Net Neutrality

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • gammonbanter 16 Mar 2010 12:06:35 1,495 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://cabalamat.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/mandelsons_vision_of_the_internet.png

Net neutrality is a terrifying prospect - discuss!

Whilst I think it is, I have noticed that in the last few years the scope of websites I use generally has narrowed to less than 20!

Still if the internet became like Sky TV ir some crappy cable company I think I might disconnect myself!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• ecureuil 16 Mar 2010 12:08:13 76,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, net neutrality is what we have now.
  • urban 16 Mar 2010 12:11:11 10,938 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lol. selfpwn
  • woodnotes 16 Mar 2010 12:13:24 4,923 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    http://cabalamat.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/mandelsons_vision_of_the_internet.png

Net neutrality is a terrifying prospect - discuss!

Whilst I think it is, I have noticed that in the last few years the scope of websites I use generally has narrowed to less than 20!

Still if the internet became like Sky TV ir some crappy cable company I think I might disconnect myself!
    All those web-sites seem so much more exciting when dressed up in a Sky TV package.
  • gammonbanter 16 Mar 2010 12:49:30 1,495 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Not at all! Technically it's a level playing field at the moment !

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• mal 16 Mar 2010 12:53:05 22,418 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Er, that's what net neturality wants. The net neutrality crowd think all kinds of throttling are evil, while the other crowd thinks it's your infrastructure that you paid for - you should be able to dictate what people do on your network. It's the evil free marketeers versus the nanny state all over again.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• JohnnyWashnGo 16 Mar 2010 13:03:12 1,544 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Isn't that what net neutrality means?

Everyone gets the same level of access as each other regardless of who they are, how much they pay for broadband or what sites they visit.

Which is what the internet and the world wide web has always been about.

Sadly business is taking over and demanding that you pay for certain content much like you would on cable or sky TV. You want faster downloads? Pay us more to turn off the throttling and packet shaping... that kinda thing.
  • AliRay 16 Mar 2010 13:07:37 181 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How do I [u]just[u] pay for EG?!
  • mal 16 Mar 2010 13:11:26 22,418 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    Which is what the internet and the world wide web has always been about.

Not really. The internet is just a network of networks. What deals one network owner made with another to peer their traffic is their business in my opinion. What's changed is all those ad-hoc peering arrangements have been consolidated by a handful of very large businesses who have the economies of scale to provide bandwidth for the world. And to make things simple they just said all traffic is equal, which made some people very happy and others merely content. But that's not how the internet always was.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mcmonkeyplc 4 Jan 2011 14:42:16 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bye bye Net Neutrality.

Nope nothing to do with Verizon or Google. This is our very cunting own BT.

/sigh.

It was inevitable. :(

Come and get it cumslingers!

• JohnnyWashnGo 4 Jan 2011 14:53:14 1,544 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, BT have a great quite on that page...

'BT supports the concept of net neutrality, but believes that service providers should also be free to strike commercial deals'

Which seems to imply that they like the idea of net neutrality but also want to be able to do away with it when it suits them.

The war was lost a long time ago in my mind, which is a sad thing as I see providing equal access to information for everybody as a right not a privilege in modern society.

Just make sure you kill access to facebook for everybody not paying a premium and I will be happy :)
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2011 15:25:04 20,164 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Isn't that what net neutrality means?

ecureuil is right.
    The image linked in the OP is what net neutrality wants to prevent.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 4 January 2011 15:26:40
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

/sigh.

What sort of cunt uses BT as an ISP?
  • RyanDS 4 Jan 2011 15:27:49 9,164 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Found this great quote by Google.

'People get confused about Net neutrality,' Schmidt said. 'I want to make sure that everybody understands what we mean about it. What we mean is that if you have one data type, like video, you don't discriminate against one person's video in favor of another.'

'It's OK to discriminate across different types...

Change the meaning of a term, that way you can say you aren't going against it.

• Zomoniac 4 Jan 2011 15:29:43 7,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

/sigh.

What sort of cunt uses BT as an ISP?

"Content Connect, as it is known, allows Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that use BT's network to charge content firms for high-speed delivery of video."

That covers 99% of everyone who isn't on Virgin.
  • Khanivor 4 Jan 2011 15:41:32 40,498 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can kinda see their side of it. I mean it's not like you can ship a car for the same price as a letter.

On the other hand none of these companies are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Jan 2011 16:08:24 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually Khanivor as someone who works in the industry I certainly know the enterprise divisions of telecoms companies were having a rough time recently.

Including BT.

That doesn't excuse their cheekynees.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Khanivor 4 Jan 2011 16:42:57 40,498 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I'm sure the divisions spending money hand over fist on investing in upgrading hardware aren't showing the rosiest of balance sheets but that's too be expected. Clamping down on how much data goes through these networks is probably somewhat influenced by wanting to put off having to do future upgrades for as long as possible.
  • ecureuil 4 Jan 2011 17:54:53 76,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gammonbanter is showing why net neutrality is failing. People don't understand the term, and those in favour of a fragmented Internet are pushing "net neutrality" as a negative and making people fight against the very thing they want to maintain.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next