Treme - post-Katrina New Orleans drama from the creators of The Wire

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • localnotail 28 Mar 2010 11:26:06 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I realise most Wire fans will know about this already, but it's very close now, and yet I could find no thread.
    Official website (it's a bit too Flash, I don't like it much)

Series is scheduled to première April 11, 2010, on HBO. The first season will consist of 10 episodes, including an 80-minute pilot episode. Trailers look mighty fine:
    #1 teaser - it's like L4D2 but with instruments, not zombies!
    #2 Ring Shout this trailer got soul
    #3 Do you wanna? **awesome** - plus, play "spot the Wire actors"

It was originally Tremé but apparently market research says Americans can't handle accents (allegedly). It's still pronounced Trem-ay though.

Set in the autumn of 2005, Treme is an upcoming American drama television series created by David Simon and Eric Overmyer (Homicide: Life on the Street ). The series takes place three months after Hurricane Katrina where the residents of New Orleans, including musicians, chefs, Mardi Gras Indians and ordinary New Orleanians try to rebuild their lives, their homes and their unique culture.

Wiki says:
    Treme (historically sometimes called Tremé or Faubourg Tremé or Tremé/Lafitte when including the Lafitte Projects) is a neighborhood of the city of New Orleans. It is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city, and early in the city's history was the main neighborhood of free people of color. It remains an important center of the city's African-American and Créole culture, especially the modern brass band tradition. Parts of the Tremé neighborhood (particularly the area lakeside of Claiborne Avenue) have a crime problem. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the Tremé neighborhood received minor to moderate flooding. Fortunately in the portion of the neighborhood in from I-10, the water was generally not high enough to damage many of the old raised homes.

I'm really looking forward to this.

(edited for easier access trailers)

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• BravoGolf Moderator 28 Mar 2010 11:59:54 12,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, not heard of that before, looks great.

/Marks as Interesting
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Mar 2010 12:21:41 25,662 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oooh I literally just finished watching The Wire last night (fucking brilliant) so I shall be keeping my eye open for this!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• localnotail 28 Mar 2010 12:31:09 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are quite a few people from the Wire in it, that third trailer was like revisiting old friends :) Plus, John Goodman!

CosmicFuzz, you should check out Generation Kill maybe, if you are taken with David Simon's work - it's an adaptation of a true story about a Rolling Stone journalist assigned to report on his experiences with a squad of marines during the first wave of the American-led assault on Baghdad in 2003.

• Mr-Brett 28 Mar 2010 12:32:38 12,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone please bump this the day after it's shown in the US ;)

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• askew 28 Mar 2010 12:36:15 12,747 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk!
  • trip919 28 Mar 2010 12:37:18 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I’m intrigued to say the least, but it’ll be a while before I’ll ever see it.
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Mar 2010 12:37:24 25,662 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    There are quite a few people from the Wire in it, that third trailer was like revisiting old friends :) Plus, John Goodman!

CosmicFuzz, you should check out Generation Kill maybe, if you are taken with David Simon's work - it's an adaptation of a true story about a Rolling Stone journalist assigned to report on his experiences with a squad of marines during the first wave of the American-led assault on Baghdad in 2003.

Yep, Generation Kill is definitely next on my list after finishing Sopranos.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• M83J01P97 28 Mar 2010 12:45:13 6,717 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really looking forward to this.

Early press previews haven't been too positive though, apparently it comes across as being very 'preachy'. But then you can't really take anything the American media say seriously.
  • paul_haine 28 Mar 2010 13:08:52 4,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    localnotail wrote:

Yep, Generation Kill is definitely next on my list after finishing Sopranos.

Stick "The Corner" on your list as well.
  • BinaryBob101 28 Mar 2010 13:11:15 24,449 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow. Brilliant trailer that set the tone perfectly. Good shout local. I'd not heard this was coming and I'll be there for Day 1.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• silentbob 28 Mar 2010 13:17:26 29,029 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On a related note, just finished watching 'Trouble the Water'. One of the most compelling and original documentaries I've seen for a long time, focussing primarily on the human impact of Hurricane Katrina.

Go watch it. Be prepared for an infuriating and heartbreaking experience though.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• trip919 28 Mar 2010 13:26:01 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was that a documentary that was just on TV?
  • The_Killing_Joke 28 Mar 2010 14:21:24 262 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This seems good, but I'm more excited about this: Boardwalk Empire

The production includes Martin Scorcese and Terrence Winter (Sopranos Writer).
    And it has actors like Buscemi and Michael Williams (from The Wire)
    Oh and it's HBO too, and the trailler looks awesome.

• Deleted user 28 March 2010 14:47:22
    This thread reminds me I have to watch the Wire seasons 3-5 yet.
  • M83J01P97 28 Mar 2010 15:05:43 6,717 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The_Killing_Joke wrote:
    This seems good, but I'm more excited about this: Boardwalk Empire

The production includes Martin Scorcese and Terrence Winter (Sopranos Writer).
    And it has actors like Buscemi and Michael Williams (from The Wire)
    Oh and it's HBO too, and the trailler looks awesome.

Yeah, apparently this IS the new Sopranos in terms of it just bleeding quality from start to finish.

HBO can do no wrong it seems though.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2010 15:09:43
    M83J01P97 wrote:

Not quite true, they cancelled Deadwood.
  • M83J01P97 28 Mar 2010 15:11:48 6,717 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:
    M83J01P97 wrote:

Wasn't that because the show was simply costing too much to make and wasn't bringing in enough viewing figures though?

At least they gave the chance a good run, unlike any other network does with underachievers.
  • localnotail 29 Mar 2010 23:26:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    On a related note, just finished watching 'Trouble the Water'. One of the most compelling and original documentaries I've seen for a long time, focussing primarily on the human impact of Hurricane Katrina.

Go watch it. Be prepared for an infuriating and heartbreaking experience though.

I'll look for it, thanks. Spike Lee's "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts" is also well worth a watch, if you can bear it

• PearOfAnguish 1 Apr 2010 10:50:53 7,501 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    David Mills died yesterday.
  • TakeTheVeil 1 Apr 2010 11:07:51 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jaysus.. brain aneurysm. Very young. RIP
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2010 15:38:35 24,449 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thought I'd give a heads up, as Treme starts tonight in the US. Available from your usual friendly neighbourhood download stores tomorrow, I would imagine.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• urban 11 Apr 2010 15:50:52 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah, paitently awaiting this one. :D
  • Benno 11 Apr 2010 23:29:33 10,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    this is going to be sweet, cant wait for tomorrow
  • Deleted user 12 April 2010 08:53:42
    Not sure.
  • BinaryBob101 12 Apr 2010 15:34:02 24,449 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    About what?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 12 April 2010 15:38:05
    About this.

Having seen the first episode now, my fears have allayed a little. Solid start.
  • BinaryBob101 12 Apr 2010 15:44:08 24,449 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh sorry, I thought you meant you weren't sure of it's quality having already seen the episode.

It was good though, yeah?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 12 April 2010 15:44:54
    Yeah, it was OK. A good start.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Apr 2010 15:47:04 17,396 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:

I was under the impression that the creator and producer of Deadwood was the one who pulled out so he could go and make John from Cincinnati.

Oh and fuck all you downloading bastards :-P

You are a factory of sadness.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous