Running Quake/Quake II on modern nVidia cards with Steam

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Apr 2010 17:32:26 37,656 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Afternoon,

Might be preaching to the choir here, but this is something that caused me a little trouble recently. Today for the first time since I purchase an nVidia GTX 275 I decided to play Quake and Quake II. Sadly both GLQuake and Quake II crashed on startup. Steam does not let you run them in compatibility mode either so I was not about to try that. After a bit of searching I have found the solution and thought I should share.

First, I had to download the latest nVidia drivers. I previously had a 196.something driver and one of the options I'll mention is not included in that version. I'm now running version 197.13

Anyway. Install Quake and Quake II, then access the nVidia control panel. Navigate to "3D Settings" -> "Manage 3D settings" in the menu on the left. Then select the "Program Settings" tab. Now Quake II should be listed in the drop down list, but you'll have to click "Add" and find the GLQuake.exe in your Steam directory.

For both programs change "Extension Limit" to On and "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" to Single display performance mode. It's important you don't change the "Extension Limit" to On in the global settings as it will prevent some modern games from running. Screenshot

Ta-da. You now will be able to run both games with no problems. Happy days.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Apr 2010 17:37:51 37,656 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As a little added something-something, I found a post on the Steam forum for a Steam-specific "mega-patch" for both games. These patches add the CD soundtracks and also the new engines like the Quake Dark Places engine which supports wide-screen resolutions and fancy things like texture filtering and HDR lighting.

These patches are by someone called MenaceInc and there are a couple of things to note:

"Please note as well that selecting Delete Local Content on Steam will not delete the music or dll files included. These will have to be manually deleted.

Also, trying to Verify integrity of game cache will result in the game files being overwritten with the originals. If you try installing one of the expansions, you will need to reinstall this patch as Steam rewrites over the modified files."

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=70M75CUZ - Ultimate Quake patch
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SK5QGWP8 - Ultimate Quake Mission Pack 1 patch
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G6TWTNFF - Ultimate Quake Mission Pack 2 patch

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M4OC6R1F - Ultimate Quake II patch.

• bad09 3 Apr 2010 11:54:19 5,759 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice I've had Quake for ages from the ID pack but not given it a go. After playing Doom (through ZDoom) this week (and seeing Quake in the sales) I might dust of the original tonight. How does 3 run? I only played the DC version might fire that up to although Quake never really got me after that wonderful experience of the first.
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2010 12:19:11 77,634 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doesn't work for me, Glquake.exe still crashes and Quake 2 looks like this.

However, there's always D3DQuake and KMQuake 2.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Aug 2011 19:50:12 37,656 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just linked to this thread and those patch links are dead.

Ultimate Quake patch
    Ultimate Quake Mission Pack 1 Patch
    Ultimate Quake Mission Pack 2 Patch

Ultimate Quake II patch

• Dirtbox 5 Aug 2011 20:08:54 77,634 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Better

• MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Aug 2011 20:11:37 37,656 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Those patches include dark places.

• Dirtbox 5 Aug 2011 20:38:08 77,634 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Then great they're great!

• FooAtari 5 Aug 2011 22:30:14 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Nice I've had Quake for ages from the ID pack but not given it a go. After playing Doom (through ZDoom) this week (and seeing Quake in the sales) I might dust of the original tonight. How does 3 run? I only played the DC version might fire that up to although Quake never really got me after that wonderful experience of the first.

Runs fine as far as I recall. I've got all the original games (i.e. not using source ports) running under Windows 7. If I do use a source port I prefer to use one that sticks as closely to the original as possible.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next