If there was no Nintendo Wii...

• Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 16:27:33
    ...would the 360 or PS3 have sold more to date?

I would think the impact on both would not be that big. Thinking of the people I know that own a Wii there are two types, gamers and historically non-gamers:

There are those who are what I'd considered gamers and they own a 360 or PS3 alongside their Wii, with the Wii not being their main console, and;
    Those who were historically non-gamers only own a Wii - it's simply replaced the more traditional games they would bring out when throwing a party or having friends round.

This does make me wonder though, why are Microsoft and Sony releasing motion controls? There are very few 'gamers' that have yet to purchase a 360 or PS3 and motion controls aren't going to make a blind bit of difference to them.

Do they honestly believe that those who exclusively own a Wii are going to abandon it and buy something new?
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 16:29:47
    Interesting question.

Ultimately the Wii targeted a very specific set of demographics so it's hard to call.
  • Fake_Blood 21 Mar 2010 16:29:51 4,165 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 16:30:28
    How about people who pissed a load of money away on a Wii and a bunch of cynically marketed shit peripherals because they believed Nintendo when they said it would be good, and therefore cannot afford a 360 or PS3?

Eh, EH; What about them?
  • Fake_Blood 21 Mar 2010 16:31:40 4,165 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think a lot of parents that bought a wii (only to see it neglected eventually) won't be buying any new consoles soon.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 16:39:38
    Shit this thread reminds me, I bought the Wii before buying a 360, and then a PS3.

The Wii got me into gaming. :/
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Mar 2010 16:40:27 44,505 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :o
  • YoshiMcTaggis 21 Mar 2010 16:40:48 3,005 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another reason to hate it
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 16:42:24
    mowgli wrote:
    Shit this thread reminds me, I bought the Wii before buying a 360, and then a PS3.

The Wii got me into gaming. :/

Really?

I find this hard to believe. Those I know who own a Wii and were never previously 'gamers' still aren't and are never likely to be 'gamers' in the same sense as those who spend time visiting videogame websites and joining videogame message boards.

So, what was it about the motion controlled gaming on a Wii (the one thing that has made it stand out from the rest) that made you think you suddenly really like videogames (not just the motion control that attracted you initially) and want to own a 360 and PS3?
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 16:50:03
    I should probably have been more clear. I was always a bit of a gamer, it is just that after the Dreamcast I hadn't touched games in a while. Loved the look of the Wii and all the hype around it so got hold of one when it was launched (eventually). I then after a while bought a 360 as I got tired of the novelty of the Wii remote and realised that the Wii was in fact pretty fucking dire in comparison so eventually sold it. So I'm probably not the best/typical example. I also hanged around on EG long before that as I had a PC for gaming.
  • rock27gr 21 Mar 2010 16:57:36 5,561 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wouldn't say the Wii was dire. It may not be enough for a full-time "hardcore" gamer, but it certainly has its moments.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 17:01:37
    I think the question to ask ourselves is right now, where are the PS2 gamers, wasn't it up to 140 million lifetime sales, and where will they end up?

Have many of them bought a Wii, or did the Wii bring in a large group of entirely new people? While the 360 has sold a sizable amount more than Xbox, it is still about 40 million, so it would seems as if many consumers are still up for grabs.

At the risk of thinking PS3 centric, is the Sony machine the hold up? Are people waiting for further price drops, or a big brand that hasn't hit like Gran Turismo, gone with DS or social gaming or just left gaming altogether?

I have no idea what the answer could be...but maybe this holiday season will see a big influx of gamers into this generation, which might explain the big push from Microsoft and Sony with new devices to appeal to them.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 17:02:51
    Maybe the 360/ps3 would have more interesting games
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 17:04:49
    No I enjoyed the Wii, and miss being able to play certain games on it. And it was certainly a simpler time when all I had was a Wii. It is just that owning a 360 ended up dominating my time, and the games that -when only owning a Wii - were originally amazing end up feeling quite shit after having access to the 360's catalogue. I remember really really enjoying Call of Duty that I got with the Wii, I loved it despite all its flaws. Then I got a 360, and trying to go back to CoD and Metroid etc. has just been completely ruined. I'm sure if I never owned a 360 by the time Galaxy came out I would have enjoyed it much more.
  • Jackface 21 Mar 2010 17:07:30 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If there was no Wii I wouldn't have to sell mine on eBay this month after finally accepting it deserves a better fate than sitting on my shelf for 18 months not even plugged in. :(
  • steoc4 21 Mar 2010 17:09:53 1,655 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well given that GTA IV sold faster than any of the GTA 3 games, FFXIII is selling faster than FFX through FFXII, FIFA 10 is selling faster than any PS2 football game ever did, nevermind the likes of COD4... I'm guessing the 360 and PS3 have already picked up the vast majority of core PS2 gamers.

A large percentage of that 140 million must be people who just bought a console with Singstar and nothing else (I know a few who did that), or kids who got it with the Harry Potter game or whatever, or a lot are probably people who owned an original PS2 and got a slim, or just replaced their console because it was no longer working (though I guess that's a fair percentage of the 360's sales too)

So the Wii probably has stolen a lot of those types of gamers from the PS2 crowd. The kids and the one-off party-game types. And it's brought a lot of new people in too of course.

• mal 21 Mar 2010 17:11:17 22,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dum dum dum dum dum dum da-da-da (all together now)
    Imagine there's no Wii
    It's easy if you try
    No waggle gamers before us
    Trying to work out why

Imagine all the people
    Playing on the PS3/360 (delete as appropriate)
    Ooh-ooh oo-oo
    You may say that I'm a gamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope on day they'll join us
    And we can all beat their asses on Battlefield:Bad Company 2

(okay, so I might need a little help with scanning/rhyming on that last line)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Chopsen 21 Mar 2010 17:21:39 15,851 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /applause
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 19:45:20
    ...there would be a Revolution.
  • FogHeart 21 Mar 2010 20:36:33 944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If there are lots of people like me then possibly the Wii slowed down sales of the other consoles as people who bought a PS2 wanted to try 'something different' and then after tiring of playing the first party games and when they could afford it bought one of the other consoles.

In fact I wouldn't have bought a PS3 if it wasn't going to do motion control - and the early reports indicated that it would have been pretty much the Wii control system. When I first used the control system on Metroid Corruption I was convinced that I'd be pissed off with any first person game I could not control that way. And I was right - several times I almost threw my dualshock across the room after a bit on Killzone 2 and put on the Wii just to feel better about playing an FPS on a TV.

A lot of people on Eurogamer can't seem to get their head around the idea that anyone could value motion control over graphics. Motion control gets dismissed as 'waggle' and the Wii as a kid's console. I suspect none of these sneers have been made by gamers who have actually played Resi 4 Wii....or Metroid....or COD Reflex or World at War for the Wii. I also suspect that as soon as these people play a Move FPS or TPS they will 'get' why people like me bought a Wii. They won't think they made the wrong choice, no way, but after playing motion controls that aren't 'waggle' they'd understand why it's not just grannies and kids that like their Wii.
  • hy4000uk 21 Mar 2010 21:11:51 75 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nah, i can honselty say that having owned all of them

in truth the PS3/360 are just shitter versions of PC's. they've got a few exclusives worth playing but for the most part they just play shit versions of PC games. both of them are basically budget pc's in a box

it's just the same old shit we've seen countless times before. a graphical upgrade, slight changes if any. hell the PS3 still uses a PS1 controller

Wii is something new and different. Whether it's the far higher quantity of exclusives (including good ones), the remote (that is fantastic for certain games) or the downloadable service that offers an unparalleled selection of retro stuff on top of what you can get on wiiware. it's the perfect "second system"

shit, the wii is the only console i own right now and the only one that has it's fair share of local co-op and colourful games. fuck it's probably the only true console left in those regards
  • PES_Fanboy 21 Mar 2010 21:12:12 14,770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wii's sole USP is that the controller is a better sex toy than any of the others.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 21:20:09
    hy4000uk wrote:
    shit, the wii is the only console i own right now and the only one that has it's fair share of local co-op and colourful games. fuck it's probably the only true console left in those regards

QED Motherfuckers.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 21:21:31
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    The Wii's sole USP is that the controller is a better sex toy than any of the others.

Until the PS3 move, that ball will be teh sex.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 21:21:45
    Indeed, the PS3 and 360 are almost "PC Lite" at this point, bar a few excellent exclusives on the PS3.
  • JuanKerr 21 Mar 2010 21:24:55 36,239 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I play my Wii more than my 360. Does that make me some kind of mentalist?
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 21:26:08
    Some sort of pervert probably.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2010 21:27:06
    That's a banable offence on EG.
  • Collymilad 21 Mar 2010 21:28:20 1,266 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would say maybe a TINY bit, but nothing major.

Why would millions of people just suddenly start gaming with Wii unless they found how different it was compelling, considering their have been 360/PS3 type consoles/games out for quite a while now.

I also find it hard to believe that the number people that got into gaming with the Wii then moved onto PS3 etc is a large one.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous