General Android questions Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• jablonski 17 May 2014 20:39:02 4,839 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    Fair enough, didn't think there were places left in the UK that struggled to get 3G. I don't think I would bother with fancy new phone if I didn't have spotify, netflix, dropbox etc. always connected with unlimited data.
    On my train journey from Twickenham to Waterloo every day I cant stream shit on 3G or 4G. Spotify works ok but any kind of video and its unpossible for more than 2 minutes at a time, really frustrating. And its not like that journey is in the middle of nowhere.

One of the reasons I ditched giffgaff is that unlimited internet was doing nothing for me, I have wifi at home and wifi at work, so commuting was the only time I need 3/4G and you cant stream video commuting so whats the point.

Oh and if all you do is stream video and Spotify then I think a smartphone is actually wasted on YOU my friend.
    Seem to remember Barnes to Putney being a total blackspot when I commuted there
  • nickthegun 17 May 2014 20:44:15 61,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where I live in oxfordshire is pretty shit. I never get 3G, except on rare occasions. I get G at home, E if im at the window and its a its a pretty big town. Annoyingly, my dad lives up in the arse end of the peak district and he gets H+

So far, ive had O2 and Vodafone, both shit, so im canvassing colleagues at work to see what they get. Ive only got a 250mb data allowance which I never hit because transfer speeds are so shit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• jablonski 17 May 2014 20:57:05 4,839 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got a huawei ascend y300 (lost 2 phones this year, so buying cheap from now on).

It's ridiculously sluggish. What are my options for changing the OS on this thing?
    It say it's already updated to the latest android firmware, but could I root it or something like that to get a better OS on?

Never rooted a phone, so not really sure if that would help.
  • Syrette 18 May 2014 17:26:53 44,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How would i go about being able to automatically extract zip files I've downloaded?

Every time I download a zip file on my phone from a site such as Mediafire (on the stock browser, and Chrome), it downloads seemingly fine then says "can't open file" and (therefore) "download unsuccessful".

I downloaded AndroZip, Download All Files, Easy Unrar and WinZip and none were any use for this problem.

• TheBigDaddy 18 May 2014 20:11:39 136 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Syrette wrote:
    How would i go about being able to automatically extract zip files I've downloaded?

Every time I download a zip file on my phone from a site such as Mediafire (on the stock browser, and Chrome), it downloads seemingly fine then says "can't open file" and (therefore) "download unsuccessful".

I downloaded AndroZip, Download All Files, Easy Unrar and WinZip and none were any use for this problem.
    I use ZArchiver which does the job. Also use Dolphin browser although you should be okay with Chrome along with ZArchiver.
  • Tonka 10 Nov 2014 11:07:49 21,339 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gods damn but my Nexus 4 has been buggy lately. Loads of Gogle apps stop running in the background. Could it be that htey are all primed for LOLipop butmy phone is on KitKat still?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• THFourteen 10 Nov 2014 11:08:16 34,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ShitShat
  • Commander-Keen 10 Nov 2014 11:20:38 845 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Something definitely seems to be up of late - my phone is getting absolutely tanned on its' battery life for no reason at all. Normally it would last 24 hours, but at the moment it's down to 40% in a matter of a few hours and running hot. Can't work out what's causing it!
  • prawnking1980 10 Nov 2014 11:28:04 5,192 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Chrome seems to be draining my battery a lot, had been accounting for around a quarter of the battery drain.
  • Salaman 10 Nov 2014 11:38:34 19,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm eagerly awaiting lolipop as it has indeed been running flakey of late.
    Go into google now and type somethign into the search bar and I get "google search has stopped" almost every time.

And I hope they finally fix that bloody "once/always" thing. Don't ask me whether you should use that application from now on or not if you're just going to ignore my input and ask me again each bloody time.
  • brokenkey 10 Nov 2014 13:17:16 7,154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doesn't help that the naughty google apps (music, g+) delete their footprint from the battery monitor.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• ILoveThrashMetal 10 Nov 2014 15:03:52 825 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Stopping them all from syncing I found was a good way to help with battery life.
    I stopped it for most of the Google services and stuck a sync icon on my home screen if I wanted to check for emails or if I added music to play.
    I also use lux for the screen.

