Nintendo 3DS Page 353

• Page

of 362 First / Last

• Pinky_Floyd 15 Mar 2014 08:10:48 7,380 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Steamworld dig is half price so nabbed it.
  • jonsaan 15 Mar 2014 09:13:56 25,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd a fabulous game.

FCUTA!

• WinterSnowblind 15 Mar 2014 09:23:29 1,224 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why haven't Pokemon Red and Blue been released on the virtual console yet? I realise they'd require some work to allow trading and battling, but with all the hype around TwitchPlaysPokemon, they'd probably get a lot of sales based purely from people who've been watching that and were never interested in Pokemon before. Plus they really played up the whole nostalgia thing in X and Y.

Mindboggling that we haven't seen it released yet.
  • Raiko101 15 Mar 2014 09:38:32 6,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder if VC games just aren't selling well enough on the 3DS. You know sales of a game on the eShop can't be great if they've yet to recieve a rating from at least 1 person and that is the case with a small number of recent VC games. They've also switched their focus from Gameboy games to NES games too.

I guess being black and white just doesn't cut it these days.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• jonsaan 15 Mar 2014 10:49:09 25,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That makes it even more unforgivable to not emulate the supergameboy optons.

FCUTA!

• zoolophage 16 Mar 2014 10:00:14 1,585 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'v now played enough of Pokemon Link Battle to get a good sense of its core mechanics and strategy, and I'm happy to say that it is a very solid, if rather unspectacular, match 3 game. The graphics and sound really are rather basic. They do the job but that's about all you can say. The core challenge is to identify the type of attacks that will be super effective against the current enemy and to keep your attack chain going. It's fast and frantic.

The second layer of challenge is trying to unlock hidden pokemon. I'm not quite sure how that works but it appears to be by defeating certain pokemon either very quickly, with huge damage or by using certain types of elemental moves. Either way, these hidden pokemon sometimes appear. I guess I should probably read the instructions to find out :D Each level gives you a rank score so you can also try to ace every level.

So, very solid and quite a lot of fun for quick pick up and play sessions. Somewhat overpriced, though. If you're on the fence wait until it hopefully appears on sale for around the 5 mark.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• jonsaan 16 Mar 2014 12:03:55 25,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think calling it a match three puzzler is a bit misleading. it's nothing like Bejewelled or Candy Krush, even Puzzle quest.

Your matching is freeform, the cells you move do not have to be next to each other, so in that sense it is totally unlike those games.

I think it is very good too. Knowledge of flipping pokemon is a huge advantage though.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 16 March 2014 12:49:02
    @jonsaan Thanks for that info, I think I'll pass... for a while.

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 10:02:07 17-03-2014
  • zoolophage 16 Mar 2014 14:02:28 1,585 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jonsaan

You're right that being able to move all of the pokemon around anywhere takes it out of the traditional match 3 model. You can play it that way but once I shook myself out of the habit I found I could make much longer combos, naturally. Definitely agree with you about the pokemon knowledge.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Daryoon 16 Mar 2014 23:15:43 4,602 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    Why haven't Pokemon Red and Blue been released on the virtual console yet? I realise they'd require some work to allow trading and battling, but with all the hype around TwitchPlaysPokemon, they'd probably get a lot of sales based purely from people who've been watching that and were never interested in Pokemon before. Plus they really played up the whole nostalgia thing in X and Y.

Mindboggling that we haven't seen it released yet.
    So, how would you explain to Youngster Joey why he can't trade his Pokemon from his virtual console games to Pokemon X/Y? Releasing the old games is just going to cause (brand) confusion. I wouldn't be surprised if we get 3DS makeovers of the older regions, though.

I think the overall reluctance to release more virtual console games comes down to a couple of things: firstly, most don't sell that well, because children are put off by the graphics, and adults have emulators on their phones/expect everything to be 99p/say they want Game X but never buy it when it's released.

Secondly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nintendo are focusing on the VC for Wii U because they intend to use it as a basis for their next handheld. That way, they can have the whole integration thing everyone keeps asking them for, without wasting time/money trying to shoehorn it into a console that simply cannot handle it (the 3DS isn't really at that powerful, after all, and would struggle/fail to emulate even SNES games) and will get replaced in a couple of years.
  • DFawkes 16 Mar 2014 23:39:57 22,588 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not that it would struggle to emulate the SNES, it's the screen resolutions that don't match up, making them look terrible if they were to be directly emulated, as well as other boring reasons.

