No platform specific threads if there's a general one?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • David_W 19 Mar 2010 15:50:33 149 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So now we can't use the PS3 board for PS3 specific issues if there's a thread in general covering a game that's on several platforms?

Regarding http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=177165
  • PiD 19 Mar 2010 15:52:42 3,566 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'd get a better response in the general thread, also it clutters up the forum for users using the old forum view.

And you'd end up with 99% smart arse replies like squarejawhero :)
  • mal 19 Mar 2010 15:56:42 22,572 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We have had a lot of single issue BF:BC2 threads popping up over the last few days, so it's possibly a bit of bad timing, but the rule in general is that game issues go in the thread for that game, rather than everyone creating a new thread every time some little thing happens.

Also, it's generally not cool to moan about a thread being locked. If you know who locked it, PM them asking them for clarification.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• David_W 19 Mar 2010 16:00:05 149 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe I am using the old view and I doubt very much that a 200+ thread, mostly dealing with xbox matchmakings, is the appropriate place for PS3 server questions.

The issues with BC2 (as was the case with BC1) has as far as the tweets go, been very platform specific.

But hey, you call the shots.

Edit: Sorry for not being cool.
  • mal 19 Mar 2010 16:03:52 22,572 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Urgh. We're not mandating everyone starts using groups now are we?

David W wrote:

:)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 19 March 2010 16:05:52
    Bloodkult wrote:
    Post in the group.

Now there's a hive of activity.

Individual threads for specific issues have never gone down that well on here unless it's something people can rant about. It helps keep the front page a lot cleaner because otherwise you end up with 20 threads for every game and then it's anarchy.

You don't want to be responsible for anarchy, do you David?
  • David_W 19 Mar 2010 16:18:07 149 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I guess I didn't fully fathom the consequences my silly (why do the iPhone want me to use "willy" instead?) post would have.

I'll refrain from interacting with the humans for the rest if the day, for the good of us all.
  • Machetazo 19 Mar 2010 16:21:13 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it odd when that thread came to my attention. Having a Console Version thread, when...
    The issues with BC2 (as was the case with BC1) has as far as the tweets go, been very platform specific.
    . Is the idea that there's a PC thread, and the other version's sort of the same, so just throw them together?

Bloodkult wrote:
    Post in the group.
    I get the impression that not every PS3 player reading these boards, for this game, is currently alotted to the group. But it's a nice idea.
    mal wrote:
    Also, it's generally not cool to moan about a thread being locked.
    Probably isn't much better to open a discussion about sensible forum practice, by the looks of things! :(
  • Deleted user 19 March 2010 16:28:48
    David W wrote:
    I believe I am using the old view and I doubt very much that a 200+ thread, mostly dealing with xbox matchmakings, is the appropriate place for PS3 server questions.

But hey, you call the shots.

i'm sorry, but i agree some what with Davids plight. there should be threads in the 360 and PS3 sections to organise online games. why 'organise online games' threads get locked is beyond me?

these 'all in one' threads are messy tbh.
  • PiD 19 Mar 2010 16:32:34 3,566 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually, I agree with the different platforms having 'Organise Game' threads, because its a ballache to go through the threads trying to differentiate between gamertags and psn ids.

I do feel that there isn't really a huge need for a general game thread for each platform though, just because there aren't really any platform specific issues or quirks for most games.

Just my personal opinion on it though :)
  • Deleted user 19 March 2010 16:43:30
    agreed. maybe the mods should set-up the organise online games threads to save any confusion when a big general games topic appears. :)
  • Machetazo 19 Mar 2010 16:43:55 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Competitive/online gaming board? I can see that having a game thread per platform is unnecessary, for the most part, but perhaps is there enough to take those games with a sizable online following, and give them their own section. It's just, that this way they can post all the organise games threads they like, and if you want to talk about news/opinion, outside of the matchmaking/online/tactics line, you can use a single general thread outside of there.
  • PiD 19 Mar 2010 16:52:15 3,566 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    PiD wrote:
    just because there aren't really any platform specific issues or quirks for most games.

What teh fuck?

Should really have clarified that, I can't think of issues that couldn't be kept to a general thread. Mainly cause these things benefit from discussion and comparison between platforms, and usually a lot of mocking from the better platform.
  • Retroid Moderator 19 Mar 2010 16:55:22 44,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's been talk of an "Organise online games" category for the forum but nothing has come of that so far. That way people who aren't interested could filter that category out.

It's all down to clutter, really. People who use the 'universal' view see all the threads in all categories they have enabled so for a game like BFBC2 would easily have at least three on the front page all at once. Hence merging some threads.
  • David_W 19 Mar 2010 16:56:10 149 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PiD wrote:
    white_frank_white wrote:
    PiD wrote:
    just because there aren't really any platform specific issues or quirks for most games.

What teh fuck?

Should really have clarified that, I can't think of issues that couldn't be kept to a general thread. Mainly cause these things benefit from discussion and comparison between platforms, and usually a lot of mocking from the better platform.

Eh?
  • Machetazo 19 Mar 2010 16:59:24 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All contained within the "(game of choice) PS3 organise game thread", in my suggestion. Self-policing should take care of most of the rest. Although there may be some 360 twits that post there, even then, but its not really worth their while. ;)
    All that online stuff, and its vital minutiae get stripped from the main board, is the main aim.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2010 17:00:46
    PID's digging a hole... :D

/popcorn
  • Deleted user 19 March 2010 17:04:46
    Machetazo wrote:
    All that online stuff, and its vital minutiae get stripped from the main board, is the main aim.
    but some things don't work squashed into one thread. online games are getting bigger and more popular, so deserve a stand alone thread tbah. :p
  • Machetazo 19 Mar 2010 17:12:22 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They'd have their own bloody section, how much more room do they need! :D Inside of which, can be found individual threads, per game/platform. If you're interested in organising the games, want to form up clans, or whatever part you want of swiftly changing online games, it could be done there. If you want to talk game news/opinions or whatever, that's what general/platform specific boards would be for.
    It seems to me to be a far better idea than Groups, too, because everyone can get in there, and just post right away.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2010 17:21:46
    sounds good in theory, bout time EG put it into practice. idk about losing groups tho, think of the mayhem if the L4D group disbanded...! >_>
  • Deleted user 19 March 2010 17:25:10
    Buy them a round of drinks?
  • Deleted user 19 March 2010 18:13:26
    It just highlights that tard view was a bad idea incompatible with the culture of this forum, but it was made default, so thats a done deal, if thats the default layout then the boards are completely separate, it makes sense for PS3 owners to only view that forum and post threads in there.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next