Arsechickens

• L0cky 11 Nov 2014 16:04:01 1,556 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is lollipop supposed to be rolling out today?
  • mikew1985 11 Nov 2014 16:11:04 13,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomorrow I think.
  • the_milkybar_kid 11 Nov 2014 16:16:57 823 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Are the updates rolled out on all platforms (LG, Sony, Samsung) at the same time or are they incremental?
  • Tonka 11 Nov 2014 16:35:49 21,339 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's up to the manufacturer.

• Sharzam 11 Nov 2014 16:36:46 3,358 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

Your new to Android I guess. It is up to each individual manufacturer to apply android versions to their UI and then the carriers to green light it.

Basically anything except Nexus will get an update when the companies feel like it. Might be a week, might be a year. Sony aren't to bad but LG are terrible for example.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Tonka 11 Nov 2014 16:37:39 21,339 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Salaman they reset when you update either of the apps involved. With all the updates recently..

• TheBlackDog 11 Nov 2014 17:01:56 426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a good app for managing ram and apps better. My Nook hd+ is constantly force closing my browser. I can't stream music from deezer and browse at the same time without deezer crashing. I think it's because of low ram and other apps.

I am rooted on a release build of CM11 (4.4) but I've never had to use a utility to manage stuff on my android phones - its just the nook which is a bit of a pain but other than that I love the screen and format of the device.
  • Tonka 11 Nov 2014 17:32:40 21,339 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CCleaner

• TheBlackDog 11 Nov 2014 19:00:09 426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tonka What the flip? I didn't think of that - have it on my PC, but didn't realise there was an app. Cheers
  • crashVoodoo 11 Nov 2014 20:57:37 4,015 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    @the_milkybar_kid

Your new to Android I guess. It is up to each individual manufacturer to apply android versions to their UI and then the carriers to green light it.

Basically anything except Nexus will get an update when the companies feel like it. Might be a week, might be a year. Sony aren't to bad but LG are terrible for example.
    And yet LG are to be first out of the gate on their flagship g3

Manufacturers update firmware and release it to the public and carriers. If, like me you always get a model from a reseller (like Carphone warehouse etc.) then the handset is an unlocked model and as such you can grab the update now.

If you bought a locked phone from the carrier with their own tweaked firmware and extra shovel were then you are now waiting for them to dick about with the update some more before releasing.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• the_milkybar_kid 12 Nov 2014 09:31:42 823 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Sharzam I've been on Android for a few years now, pretty much exclusively on Samsung, but now on the Z3. Just thought that might be the case as Samsung always seemed to have the updates readily available (I never took much notice as to when the big updates came).Looks like there's no official release date from them but they are working on brining it soon(y).
  • Tonka 12 Nov 2014 11:15:55 21,339 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheBlackDog wrote:
    @Tonka What the flip? I didn't think of that - have it on my PC, but didn't realise there was an app. Cheers
    It's in some public Beta isn't it? I'm very pleased with it although I read a lot of people were upset about it doing RAM cleaning. "That's not necessary on Android" apparently.

Reading about the problems ppl had with clearing space on their iPhones made me remember CCleaner and I freed up plenty of room for Lollipop.

Whenever that comes around.

• Salaman 12 Nov 2014 11:22:24 19,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Salaman they reset when you update either of the apps involved. With all the updates recently..
    That would explain some of it but I'm pretty sure when I get a voicemail and I click on the number in the SMS notifying me that there's a voicemail waiting, it always, every single time, pops up with the option to use the dialler or skype.
  • Tonka 12 Nov 2014 20:24:05 21,339 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just read that Google has started rolling out lollipop to nexus devices. Anyone got it yet?

• prawnking1980 12 Nov 2014 20:28:04 5,192 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just checked neither 5 or 7 updating yet.
  • neilka 12 Nov 2014 20:28:22 16,527 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Page

of 11 First / Last