Turn it on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Kosmoz 9 Dec 2010 15:43:13 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    What can you do with 750MB internet in a month? How much of everything will it enable me to do?
    Bottom of the page curse

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• RyanDS 9 Dec 2010 15:44:45 9,073 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I use maybe 200 a month, and I use the internet quite a lot on my phone.

Saying that if you are going to use youtube more than once a week or so then expect that figure to go up dramatically.

Basically if you avoid videos then you will never reach your limit.
  • mingster 9 Dec 2010 15:47:50 3,270 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The best bit about android is no Itunes!
  • Kosmoz 9 Dec 2010 15:48:25 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What about downloading apps and such? Does the size of the app downloaded come off the amout? Like if I download a 20mb app i will have 730mb left to use?

• Whatsfor 9 Dec 2010 15:49:34 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    All this talk of hacking and froyo (whatever that is) and stuff... what am I actually going to have to do to my Desire to get it in decent working order?

Absolutely nothing!
  • Whatsfor 9 Dec 2010 15:51:48 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    What about downloading apps and such? Does the size of the app downloaded come off the amout? Like if I download a 20mb app i will have 730mb left to use?

If you download it on your 3G connection then yes.

If your on a WiFi connection then it won't impact your allowance...

• crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 16:00:12 3,853 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    All this talk of hacking and froyo (whatever that is) and stuff... what am I actually going to have to do to my Desire to get it in decent working order?
    nothing. its in perfect working order straight from the box. i just prefer stock android so I rooted it and flashed a stock rom. This is nothing you need to worry about and was purely for my own taste. a quick google will show you the difference between stock and sense interface. lots of people like sense.

what I find nuts is in the US, the G2 was released with stock android and people are flashing the desires sense rom on it. Over here, its other way around. Grass is greener and all that ...

froyo is the friendly name given to the android versions. We've had cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo (frozen yoghurt). the next is gingerbread and the one scheduled after that is honeycomb. See a trend ?

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• ProfessorLesser 9 Dec 2010 16:09:31 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right. Um. Yeah...

EDIT: A quick google doesn't really seem to be helping, since I've no idea what I'm looking for.
  • crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 16:12:07 3,853 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:

as Whatsfor said. There is an app on the market called 3g watchdog that just sits in your notification tray counting your data usage. A quick swipe down and you can see what you've used. Set it up on your billing cycle and it will reset each month.

Couple it with the apndroid app and it will actually disable your internet when you hit a predfined limit to prevent you getting billed for going over your bundle allowance.

• crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 16:15:58 3,853 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sense UI screenshots

Stock Android - on Nexus One

• ProfessorLesser 9 Dec 2010 16:19:14 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok. I guess I'll have to have a play around to see what I actually prefer. What will my Desire come with? The Stock?
  • Kosmoz 9 Dec 2010 16:22:13 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:

as Whatsfor said. There is an app on the market called 3g watchdog that just sits in your notification tray counting your data usage. A quick swipe down and you can see what you've used. Set it up on your billing cycle and it will reset each month.

Couple it with the apndroid app and it will actually disable your internet when you hit a predfined limit to prevent you getting billed for going over your bundle allowance.
    Thanks, I'll have a look for it when i get my new phone.

• crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 16:28:55 3,853 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Ok. I guess I'll have to have a play around to see what I actually prefer. What will my Desire come with? The Stock?
    All HTC devices barring the original G1 and the newer G2 come with SenseUI.
    When you get some time, check out some hands on videos of the desire or just go and play with one and see what you think.

• ProfessorLesser 9 Dec 2010 16:33:23 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Erm, wait, so if I walk into a store and buy a Desire tomorrow, I'll get the pretty one? I have no idea what this G1/G2 nonsense is.
  • Whatsfor 9 Dec 2010 16:36:45 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sense UI is HTC's overlay on top of Stock Android.

It's like a skin/theme that runs on top of the Android foundation.

Because this is the Android thread and not the HTC thread here are a few others;

Sony Ericsson = TimeScape
    Samsung = TouchWiz 3.0
    Motorola = MotoBlur
    LG = Well I'm not too sure...

HTC's Sense is generally regarded as the best third party overlay with some/lots preferring it to stock Android.
  • crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 16:37:25 3,853 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LOL, yes you will get the pretty one. Forget i mentioned G1 and G2 ...

• RyanDS 9 Dec 2010 16:39:04 9,073 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't get a branded version. Orange for example kill a lot of the good stuff, have demos for shitty games that you can't remove and generally fuck you over.

I ended up rooting my phone to the stock sense ROM and suddenly it is much, much better.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2010 16:40:32
    mingster wrote:

the worst bit about android is it doesn't work with itunes! (I realise I'm probably alone in actually liking itunes on EG; I am on a mac tho, and it is better on mac by all accounts)
  • Whatsfor 9 Dec 2010 16:43:00 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Erm, wait, so if I walk into a store and buy a Desire tomorrow, I'll get the pretty one? I have no idea what this G1/G2 nonsense is.

G1. First ever Android (old).
    G2. AKA Desire Z.
    Desire Current Android top seller?
  • DJCopa 9 Dec 2010 16:47:32 1,055 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just thought I'd add a bit for anyone using a Samsung Galaxy S. I'm on T-Mobile so at long last got the 2.2 froyo update yesterday (Flash online/Save to SD card being the main updates). However, the 'lag' on the phone was still really annoying - Scrolling between screens and opening apps was taking an age (10-15 secs).
    Anyway, just installed Z4Root (XDA forums - Not marketplace), which 'roots' phone with 1 click - No need to copy tonnes of files on/off phone. Then applied 'Voodoo One Click Lag Fix' from Marketplace - Now have an awesome phone which responds when I want it to!

• crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 16:48:01 3,853 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    mingster wrote:

the worst bit about android is it doesn't work with iTunes!
    it really doesn't need. It shows as a drive and will work with pretty much any media synching software (windows media player, winamp etc) If they don't float your boat, then just copy and paste music into a folder on the drive and android will find it.

multiple options ftw!

• Deleted user 9 December 2010 16:53:33
    ... and all the playlists I've put together over ten years of using itunes? (there is actually a work around but it's crap, via itunemywalkman)
  • crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2010 16:56:16 3,853 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    i know this is going to be a silly question but ... can you not export playlists in itunes to a pls file or equivalent ?

• LFMartins 9 Dec 2010 16:57:37 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you can import those playlists with Winamp.

Here you go.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2010 16:59:11
    ooooh... I dunno, will go have a fiddle. if it's over elaborate tho I'm scoring it iphone 2 - 0 desire ;P

ah, that's for *spit* PC users, LFM. thanks tho.
  • Whatsfor 9 Dec 2010 17:00:24 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    ... and all the playlists I've put together over ten years of using itunes? (there is actually a work around but it's crap, via itunemywalkman)

That's a side affect of using one mans walled garden software.

Anyone remember the Berlin Wall? iTunes = East Germany. IMO.
  • mikew1985 9 Dec 2010 17:04:41 12,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah, once you get used to it Winamp is far superior, problem is you're just used to iTunes. If you get the winamp android app you can even wireless sync music over your home wifi connection \o/

Edit: Oh you're one of them poor unfortunate Mac owning ihipsters ;P
  • stephenb 9 Dec 2010 17:07:52 2,731 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

G1. First ever Android (old).
    G2. AKA Desire Z.
    Desire Current Android top seller?

K I was planning on getting the desire HD tomorrow. What can I expect on that? I really am a bit lost when it comes to these.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• mikew1985 9 Dec 2010 17:11:15 12,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sense.

Any of the newer HTC devices run Sense as standard.
    The Desire HD is actually running a slightly more enhanced version of the software with some nifty little built in anti theft and remote deactivation stuff.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last