I'm often surprised by just how powerful the 3DS is, to be honest. Stuff like KH3D, Dead or Alive, MGS3 and Kid Icarus Uprising all look really fantastic. There is other stuff looks good using a smart combination of art and 3D, such as Bravely Default. Even something that you'd think would be a quick Wii port like Lego Pirates of the Caribbean is ported from the 360 version, so has a few effects and better lighting than the Wii version.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• WinterSnowblind 17 Mar 2014 09:57:18 1,224 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    So, how would you explain to Youngster Joey why he can't trade his Pokemon from his virtual console games to Pokemon X/Y? Releasing the old games is just going to cause (brand) confusion. I wouldn't be surprised if we get 3DS makeovers of the older regions, though.
    While I'm aware there's a lot of mechanical stat differences in the older games, would it be that hard to allow them to transferred to Pokemon Bank? They would probably never be competitively viable, but it would still be neat to be able to transfer Pokemon from those original games up into X and Y. If nothing else, they could at least give us Fire Red/Leaf Green.

As for your points about emulation, yeah, I don't buy it. That's the same excuse certain book publishers/authors kept giving for not providing eBooks: "people will just pirate them anyway". If you don't give us an option to buy it legally, then there's no choice but to emulate them.
  • abczyx 27 Mar 2014 03:42:43 5 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally picked up a 3DS. The Ice White model is 79.99 at Amazon, today (27th) only.
  • FatSternKikwi 27 Mar 2014 03:51:16 528 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bloody hell thats a good price.
  • Murbal 27 Mar 2014 10:46:43 21,921 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still worth paying the extra for an XL imho.
  • abczyx 27 Mar 2014 14:55:07 5 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well, I'm not really much of a handheld gamer and with this deal the XL model is about 70 more, which I can't really justify. I'm really getting one because I haven't owned a handheld console since the Game Boy Colour and I have a bit of catching up to do!
  • DUFFKING 28 Mar 2014 15:24:58 7,089 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucksake, I finished all the Puzzle Panels yesterday and now there's a new one!
  • mal 28 Mar 2014 17:03:57 22,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, nothing turned up here for a few weeks. Last one was a 3D Land one IIRC.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• DFawkes 28 Mar 2014 17:08:18 22,588 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There has been a fairly recent 3D World one that came after the 3D Land one. What is the new one?

• mal 28 Mar 2014 19:21:35 22,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, got the notification now. Sounds like there's more than one this time, but then I think the last notification said that too, and I think I only got one new puzzle out of that so far.

Oh, and I meant 3D world, getting my 3D Marios mixed up there.

My new sheet comes from that new Yoshi game. You know, the shit one.

• DFawkes 28 Mar 2014 21:10:03 22,588 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah right, I knew another country got that one, so it's nice that we've caught up. Much like Duffking, I do find it annoying as I was about 5 pieces off finishing my last puzzle. Never mind, something to look forward to next time I get a StreetPass :)

• Matt36 31 Mar 2014 01:02:58 1,313 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really new to the 3DS world of gaming. Started taking my 2DS to work in the Metro Centre and getting notifications when I pass people? Pretty cool I guess. I'm collecting tiles for pictures and fighting ghosts whilst unlocking items for my Mii fella! What does the AR thing do though?
  • mal 31 Mar 2014 02:03:08 22,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For AR you use the cards you got with the system, or various extra ones you can get with Kid Icarus for example, launch the app and point the camera at a card. Watch it spring to life in unconvincing glitchy 3D!

• Matt36 1 Apr 2014 13:38:32 1,313 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha, and that's it?
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Apr 2014 13:40:25 23,181 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was pretty fun when it first came out tbf. I've lost mine though.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• CosmicFuzz 1 Apr 2014 13:41:10 23,181 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe fun is the wrong word. People I showed it too were impressed anyway. This was back when AR was pretty new etc.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• YenRug 1 Apr 2014 13:43:26 2,014 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still have a concept, in my mind, about an RPG using the AR setup; would love to see if it would work.
  • ryohazuki1983 1 Apr 2014 13:49:01 731 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The AR is fun, just use your imagination, I had a giant "?" AR card made and that turned the Mii characters into lifesize.

Others have made Miis the size of buildings, like this:
    http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/AR-3DS-giant-mii.jpg
  • Page

of 362 First / Last