• Page

of 9 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 17:11:35 3,821 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    Whatsfor wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Erm, wait, so if I walk into a store and buy a Desire tomorrow, I'll get the pretty one? I have no idea what this G1/G2 nonsense is.

G1. First ever Android (old).
    G2. AKA Desire Z.
    Desire Current Android top seller?

K I was planning on getting the desire HD tomorrow. What can I expect on that? I really am a bit lost when it comes to these.
    you get the newest version of sense UI. even better than the one thats on the regular desire.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Whatsfor 9 Dec 2010 17:12:12 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't understand what you want to expect?

Do you mean it's software?

Android 2.2 (FroYo) with Sense UI.

Do you mean expectations of its quality?

Brilliant aluminium body with a great screen.

Expectations of its battery life?

Sub par, but expected due to the screen size.

Care to elaborate Stephen?
  • stephenb 9 Dec 2010 17:12:58 2,680 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for that I can now wipe the smarmy grin of the grease ball sales persons face when I pretend to know what I'm talking about :)

@whatsfor : Sorry, just meant the UI

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• RyanDS 9 Dec 2010 17:14:32 8,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    Cheers for that I can now wipe the smarmy grin of the grease ball sales person when I pretend to know what I'm talking about :)

Where are you getting it?

I suggest Carphone Warehouse as that way you get the proper model, not the Orange / T-Mobile / Whatever fucked over version.

• Deleted user 9 December 2010 17:16:52
    t-mobile version of the desire is pretty clean, barring an ident on startup. no handset branding and no bloatware, as far as I can see.
  • crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 17:17:17 3,821 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    Cheers for that I can now wipe the smarmy grin of the grease ball sales persons face when I pretend to know what I'm talking about :)

@whatsfor : Sorry, just meant the UI
    are you upgrading or is it a new contract ?
    you'll have more options going into CW or phones4u tariff wise but the biggest draw for me was getting an unlocked unbranded handset.

I went with tmob purely for the 3gb internet, it did help that the signal near my home/work is rock solid but the handset is a pure handset as if i'd bought it sim free. no logos or modified firmware.

• crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 17:18:07 3,821 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    stephenb wrote:
    Cheers for that I can now wipe the smarmy grin of the grease ball sales person when I pretend to know what I'm talking about :)

I suggest Carphone Warehouse as that way you get the proper model, not the Orange / T-Mobile / Whatever fucked over version.

lol, what he said ...

• stephenb 9 Dec 2010 17:21:45 2,680 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    stephenb wrote:

lol, what he said ...

Thanks guys. It's an upgrade from Carphone. I would never have known Orange or T-mob would be inferior, why is that exactly?

• mikew1985 9 Dec 2010 17:23:57 12,123 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Asked int he HTC devices thread as well but just in case anyone here has heard anything?

Is there any preliminary word on Gingerbread rollout for the Desire?

I know its very early doors but still.
  • crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 17:27:44 3,821 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    stephenb wrote:

lol, what he said ...

Thanks guys. It's an upgrade from Carphone. I would never have known Orange or T-mob would be inferior, why is that exactly?
    its not restricted to them specifially but carriers like to tweak the firmwares to remove some features and allow them to charge for it (like wifi hotspot) or put on an additional marketplace or demos that can't be removed.

vodafone did it with their 360 software and there was uproar over it

• RyanDS 9 Dec 2010 17:30:00 8,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Orange have:

Phone runs slower due to bloatware
    Stuff removed
    Stuff hidden and replaced with their stuff. (Market hidden and instead you are lured into thinking their shitty stoere is the app store)
    Demos and stuff that take up space AND CANNOT BE REMOVED

Orange version from Carphone Warehouse is fine, it is not the Orange version from Orange direct.
  • Whatsfor 9 Dec 2010 17:42:34 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    stephenb wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    stephenb wrote:

lol, what he said ...

its not restricted to them specifially but carriers like to tweak the firmwares to remove some features and allow them to charge for it (like wifi hotspot) or put on an additional marketplace or demos that can't be removed.

vodafone did it with their 360 software and there was uproar over it

That was my uproar! \o/

I started Twitter and Facebook campaigns and the media attention picked up. Vodafone removed the bloatware =D
  • Deleted user 10 December 2010 15:27:11
    TT/WF, if I change my system font to something (helvet neue light eg) will it change all the fonts on my widgets? and if I do decide to do it, is it difficult/time-consuming? and where do I get the font, can I use the one from OS X?
  • PearOfAnguish 10 Dec 2010 15:50:52 6,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The font change is system-wide and goes across all apps. Provided you have a rooted phone already changing the font is not difficult nor does it take long. You can use the ADB push method or there's an app that'll do it.

As for getting the font, I guess you could pull it from OSX, or ask Google.
  • Deleted user 10 December 2010 15:53:33
    thanks, POA, now to work out how to root. I can one-click root using an app on my phone can't I?

/to google
  • Deleted user 10 December 2010 16:16:07
    OK, that was easy. now to figure out how to change fonts. what else can I do?

hmm... trying to use typefresh to change the font. but it's not prompting me to reboot after I apply fonts. when I do reboot, nothing's changed. : /
  • Carlo 10 Dec 2010 16:34:13 17,914 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Orange have:

Phone runs slower due to bloatware
    Stuff removed
    Stuff hidden and replaced with their stuff. (Market hidden and instead you are lured into thinking their shitty stoere is the app store)
    Demos and stuff that take up space AND CANNOT BE REMOVED

Orange version from Carphone Warehouse is fine, it is not the Orange version from Orange direct.
    So do you think a phone on Orange brought from Dial-a-phone will be non-bloated too?

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 10 December 2010 17:16:23
    seems typefresh doesn't work on rooted desires... guess I'll need to learn wth ADB is... ~big sigh~
  • PearOfAnguish 10 Dec 2010 17:31:29 6,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try this: Font Changer

Worked for me. If you need the font, PM me.
  • stephenb 10 Dec 2010 18:25:18 2,680 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for all the help yesterday guys. I am now the proud owner of a desire HD. It's bloody wonderful!

• terminalterror 10 Dec 2010 20:26:03 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    Thanks for all the help yesterday guys. I am now the proud owner of a desire HD. It's bloody wonderful!

My one key tip would be to try appbrain.com (in conjunction with the appbrain app) instead of the android marketplace when trying out lots of new apps. It is much simpler/quicker (even after the fast installer stopped working).
  • Deleted user 13 December 2010 11:08:18
    game dev story is now out!!!! :D
  • Deleted user 13 December 2010 11:53:30
    cunt puncher's first game, quim story, only shipped 36k lifetime :''/
  • DFawkes 6 Apr 2012 18:21:50 22,103 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread shall do nicely.

I've just got a new Memory Card for my Xperia Play and want to copy everything across from the old one to the new one, but I can't get it to work.

Google generally seems to give results that say you can just move across all the files (ensuring you also move hidden files), so I've tried that. I tried moving it using an SD Card adapter to move the entire contents of the old 8GB card to the new 32GB one, but that didn't work (except 1 application, Shadowgun).

Then I tried plugging it into my PC while the card is still in the phone, copying all the files to my PC, then back onto the phone with the new card in. This also didn't work, same thing. None of the applications work except Shadowgun.

The PC Application gubbins and Media Go aren't any use either. Any ideas?

Edit: Not that anyone cares, but just so you aren't left in suspense I'm fairly sure it was either a hardware fault or driver problems with the SD Card slot of my PC. I've got a seperate USB SD Card reader so I'm using that and it seems to be going very well so far :)

Edited by DFawkes at 19:54:48 06-04-2012

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Syrette 7 Apr 2012 02:34:53 41,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Worth noting that most recent Android phones actually support 64GB cards as far as I'm aware - not just openly/officially. My HTC Sensation XE has no problem at all with my 64GB card even though its supposed total capacity is 32GB.

edit; I must have drank too much last night, misread some of that post

Edited by Syrette at 12:37:07 07-04-2012

• Dougs 7 Apr 2012 06:26:04 64,963 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had that before, some internal card readers don't like SDHC cards or cards over a certain size. That'll be your problem.
  • crashVoodoo 7 Apr 2012 12:26:15 3,821 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Had that before, some internal card readers don't like SDHC cards or cards over a certain size. That'll be your problem.
    I was thinking that as I read down the page.
    He should be able to me mount the removable storage via his phone and copy it all that way.  Then remount the new card and copy it all back.

• crashVoodoo 23 Apr 2012 21:20:59 3,821 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sometimes I take for granted the flexibility of android

• Vortex808 29 Apr 2012 18:48:52 6,573 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just updated my galaxy s2 to ics this week. My battery life seems much worse. Getting a day at best, before needing to charge. I used to be able to eke it out for more before. My usage is fairly constant, so it seems to be a post-update thing.

Anyone else got the same, or any ideas on what to do/try?

I have altered the screen brightness etc and it doesn't seem to be updating/syncing unless I ask it to.
  • Dougs 29 Apr 2012 19:43:50 64,963 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Turned off background data again? Less obvious on ICS. Can't say I've noticed any difference tbh.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last