Help - Restless Baby!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Flying_Pig 29 Mar 2010 14:32:19 10,673 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm after a bit of advice from the collective dads on EG.

My boy, who is 5 months old, is generally very good about sleeping. Last feed about 10:30pm - bed shortly thereafter and he pretty much sleeps through 'til 7am. Although he might wake once or twice a night, it's only very brief and he's back asleep with little more than a stroked head, or patted tummy.

However, over the past few weeks he'd been extremely restless; waking 10-15 times a night! This is causing Mrs F_P and I problems, as we're just not getting much sleep. Some nights he's fine and doesn't wake, and the next night it'll be 10 times. I don't think we're doing anything different.

When he does wake it's usually pretty easy to get him back to sleep, but then he might wake again 20 minutes later.

Advice very welcome!
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Mar 2010 14:35:19 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First suspicion would be teething. Any lumps on his gums?
  • wobbler147 29 Mar 2010 14:37:02 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any chance it could be colic? Our youngest who has just turned one suffered terribly with it during the night until he was about 10 months old.
  • mad_caddy 29 Mar 2010 14:46:03 3,306 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Colic or teething would be my guess, So, Bonjela and/or some sort of colic stuff which probably wont work (we used Infacol, and our daughter was ok with it).
  • Flying_Pig 29 Mar 2010 14:46:21 10,673 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We thought teething, but as I said, it's not every night and he goes to sleep pretty quickly one the missus or I go into him...

I'll have a look/feel of his gums tonight. And have a look at Colic as an option too.

Thanks gents.
  • Flying_Pig 29 Mar 2010 15:11:03 10,673 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having done a bit of reading; I don't think it's colic, but teething sounds like a definite possibility, even if he may be a bit young. We'll give Bonjela a go tonight :)
  • thenastypasty 29 Mar 2010 15:30:39 5,180 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hatty( 9 months)has just cut her 2nd tooth this last week and she is doing the same as you're little one,some nights she sleeps through no problem,other nights she can be up ever couple of hours.

The gel/cooling ring combo has worked for us,I'd give that a try.
  • Juninho 29 Mar 2010 16:26:18 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The worst thing about teething is that it seems to wait til you think you've got the sleeping thing cracked before kicking in and screwing it all up.

And being deprived of sleep just when you've rediscovered how glorious it is is the worst thing in the world.
  • jonsaan 29 Mar 2010 16:29:19 25,326 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FP. If it's Colic. These things saved our lives:

http://www.drbrowns.co.uk/index.php

They made a MASSIVE difference.

FCUTA!

• wobbler147 29 Mar 2010 16:39:57 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 to that jonsaan, apart from washing the fecking things!
  • jonsaan 29 Mar 2010 17:36:58 25,326 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D. Luckily a distant memory now !

FCUTA!

• Nasty 29 Mar 2010 20:16:27 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Teething usually goes hand in hand with a some rosy cheeks and a bit of a sore bum. If he's starting teething make sure he's got plenty of things to cut his teeth on. Carrot sticks straight from the fridge always work well as they sooth as well as not being too hard.

Just a thought though, does he go to bed sleeping or do you put him to bed awake and let him fall asleep on his own?
  • Flying_Pig 30 Mar 2010 10:07:14 10,673 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips gents. Teething is certainly the most likely culprit (Mrs F_P has been suspecting this, but didn't mention it to me), and checking his gums, looks like we'll be seeing the appearance of a tooth fairly soon, I think.

Anyway, he got a bit grumpy early yesterday evening, so we whipped out the Bonjela and it did the trick.

Strangely he slept through, without waking last night :)

@Nasty: Generally already asleep when he's put to bed.
  • jonsaan 30 Mar 2010 13:47:15 25,326 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For teething we always found this to be the absolute nutz:

http://www.auravita.com/product/Nelson-s-Teetha-Teething-Granules.NELS32227.html

FCUTA!

• nick303 30 Mar 2010 14:35:22 1,526 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The absolute best thing for teething is ‘Baby Coke’ (Ashton & Parsons Infant Teething Powders ). It really does work wonders.

Just smear one pack onto the gums and 2 mins later, happy baby again :)
  • Immaterial 30 Mar 2010 15:04:48 1,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Teething usually goes hand in hand with a some rosy cheeks and a bit of a sore bum... Carrot sticks straight from the fridge always work well as they sooth as well as not being too hard.

This. Prepare to be (even more) appalled by the nappy contents. The carrot trick is a winner too, but make sure they're not big enough to swallow or choke on. It took me a couple of infant Heimlich's to work out that carrot coins rather than sticks were the right cut for our little man.

If you're not that happy retrieving potentially lethal root veg, the 'Baby Coke' (not heard it called that before!) is also a good thing.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Nasty 30 Mar 2010 16:06:41 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    @Nasty: Generally already asleep when he's put to bed.

Try starting to put him to his bed while he is awake. While the catalyst for him waking during the night may be a bit of teething, he is still looking for a bit of soothing to fall back to sleep again. Learning to fall asleep on his own is fundamental to you getting a full nights sleep.
  • Flying_Pig 30 Mar 2010 16:24:58 10,673 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    While I agree, my wife's not so keen...
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Mar 2010 16:31:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My son got through loads of these while teething as well as the afore-mentioned carrots. Very handy when out and about because of the little strap which means they don't fall on the floor if they drop them.
  • Nasty 30 Mar 2010 20:24:11 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    While I agree, my wife's not so keen...

:D

Completely normal. It is the whole I'm being a bad parent letting my baby cry thing but it's something they have to learn and something you (and the missus) have to go through too. While it's a few nights restlessness now, it can creep up on you and it soon becomes a nightly battle (like it was with our first).
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:56:01
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next