Sharepoint...

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • henro_ben 25 Mar 2010 16:37:51 2,192 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone have any experience with Sharepoint? Actually, more to the point, can anyone recommend something other than sharepoint to use as an intranet / document repository / collaboration tool...?

I don't know that much about Sharepoint, but so far it looks like a hugely complicated mess, and everything I've read about it seems to confirm that it's a bloated pile of crap that doesn't actually work that well...?

I was wondering if drupal might do? Have heard some good things about it but am very much on the fence at the mo' - we've already got a sharepoint server running which nobody seems to understand & the powers that be have said if I can find something better then go for it...!

Incidently I'm a graphic/web designer & feeling just a little out of my depth at the moment...

Any help gratefully received!
  • corimi 25 Mar 2010 16:45:37 1,311 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure what your requirements are exactly, but have you considered the likes of Basecamp (http://basecamphq.com/) or Action Method (http://www.actionmethod.com/)?

A wiki installation might also work for you I guess, depends what you need to do really.
  • Spanky 25 Mar 2010 16:45:47 14,448 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of our clients used basecamp and i was pretty impressed with it.

We use sharepoint internally and it's a bloated slow piece of fucking shit. 0/10

Plubs

• Spanky 25 Mar 2010 16:46:15 14,448 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/

Plubs

• Nasty 25 Mar 2010 16:48:04 4,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Google Apps

/runs
  • mal 25 Mar 2010 16:53:38 21,958 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We're in the process of migrating to sharepoint, which is intended to replace the mass of off-the-shelf and hand crafted wikis, forums, newsgroups, web apps and email lists. Needless to say, there's been a lot of push-back, given the existing systems do pretty much what they're designed to do, and sharepoint... doesn't.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• henro_ben 25 Mar 2010 16:55:19 2,192 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooooh... basecamp looks interesting. Haven't encountered that before, time to do some reading...

Ta muchly.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2010 17:04:18
    We use Sharepoint.

Its "not very good". Its possible for instance to delete a document without anyone being able to stop you. Its also possible to replace a document with a new one and erase all the previous versions and the change records. Just checking out a document to work on is complicated and if you Save As to your hard drive, it stops you being able to check it back in as it tends to forget where it was.

So yeah, its shit

Apart from that it is very hard to search / navigate around and falls over if you are uploading too much to it.

We're switching eventually to Solution Manager (SAP). I prefer proper repositories like PVCS etc where you can lock things out.
  • RunningMan 25 Mar 2010 21:50:01 2,356 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AngeleDei wrote:
    We use Sharepoint.

Its "not very good". Its possible for instance to delete a document without anyone being able to stop you. Its also possible to replace a document with a new one and erase all the previous versions and the change records. Just checking out a document to work on is complicated and if you Save As to your hard drive, it stops you being able to check it back in as it tends to forget where it was.

So yeah, its shit

Apart from that it is very hard to search / navigate around and falls over if you are uploading too much to it.

We're switching eventually to Solution Manager (SAP). I prefer proper repositories like PVCS etc where you can lock things out.

+1, bloody hate using it. Only works properly with IE and the wiki stuff is just wrong. You have to generate all the wiki stuff with a UI which take ages and makes any migration of documents a real pain.
  • Dunneh 25 Mar 2010 22:13:50 150 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I introduced sharepoint to our company and they have never looked back. So long as you have a solid understanding of your requirements and know it's limits, Sharepoint is incredibly powerful, especially when combined with the office suite and things like office communication server. Workflows, presence, version control, and document collaboration are features you get out of the box.

Once again though,
    Know your requirements or you will end up with a piss poor intranet site that might as well be a file server.
  • MightyMouse 25 Mar 2010 23:26:44 1,091 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mmm methinks you need better sharepoint developers or to buy from a better consultancy.
  • JammyB 25 Mar 2010 23:40:04 756 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well that's the problem, to get Sharepoint working properly you have to hire a dedicated Sharepoint developer (and they don't come cheap) because no normal developer will be able to set it up correclty or even want to touch that shit. You're certainly not going to be able to hire a graduate who knows this stuff.

Wikis and Basecamp are superior solutions, a piece of piss to set up and cheaper/free.
  • MightyMouse 26 Mar 2010 01:26:59 1,091 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah you won't be taught sharepoint in any degree course (though can you even learn .net in a degree course?) but for organisations that aren't big enough to hire their own sharepoint devs you should be looking to buy from someone who will tailor the product to your needs and then either have your IT team maintain it or hire third party support. I know that's not always easy (in education for example there's basically one CRM product and they just won't help tailor it) but there's no good alternative.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next