FFIX on PS3

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Widge Moderator 22 Mar 2010 14:16:51 13,436 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How is the BC on this title from those in the know?

I just went round to someones house to sort out their wireless, saw a big stack of PS1 games, FFIX was in there and I said "Oh nice, I love that"... found out they were all to be binned, so let out a "NOOOOOOO!" and got given FFIX in payment for my techy help!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:18:47
    This is the last game I'm interested in for the PSP (PSN store). I remember playing the start of it about 30 times but always getting very bored with it and giving up.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 22 Mar 2010 14:20:36 10,854 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This Wiki page is a very useful source of information for things such as this.

It appears that FFIX works very well, bar some potential lines appearing.
  • M83J01P97 22 Mar 2010 14:21:07 6,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BC works fine, but I still find it to be a rather dull entry in the series that took far, far too long to actually get interesting. I also found most of the characters to be more than a little forgettable.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:23:59
    Slightly off topic, but yesterday I found that I had a 2nd copy of this if anyone wants it?
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:27:47
    Me please! :)
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:41:07
    mowgli wrote:

No worries - PS1 copy mind - if still interested drop me a PM with your address etc and I'll bang it in the post to you tomorrow - no charge thanks to the wonder of business mail \o/
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:42:10
    :(
  • Jazzy_Geoff 22 Mar 2010 14:44:19 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fuck you mowgli
  • Widge Moderator 22 Mar 2010 14:45:48 13,436 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    This is the last game I'm interested in for the PSP (PSN store). I remember playing the start of it about 30 times but always getting very bored with it and giving up.

You really do have to persevere. FFXIII gives you more control in the intro than FFIX. A good amount of the intro is scene setting, establishing characters, motives... in the context of the story, there isn't the opportunity to have a fight. I think it was a good many hours before you even hit your first experience/level up screen.

Push past the intro of Alexandria and the game really starts to deliver. Of all the PSone games, this had some of the best writing, NPCs and such expansive cities with lots of side quest faffing to do.

_ _ _

• Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:46:18
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

No worries - PS1 copy mind - if still interested drop me a PM with your address etc and I'll bang it in the post to you tomorrow - no charge thanks to the wonder of business mail \o/
    Wow man, thanks that is really generous of you. I was just thinking today how I wanted to play this game, and the random appearance of this thread put a smile on my face and now some kind chap is sending me a copy... I love this place! :D
  • danathjo 22 Mar 2010 14:49:00 7,333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wow, that good karma should last you a while snakehips!
  • Widge Moderator 22 Mar 2010 14:49:40 13,436 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    This Wiki page is a very useful source of information for things such as this.

It appears that FFIX works very well, bar some potential lines appearing.

Ah, US version... can't find the Euro one.

_ _ _

• Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:50:19
    brotherbob wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Didn't you do the same with FF8? Do you even like FF games?
    I'm starting to wonder if my slightly disturbing adoration for FFVII has deluded me all these years into believing that I am a fan of the series as a whole.

Tbh, I think I get more enjoyment from the start up screen and the FF logo in FF games due to fond memories than I do from the game itself lol. But I have picked up VIII again and am starting to slowly get into it again (which Is why I started thinking about IX).
  • Hokum 22 Mar 2010 14:54:08 157 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this going to come out on PSN?
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 14:55:12
    Probably.
  • Widge Moderator 22 Mar 2010 14:55:38 13,436 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FFIX “gets going” once you leave Alexandria. It really delivers once you get a bit shocked by having set roles for team members. One of the few games where I had to delve into the items bag many times because I had a mage out of commission or something. Also some NASTY status effects, rather than the mild irritants of other games. No more, oh I’m poisoned, ah well I’ll just slog the fight out to the end. Some absolute fooker moments where you have 4 moves all queued up to fire off and the foe you are facing just happens to do the firey status ailment that kills anyone who takes a move when it is upon them.

Hardest final Boss fight in the series too.

Delightful graphics and animation, you do get the impression that the FF engine gets pushed to the max somewhat... no enemies of “large” stature to face really, and it does get a big sluggish.

_ _ _

• Deleted user 22 March 2010 15:03:40
    Widge wrote:

Amen to that (Ozma) couldn't beat him despite dozens of attempts :(
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 15:13:05
    Widge wrote:

I'd probably hand that one to Final Fantasy V, although IX's could be pretty brutal if you didn't protect yourself against the nastier status effects.
  • harhol 22 Mar 2010 15:23:31 156 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd say Sephiroth is harder provided you go there when you're supposed to and don't faff about for 30 hours doing all the extra stuff.
  • kupocake 22 Mar 2010 17:00:34 125 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So surely what you're saying is "That boss is the toughest, if you ignore the existence of the other harder bosses"? :p

But then I suppose I dislike the idea that bosses in Final Fantasy games are 'hard' at all. That implies there's some level of skill involved in playing these start-menu simulators, when player skill factors into battle success to a lesser degree than driver skill factors into Formula One racing.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 17:21:57
    Well you still need to know and think about what you're doing. It just requires a different sort of "skill" to something like an action game.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 20:06:44
    kupocake wrote:
    So surely what you're saying is "That boss is the toughest, if you ignore the existence of the other harder bosses"? :p

Did you read the thread?

But then I suppose I dislike the idea that bosses in Final Fantasy games are 'hard' at all. That implies there's some level of skill involved in playing these start-menu simulators, when player skill factors into battle success to a lesser degree than driver skill factors into Formula One racing.

Eh?

/don't boggart...
  • Jazzy_Geoff 22 Mar 2010 20:13:16 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kupocake wrote:

you have misunderstood
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 20:15:45
    Yes. Yes he has. I feel better now, thank you.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Mar 2010 20:20:27 7,997 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FFIX was my favourite PS1 Final Fantasy but I do remember it taking a long time before it got going.

Did anyone ever beat the fight against a book in the castle library?
  • Deleted user 22 March 2010 20:22:16
    Yeah did everything bar Ozma

That book was a git.

My favourite FF also
  • Deleted user 23 March 2010 12:58:27
    My favourite thing about Ozma is his hacked Meteor spell. Vivi's burns up 90% of the time and the randomized damage is often exceptionally low even when it does hit. Ozma's is 100% accurate and always hits for high-end damage. Clearly using a cheat device.

Quina was the key when I beat it. Angel's Snack was invaluable.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous