Nintendo 3DS Page 246

• Page

of 357 First / Last

• midnight_walker 31 Oct 2012 11:30:14 1,633 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

1. D-pad has always been perfectly fine for me.

2. Battery life is nowhere near 5-8 hours unless you only ever play DS titles. 3-4 is more accurate.

3. I never had a problem with scratches either, until my post above... but that's something else entirely.
  • Dangerous_Dan 31 Oct 2012 12:56:17 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thank You!
  • roz123 31 Oct 2012 13:48:06 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Treasure working on a 3DS exclusive
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/sin_and_punishment_developer_treasure_working_on_3ds_exclusive
  • Raiko101 31 Oct 2012 19:04:22 5,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

The D-Pad is a little more comfortably placed on the XL model. You don't have to claw your hand around the bottom of the console. As for the battery life, you can get around 4 hours with the wireless off, but if its on, you'll struggle for more than two on the highest brightness setting.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Dangerous_Dan 2 Nov 2012 07:12:00 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Raiko101 Thanks!
  • Kay 13 Nov 2012 12:15:09 17,402 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, anyone upgraded to an XL and regretted it? Thinking of ordering one myself. Is the image quality noticeably worse on the bigger screens? Any other drawbacks, compared to the old model? I'm guessing the upper screen scratching issue has been fixed now.

Also, how simple/painless is the system transfer? Bit silly, for that reason alone I can't trade in my old 3DS towards it.
  • Raiko101 13 Nov 2012 15:51:38 5,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No regrets here! I'm loving it. Obviously the jaggies are more obvious on the bigger screen, but to be honest, you'll stop noticing them pretty quickly. When you're not looking for them, you don't see them.

As for the system transfer, it's a pretty straight forward process. You turn both consoles on, head into system settings, make sure both consoles are connected to the internet, then hit the transfer option on each to initiate the transfer. Once you're on the transfer screen you're given instructions on any little things you have to do before hand. Then you sit there watching pikmin carry all your stuff over.

I imagine the the length of the transfer is determined by how many games you've got on your 3DS. I had 32 VC games and about 10 eShop games at the time and the transfer lasted about 20 minutes. At least you don't have to do anything else during this time.

Once it's done though, make sure you swap your SD cards over.

One other thing. I traded in my 3DS for an XL about 2 months ago (at HMV). They weren't advertising system transfers, but I asked and they allowed me to transfer the data across to the XL before I bought it. It was done in store on the same day. I was able to watch the whole thing too. It's not as good as the old deals GAME and Gamestation were offering, but I got 80 back from the old model, so it's probably worth investigating!

Edited by Raiko101 at 15:52:58 13-11-2012

• Kay 14 Nov 2012 13:36:36 17,402 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers for the in-depth write-up, Raiko! As it happens I got to play around with it a bit yesterday in Currys yesterday, and also directly compared to the old 3DS running the same game (Mario 3D Land). The big screen does still look great, but it also looks quite a bit duller than on the old 3DS, thanks to the loss in clarity. I also tried NSMB2, which looked great on the XL screen, but I'd imagine it would look even better on a smaller screen. Couldn't tell how much of an improvement there was comfort-wise, as the system was locked down.

I still want to try the console properly though, and I can get it rather cheap(ish) from Tesco, so I'm still tempted - they've got a 14 day returns policy that covers consoles, according to their website. Maybe I can play around with it for a bit, and only do the system transfer if I decide to keep it...
  • Raiko101 15 Nov 2012 03:19:06 5,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Go for it! I would be surprised if you didn't keep it to be honest.

• Baleoce 15 Nov 2012 10:10:23 1,169 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A Look Inside the Nintendo 3DS XL

NY Times did a little piece on the inner workings of the system. Most of this we already know, but it just looks cool. Also I found it interesting that the D-pad has essentially the same circuit layout as the face buttons.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Kay 16 Nov 2012 14:25:15 17,402 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Go for it! I would be surprised if you didn't keep it to be honest.
    Yep, worth a try, so ordered a silver XL. Will pick it up tomorrow, have a play around with it over the weekend, if I don't like it it's heading back. :)

Edit: Btw, Tesco Direct have a "10 off first order" offer. They already have the XL cheaper than anyone else (from what I can see), so with the code you can get it for 150.

Edited by Kay at 14:26:47 16-11-2012
  • Baleoce 20 Nov 2012 16:08:09 1,169 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Level-5's Fantasy Life 3DS RPG gets new trailer, taste of Uematsu's score

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Kay 3 Dec 2012 10:40:06 17,402 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, after deciding to keep my XL (for now) I'm now trying to find a decent case for it. Any recommendations? Apparently the Hori case is too big for the console (think it was actually designed for the DSi XL).

I'd actually like a simple zipped pouch that I can quickly pop the console in and out of, but can't find anything anywhere!
  • CaptainFantasm 3 Dec 2012 22:05:12 89 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    So, after deciding to keep my XL (for now) I'm now trying to find a decent case for it. Any recommendations? Apparently the Hori case is too big for the console (think it was actually designed for the DSi XL).

I'd actually like a simple zipped pouch that I can quickly pop the console in and out of, but can't find anything anywhere!
    I bought this one from Amazon and it does the job for mine. Fairly firm outer casing and spaces for 3 games. Better than splurging 20 quid on one that comes with a load of crap you don't need anyway.

Has anyone bought Heroes of Ruin? Fancy an alternative to Mario Kart, Tennis, Land, etc.
  • MadCaddy13 3 Dec 2012 22:16:30 1,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't believe how good the battery is when the 3ds is off. I hadn't played it in months and I bought the last window, turned it on and it was still fully charged!
  • Kay 3 Dec 2012 23:25:15 17,402 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CaptainFantasm wrote:
    Kay wrote:

I bought this one from Amazon and it does the job for mine. Fairly firm outer casing and spaces for 3 games. Better than splurging 20 quid on one that comes with a load of crap you don't need anyway.
    I actually ordered the very same one this afternoon after my post. :)

Apparently it's a bit big for the original 3DS, but should be fine for the XL. No other decent alternatives that I can see, but can't go wrong for that price really.
  • Raiko101 4 Dec 2012 12:32:49 5,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Kay I've been meaning to ask you what you think of th XL. The '(for now)' comment suggests you're not entirely happy. :/

• Kay 4 Dec 2012 16:31:20 17,402 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Raiko101 It's mostly great, in terms of feel and finish it's a big improvement over the original, as others have said. And the big screens really do make games look epic, despite the low PPI ratio. Sure, some games do look a little too jaggy, but the 3D effect usually compensates.

The main issue I have is with the size and weight of the device, speaking as someone who never had an issue with the original 3DS. Probably doesn't help that I've been switching between the two models, but the XL is a little heavier than I'd like. I'm going to to transfer my stuff over and use it regularly for a bit, and see how I get on with it. Then I'll decide and sell one of the two.

One annoying thing is that the top screen is slightly yellower than the bottom. I actually had this issue with my DS Lite, but the effect is not as bad here, you can only tell when the screens are white. I was considering returning it, but I loved the big screens, and the free game offer sealed the deal.
  • Raiko101 4 Dec 2012 17:29:26 5,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One game that doesn't play as well on the XL is Kid Icarus. The controls aren't great anyway, but the extra weight of the XL only makes things more uncomfortable. :(

I persevered though, as it's an amazing game.

• Raiko101 5 Dec 2012 04:13:47 5,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's a rumour going around that Square Enix has recently trademarked the game name "All the Bravest", which may be the western title for Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. Hopefully tomorrow's Nintend Direct clears that up!

• Kay 5 Dec 2012 20:12:03 17,402 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just successfully completed the system transfer (took over an hour!), but I'm a little confused about the SD card. I've put the old 2GB one in my XL, as it seems to have all my stuff on it - can I just copy its contents over to the new 4GB card using a computer, without having any issues with licences, ambassador games etc.?
  • Deleted user 5 December 2012 20:30:48
    Its going to be a busy couple months from nintendo , especially if you own a wii u as well. A lot to look forward too. Luigi mansion 2 looks great.

Shibata seemed to suggest LM2 won't be the only Luigi themed game this year?
  • redcrayon 6 Dec 2012 07:12:01 4,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Just successfully completed the system transfer (took over an hour!), but I'm a little confused about the SD card. I've put the old 2GB one in my XL, as it seems to have all my stuff on it - can I just copy its contents over to the new 4GB card using a computer, without having any issues with licences, ambassador games etc.?
    Hey Kay, yes you can, I did that originally when upgrading my memory card to a 32GB one before doing the system transfer.
  • santashi 19 Dec 2012 08:20:17 4,928 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but the US are getting Soul Hackers in spring.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• tobymesson 29 Dec 2012 01:38:46 15 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Santa brought me an XL with mario 3D LAND installed and waitng on my free layton game
  • Raiko101 29 Dec 2012 05:01:17 5,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still waiting on an email for the code, for my free game. Will hopefully be getting Layton, too.

• DUFFMAN5 29 Dec 2012 07:55:36 13,802 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi chaps looking at getting a XL. I only have a DS at the mo, so I assume I need a charger?
    Also what mem cards are chaps getting and how much are they.
    Cheers

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Red_Bool 29 Dec 2012 10:11:27 1,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 - if you have an old (fat) DS, you'll need a charger, otherwise you can you the one from the DS(i). Memcards are the normal SD cards ones used in cameras etc. (not micro SD). I'm still on the 2GB card that came with my 3DS (non-XL, not sure if the XL comes with one) - it takes a while to fill up: now at 2 downloaded games and 6 demos and still more than enough space left.
  • redcrayon 29 Dec 2012 10:33:49 4,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 2GB it comes with is good enough to start with, but its easy enough to upgrade, memory is really cheap now. I use one of these 32GB cards (14 on amazon)

32GB card on amazon

Then downloaded this formatter to my PC.

SD card formatter

You can then format the new card (follow the instructions on the site), copy any of the old data to the PC via a card reader, then put the data on the 32GB. Works like a charm.

32GB is complete overkill on a 3DS console with VC games measured in KB, but its cheap and futureproof, words that I like. :D I'm up to 10 eshop games, half a dozen demos and a dozen VC games, so the original was starting to creak after a year or so!

That Sandisk 32GB worked fine during my system transfer of 3DS-3DSXL too, in case its of interest. It's also mildly faster than the standard 2GB- slightly less time loading the eshop etc.

/credit goes to Neogaf for the formatter tool link

Edited by redcrayon at 10:41:40 29-12-2012
  • StixxUK 29 Dec 2012 10:57:50 7,170 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's worth playing on this? Haven't bought anything since Super Mario 3D land ages ago (which was awesome).

Not interested in Mario Kart (played the Wii version, can't be bothered with every iteration) or NSMB2 (average by most accounts).

Only think I'm currently looking forward to is Wright vs Layton!
  • Page

of 357 First / Last