Nintendo 3DS Page 324

• Page

of 363 First / Last

• zoolophage 24 Oct 2013 20:19:03 1,678 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Do you subscribe to ONM? I've checked every shop in my area and it's definitely not in yet. They still have last months in. I know people give them a hard time, but they're really not as bad as they once were.
    No, I'm not a subscriber. I picked it up today in a big WH Smith in Glasgow. I started reading it a few months ago and was really quite sceptical at first but I have to say that they do have interesting articles. The reviews are a little generous at times but they do give games bad reviews. I now look forward to reading it every month.

They also have a good preview of 3D Mario World (looks amazing) and a little bit about the 3DS Kirby (hooray!). Bunch of posters is this month's free tat.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• DFawkes 24 Oct 2013 22:21:18 22,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always assumed they just didn't bother delivering on time to Scotland (as it's frequently late), but now it seems it's just Fife! I like reading it though. The features can be quite good, and their reviews are mostly fair. Their Ocarina of Time review was awful though. It started with a list of spoilers, basically saying "here is a list of stuff we wish we could experience for the first time again", ruining them for anyone that hadn't!

No, I'm not sour about it :p Still good for reviews for stuff other places miss.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 24 October 2013 22:51:27
    DFawkes wrote:
    It started with a list of spoilers, basically saying "here is a list of stuff we wish we could experience for the first time again", ruining them for anyone that hadn't!

Haha, indeed, the irony. Hate spoilers.
  • PrivateFloyd 24 Oct 2013 23:01:17 4,115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone got any decent hands on with the 2DS?

99 for me to get some Luigi, Mario, Zelda action over Xmas almost seems like a no brainer.

Not fussed about the screen size, 3D gave me headaches too. 50 more though and I get a bigger screen with an option to turn it off.

hmmmmm.

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 24 Oct 2013 23:02:54 4,115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, that post was a right incoherent ramble.

I was referring to being able to get an XL for 150 compared to the 99 2DS.

Thinking about cancelling my xbone pre-order and waiting until after Christmas.

Decisions.

Goat is hungry.....

• MrFlay 24 Oct 2013 23:23:09 655 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you're going to use it a lot then the bigger screen and more comfortable (?) shape might be an advantage. I don't care about 3D at all but the 3DS XL has a bigger screen and feels pretty good in my hands. I haven't held the 2DS but it looks less comfortable.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 23:35:22
    These days, being used to bigger screens on everything, I'm not sure I could go back to a screen smaller than the PSP screen for example.

I'd get the XL for the extra 50 bar. Plus the 2DS looks absurd, and doesn't protect itself like the classic clamshell design.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 23:51:38
    I've got a 2ds and think it is great. Actually really like the form factor (reminds me original gameboys but do wish it had a better build quality. I do get the feeling at times I should have gotten an xl but I can't bring myself to do that considering they were so cheap at one point.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 01:27:42
    XL's were so cheap at one point? How much? They seem to have been hovering around the 175 mark forever, only recently going down to 150 on Amazon.
  • mal 25 Oct 2013 01:38:33 22,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They were cheaper than this for all of May, and dropped down to 120 quid for a few days in early June, but have been this price or above since then.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 25 October 2013 01:58:18
    Weird, didn't know that, why would the price drop for a couple of months and then go back up? Not sure I've ever seen that before with consoles.
  • mal 25 Oct 2013 02:49:05 22,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Amazon are always playing sillybuggers with their prices. Usually, someone's clearing stock and Amazon just have to price match that until they run out, then boom - back up to full price again.

• Deleted user 25 October 2013 03:06:01
    Ah yeah of course, Amazon's prices change on a daily basis, it's nuts.

I completely forgot I bought my Wii U for 150 on Amazon, they were that price for a while, to match Asda's price.
  • MoGamer2006 25 Oct 2013 09:30:47 975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got my XL for 110 using a 10 discount code in tandem with the 120 sale price - I WIN!!!
  • Raiko101 25 Oct 2013 10:27:04 6,218 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got my 3DS at launch and eventually got 10 pretty decent GBA games, including Yoshi's Island, Metroid Fusion, Fire Emblem, WarioWare and Zelda. What do I win?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• zisssou 26 Oct 2013 18:01:29 601 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I rarely use my 3DS at the moment and thinking of selling it. If only ebay didn't take such a cut..
  • Deleted user 26 October 2013 19:10:23
    For anyone who is interested in the XL but apprehensive due to how shit the normal 3DS screen is, here is a good comparison.

Looks like they have improved the top screen from the pathetic, washed out normal one with crap viewing angles. Bottom one still looks awful, but the top one is the most important, and it looks like that did get an upgrade.

• Murbal 26 Oct 2013 19:18:02 22,083 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    3DS XL froze twice yesterday when I woke it up from sleep (power clearly on, screens wouldn't come on)... First time ejecting the cart and faffing around with the wireless switch got it working, second time? Nothing. Lights on, no-one home.

Unscrewed the back (proper phillips heads! Yay!)and took out the battery. Left it for a few minutes...

Now it's fine; I had to restart the download I was performing at the time but it's working ok - quite fearful now though that it'll happen again :-(
    I'm going to have to do this - over the last few weeks every couple of days the 3DS XL just turns off despite having a full battery. Then says it's the first of Jan 2011 etc.
    Bloody thing has done it again. Very concerned now :-(
  • mal 26 Oct 2013 19:52:53 22,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Looks like they have improved the top screen from the pathetic, washed out normal one with crap viewing angles. Bottom one still looks awful, but the top one is the most important, and it looks like that did get an upgrade.

They've overexposed the normal 3DS screens in that shot, so you can't really say anything about the contrast. I also can't say I've heard anyone complain about 3DS viewing angles in 2D mode, and in 3D mode it's a different issue.

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 20:06:50
    @mal How have they overexposed the normal 3DS shots, when they are right next to each other in the same shot? Looks like a fair representation to me. They are right next to each other in natural light, and the XL looks to have far more colour and contrast.

I used to have a normal 3DS and the viewing angles in 2D mode were horrendous. You had to have the screen at just the right angle, or it would look even more washed out and crap than usual. Put to shame by my 6 year old PSP.

The reason I'm interested in an XL is I'm hoping the screen is a significant upgrade.
  • mal 26 Oct 2013 20:28:46 22,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Natural light is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to backlit screens. I can only assume the original 3DS is slightly brighter than the 3DSXL (either by design, or by configuration - I can't tell). To be fair it's less overexposed in the first, straight-ahead shot, but actually in both shots the focus is on the buttons, not the screens which penalises the higher resolution of the original 3DS more. It's just not a great comparison shot as far as the screens go, so I don't think you can take anything much from it.

And it sounds like you've got a duff 3DS. I can view my top screen at angles up to 45 degrees in 2D mode without significant loss of contrast. Granted it's not the brightest or sharpest screens around even looking straight on.

Still, I've heard nothing but good things about the XL screen compared to the original, other than the necessarily reduced resolution.

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 21:07:05
    It might not be the best comparison shot, but there's really nothing wrong with it. The lighting is fine, they're at the same angle and distance, and it's sufficiently in focus.

As you've heard nothing but good things about the XL screen compared to the original, the most logical conclusion would be that the comparison is in fact pretty accurate no? :D

It's possible I had a duff 3DS, but I'm not so sure. It pretty much looked like those pics above. Washed out with awful contrast, black levels and viewing angles.
  • Kay 26 Oct 2013 21:48:05 17,820 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The XL screens are a little less brighter than the original, yes. Also (on mine at least) the colour is a little warmer (yellow) on the XL.

Honestly don't know what you mean by washed-out colours or bad viewing angles, though. They looked vibrant and great to me on the original 3DS, and they look pretty much the same on the XL. Obviously if you're comparing to superior screen tech (like the Vita's OLED) it won't look as good, but it's not exactly a deal-breaker.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2013 21:56:07
    Nah I'm not comparing it to cutting edge tech at all. My 3DS screen looked shit compared to a PSP, and believe it or not the viewing angles and contrast were slightly worse than my DS Lite.

The Wu Gamepad screen also destroys it, in fact it holds up remarkably well even to a high end plasma.

My 3DS screen basically looked like the shots above. Even head on the PQ wasn't good, but off angle, it looked as washed out and rubbish as the second pic.

Edited by rumblesushi at 21:57:04 26-10-2013
  • acousticwilliam 26 Oct 2013 22:43:43 782 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'Water damage' to my 3DS XL = 77 repair charge from Nintendo.

2 weeks over warranty.

Sits on my desk in our warm home. Water damage - only thing I can think of is that time I poured scotchy scotchy scotch into it.

My bad.

NNID: Willum

• dazcox5181 27 Oct 2013 09:24:49 292 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:
    'Water damage' to my 3DS XL = 77 repair charge from Nintendo.

2 weeks over warranty.

Sits on my desk in our warm home. Water damage - only thing I can think of is that time I poured scotchy scotchy scotch into it.

My bad.
    I feel your pain. My top screen got squashed and cracked, same charge 77 to fix. Ouch. Had the return envelope for 2 weeks now waiting for next month when I have less outgoings :(

http://gizmodad.co.uk

• Murbal 28 Oct 2013 08:49:19 22,083 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Proper buggered.

Resets fine, crashes often.

Amazon, however, are sending a replacement. I then have 30 days to do a system transfer (had to buy a spare 16gb SD card to do it mind you - Amazon have removed postage costs) and return the defective model. Brilliant customer service.
  • Deleted user 28 October 2013 09:04:57
    Is this a common problem?
    I was actually considering jumping on the 3ds XL bandwagon, but the steep price (over here anyway) kinda discouraged me. I saw one bundled with the Monster Hunter game and it was more expensive than a Vita bundle. :o
  • zoolophage 29 Oct 2013 11:56:48 1,678 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There has apparently been 52 different 3ds designs in the last 2 years:

http://m.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/44317/the-52-different-designs-of-nintendo-3ds

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• santashi 30 Oct 2013 16:55:29 5,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Managed to pick up Harvest Moon: A New Beginning for 12 posted on eBay. I'm looking forward to getting back into farming while trying to name everything I can after Archers locations and characters! Has anyone on here played it?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Page

of 363 First / Last