Dollah idea EA are putting out, and can't understand a lot of the scorn for it (free DLC for buyers of the game new, versus paid for DLC for everyone). But why an expiry date?
  • INSOMANiAC 8 Apr 2010 15:21:32 3,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I'm sorry Insomniac has a point.

If they are going to use this as a way to drive new game sales, then why slap an expiry date on it?

The above pretty much says it all. After the date has expired, there is now no reason for anyone to buy one of these games new.

I actually like the whole Ten Dollah idea EA are putting out, and can't understand a lot of the scorn for it (free DLC for buyers of the game new, versus paid for DLC for everyone). But why an expiry date?

You see this is another point where people are getting misled like sheep because EA have told them its 'free dlc', no, its 'stuff left out of the game. They are not rewarding new users they are punishing second hand buyers, there is a big difference. Seeing how this 'bonus' content comes out on the day of release do you really think its some kind of bonus ? its merely a section they have deliberately left out, all this dlc they mention from day one including the mass effect 2 vehicle sections could and should have been in the game from the start.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Bertie Senior Staff Writer, Eurogamer.net 8 Apr 2010 15:27:54 1,751 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm! I'll put it to EA.
  • nickthegun 8 Apr 2010 15:30:41 60,428 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you also ask them to come up with a better codename than something that sounds like a group of drunk squaddies looking for a thai hooker?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Bertie Senior Staff Writer, Eurogamer.net 8 Apr 2010 15:32:03 1,751 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll see what they say.
  • Bertie Senior Staff Writer, Eurogamer.net 8 Apr 2010 15:40:42 1,751 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reply may take a while - no phone answer.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Apr 2010 15:45:10 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be honest I have no problem with it. It a mechanism to purchase at a full price copy and not to wait out the price drop or go second hand. An incentive and a reason for those who might be interested to pay out the monies and a disincentive to try and save five quid by buying second hand, given that the bonus material is sold at more than that.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2010 15:51:29
    Yeah but if you were to buy it new after the expiration date you're still being screwed.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Apr 2010 15:53:31 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    but by then it's half price so you're not screwed really. The publisher/developer on the other hand...
  • Deleted user 8 April 2010 15:54:29
    I don't see how buying it new this month or last month should affect the bonus for buying it new.
  • nickthegun 8 Apr 2010 15:56:05 60,428 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bertie wrote:
    I'll see what they say.

Can you also ask them if the guy who said 'EA SPORTS....BIG' will do me an answerphone message?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Mr-Brett 8 Apr 2010 15:57:25 12,822 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    You see this is another point where people are getting misled like sheep because EA have told them its 'free dlc', no, its 'stuff left out of the game. They are not rewarding new users they are punishing second hand buyers, there is a big difference. Seeing how this 'bonus' content comes out on the day of release do you really think its some kind of bonus ? its merely a section they have deliberately left out, all this dlc they mention from day one including the mass effect 2 vehicle sections could and should have been in the game from the start.

Why do you assume that the content is left out of the game? Games aren't printed the day before they reach the shops, they generally go gold a month or so before release and that's enough time to create some extra stuff that could not have been put on the disc . It's a very cynical and paranoid way of thinking to assume that devs are money grabbing assholes that are just trying to scam you all the time, if that's the way you feel I suggest you find another hobby.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 8 April 2010 15:58:34
    That happens all the time, hence 108Kb brand new DLC on xbl.
  • jonsaan 8 Apr 2010 16:01:04 25,360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ten Dowwar. If I bleed you pay darbal.

FCUTA!

• Jazzy_Geoff 8 Apr 2010 16:01:20 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a descretionary incentive for buying the game when the price is still making the developer a profit. That's the point if it. There is no "should".
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous