iPad alternatives

• Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2010 13:51:41 79,220 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lots of great alternatives present and future. Multitasking, hackintoshable hardware which leaves the iPad in the dust in terms of functionality and value for money.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• yegon 3 Apr 2010 13:55:51 5,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, I was about to direct you to that article.
  • grey_matters 3 Apr 2010 14:00:19 3,863 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the courier interface works well, I'd have a good think about getting that one. Wouldn't mind a linux-based thing with that twin-page form factor and Pixel-Qi screens (the dual mode ones that can act like e-paper).
  • Red-Moose 3 Apr 2010 14:07:46 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Lenova looks interesting. The tablet form itself is a good idea but lack of a keyboard when you need it and not needing to mess with BT or cables for it, is necessary. HP used to make one with a swivel flippable screen in a 12" laptop. Way too bulky and heavy though.

I would like to see these in tube form, using

1. a Polymer Vision type foldable screen
    2. a folable/rollable keyboard

Being able to flip out a small 5" screen, or fold it out to a much larger 17" as required, with a folding keyboard or one of those ones that use laser projection on any falt surface to make a keyboard

The technology is all there, but obviously having folding LCDs wrecks Apple's entire "research plans" department for the next 10 years.

• Dirtbox 3 Apr 2010 14:27:17 79,220 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those projected keyboards were annoyingly shit when released. I wonder if they've improved any.

• Deleted user 3 April 2010 14:33:58
    I'm sure like the HTC phones these will offer a viable alternative to the iPad. I'm sure the open source nature of it will attract customers to it and the inevitable popularity of it will mean some great games and programs are made for it. I'm sure the fact that they are fully customisable will be a major attraction to the general public. I'm sure these have some great future potential. Just like HTC and Android.

Snigger.
  • Jackface 3 Apr 2010 14:41:23 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd had a quiet eye on this thread just out of genuine interest and in the hope it stays reasonably productive rather than descending into full on Apple -vs- The World mode.

And then mowgli chipped in.
  • mal 3 Apr 2010 14:46:37 22,850 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think so. I think they're still hampered by the fact you're actually typing on your desk.

Edit: @db. Hmm, that article must've taken me longer to read than I thought ;)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 3 Apr 2010 14:49:12 79,220 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I don't think so. I think they're still hampered by the fact you're actually typing on your desk.

Edit: @db. Hmm, that article must've taken me longer to read than I thought ;)
    Is wasn't so much your typing on the desk as it not registering your keystrokes that was the problem. I see that one's one of the originals from a while back and I haven't heard of a more up to date one so I suppose it's a dead end for the time being.

• Red-Moose 3 Apr 2010 15:35:22 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Those projected keyboards were annoyingly shit when released. I wonder if they've improved any.

It would be great to have them for travelling on planes or trains and you could type on the tray in front of you, adjusting the size as necessary and the table on a little stand or hook.
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2010 16:03:31 79,220 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, would be brilliant - if it worked.

• HoriZon 3 Apr 2010 16:11:53 13,601 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thing is the iPad is here now all these others Slates etc haven't been given a date.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Khanivor 3 Apr 2010 16:15:47 41,299 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was thinking about how I'd like something which offered the ipad's cool features while adding all the stuff that's missing while allowing me to use my property the way I wanted to. I'd buy that and I'm sure Apple isn't going to be given the headstart it got with the iPhone.
  • Red-Moose 3 Apr 2010 17:35:57 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I was thinking about how I'd like something which offered the ipad's cool features while adding all the stuff that's missing while allowing me to use my property the way I wanted to. I'd buy that and I'm sure Apple isn't going to be given the headstart it got with the iPhone.

The X-Series Thinkpad basically does the job, but it's bulkier and significantly more expensive. The technology itself is dirt cheap.

Material and production costs for an iPhone 3G are around US$100. However, the pressure was on to make bigger profit margings - solution: a giant iPhone. A larger LCD is marginally more expensive, but the profit margin on the iPad is huge. I can understand why they released it (Apple fans will eventually buy every Apple product), as it was undoubtedly a purely financial exercise as opposed to moving technology forward.

Some sort of tablet with hi speed networking to do remote desktop access as well would be excellent, but obviously requires a good HSDPA connection. being able to quickly login and download a powerpoint presentation from home or something. In fact, having a tablet with the iPads dimensions could look quite professional at a meeting when many people fidget with hands,e tc., . while giving talks.

• El_MUERkO 3 Apr 2010 17:58:14 17,152 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i like the look of the courier OS and folding device, i don't like the idea of an exposed screen
  • THFourteen 3 Apr 2010 18:34:57 34,509 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the screens thesedays are pretty scratch resistant, i've had my iphone for over a year and still no scratches on it - touch wood!!!

i'd consider getting a hp slate, altho i'd want to wait and see what the support was like. unfortunately, love it or loathe it, the app store has really taken off and i can see there being tonnes of developer support for the ipad, but not yet for the slate.

obviously i know you can run native windows software on it, but that means you'll be playing PC games using gimped controls - not worth it.
  • rock27gr 3 Apr 2010 18:42:14 5,789 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:

The X-Series Thinkpad basically does the job, but it's bulkier and significantly more expensive. The technology itself is dirt cheap.

Bulkier doesn't cut it. So are those other netbooks. Not the same thing.

Red Moose wrote:
    Material and production costs for an iPhone 3G are around US$100. However, the pressure was on to make bigger profit margings - solution: a giant iPhone. A larger LCD is marginally more expensive, but the profit margin on the iPad is huge. I can understand why they released it (Apple fans will eventually buy every Apple product), as it was undoubtedly a purely financial exercise as opposed to moving technology forward.

Not that Apple doesn't have big profit margins, but I am sure you are aware that the iPad also features more advanced electronics (like a better processor) than the iPhone, so the cost isn't just the bigger LCD screen!

As for the Apple fans remark, are you suggesting that the iPhone is only bought by Apple fans? Cause I am pretty sure most iPhone owners are first time apple customers.

Red Moose wrote:
    Some sort of tablet with hi speed networking to do remote desktop access as well would be excellent, but obviously requires a good HSDPA connection. being able to quickly login and download a powerpoint presentation from home or something. In fact, having a tablet with the iPads dimensions could look quite professional at a meeting when many people fidget with hands,e tc., . while giving talks.

So a more advanced iPad then, not a netbook. Some of those issues that will be resolved by OS4? The iPad is flawed, but there is nothing on the market that competes with it right now, and my guess is that Apple moved faster here in order to be first out the door, in effect releasing a betta version hardware.
  • Red-Moose 3 Apr 2010 18:45:09 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ALERT ALERT

ROCK27GR IS MOWGLI

:)
  • rock27gr 3 Apr 2010 18:47:36 5,789 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh no!

/goes to live in the jungle
  • spindizzy 3 Apr 2010 18:53:03 6,618 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Of those I think only the Notion Ink thingy and the Courier (if it exists) look really exciting. But the hardware of course is only part of it, and I don't see anyone (except maybe MS) catching Apple on that front soon. Would love to be proved wrong though!
  • rock27gr 3 Apr 2010 19:31:39 5,789 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Courier is interesting indeed. IMO clamshell designs are inherently better than slates (See DS vs PSP), plus the pen could enable handwriting recognition input.

What would make it perfect though would be the ability to have the two screens connect as one, eithout any visible division lines. Don't know how this could be done though.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2010 21:11:50
    If someone builds a better iPad/OS then 100% of my money will go to them.
  • HoriZon 3 Apr 2010 21:19:23 13,601 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Even the HP Slate looks really thick compared to the iPad. Really want one but it's not as sexy.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Deleted user 3 April 2010 21:51:56
    If it exists the Courier gets me more excited than the iPad. Frankly the iPad doesn't compete as a concept, speaking as someone who wants something for more than entertainment.

I like the way they've managed to use the middle section as well - as a point for storing images and data whilst you work on either screen. They've made practical use of the dead space in the interface. Very clever.
  • Jackface 3 Apr 2010 22:00:42 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    If someone builds a better iPad/OS then 100% of my money will go to them.
    Heh, I read that blog today too.

;)
  • Red-Moose 6 Apr 2010 00:16:23 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WePad

Could be highly HIGHLY interesting. Launches in May 2010.

Main technology differences:

Display 11,6 mit 1366 x 768 Pixels, (bigger than iPad but crucially almost full A4)
    Processor 1,66 GHz Intel Atom N450 Pineview-M (iPAd: 1,0 GHz Apple A4)
    Memory 16 GB NAND Flash (optional 32 GB intern/ 32 GB SD card)
    Webcam yes (1,3 Megapixel) (iPad: no)
    Peripherals 2 x USB integrated, Card reader, Audio output,
    SIM Card Slot, Multi-Pin Connector
    Adapter for Camera and
    Card reader
    Flash / Adobe AIR yes / yes no / no
    Applications: WePad Apps and Android Apps (Ipad: iTunes App Store)
    Multitasking yes (Ipad: Limited (only Apple Apps))
    Battery life Lithium-Ion Polymer (running time ca. 6 h) (Ipad: ca. 10 h)
    Supported eBook Formats: All open formats, additionally premium formats (WeBook),

• coastal 6 Apr 2010 00:33:27 5,390 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One hacked joggler from O2 - 50, okay more of a flash picture viewer with wifi but oh no, right thread after all.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• KTM 6 Apr 2010 00:41:29 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The problem with all the alternatives is that they can't compete in terms of content. The app/book/music store is the killer feature.

Every other machine will lack as much variety in apps, will struggle to compete with ease of delivery (all iPad things will come from one location and will be legitimate rather than picked individually from the entire Internet and stolen) and won't have the/as many big names on board
  • Red-Moose 6 Apr 2010 00:52:58 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does anyone give a flying damn about Apple's content though? I want access to my video, music, internet on a quick platform that could also control my home media system.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous