Danish Eurogamers experience of Amazon UK?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Jekle 15 Mar 2010 19:08:21 8 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi, fairly new here but was wondering if any Danish Eurogammers had experience of how prices work out when buying from amazon uk. Just I'm a member of a io9's forums and there's a guy on there (american, now lives in Denmark) complaining how expensive it is to buy books from Amazon Uk (tax, shipping etc) so I thought I'd ask around on here (since Retroid has told me its fairly diverse) for other's experiences and see if they knew of alternative places to buy from, general advice, etc, then I could pass the info on.

So yeah, not exactly my first post but fairly close and I'd be interested to know if anyone can help.

Thanks.

(Oh bugger I've misspelled amazon in the thread title. Bums )
  • K8_Truth 15 Mar 2010 19:15:06 520 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have used Amazon UK a couple of times to buy games. Shipping costs, they will tell you how much it will cost, but it takes about 1-2 weeks for the items to arrive from being dispatched.
  • Jackface 15 Mar 2010 19:15:37 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Eurogammon? Is that like Spanish bacon and French sausages?
  • jellyhead 15 Mar 2010 19:17:44 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, in Denmark. His English is way better than my Denmarkian.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Retroid Moderator 15 Mar 2010 19:19:33 44,985 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    Eurogammon? Is that like Spanish bacon and French sausages?
    Delicious.
  • Jekle 15 Mar 2010 19:22:32 8 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Jackface
    Yes I've misspelled the thread title, I know. There isn't really anyway for me to fix it is there? (apart from pay attention to what I'm typing in the future) And yes I spose euro gammon would in this case be danish bacon.

@K8_Truth
    How about for books?
    Just he was quoting what he though stuff would cost in $ in America and what he thought he was being charged in $ in Denmark and it seemed a lot more even accounting for tax.
  • Whizzo 15 Mar 2010 19:24:12 43,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Books aren't taxed in the UK and as we and Denmark are in the single market there shouldn't be any import duties either, so I've no idea where any tax is being charged.

This space left intentionally blank.

• K8_Truth 15 Mar 2010 19:27:05 520 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jeg kender ikke dansk, desværre.

But, a few years ago, when I tried ordering an item it said "We don't ship to this adress", so first check this. Held og lykke.

• Jekle 15 Mar 2010 19:29:51 8 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Whizzo
    Yeah, I thought books where zero vat in the uk, but there seems to be 25% sales tax in Denmark. The guy on io9 is saying he bought what he thought should have been $80 of books and they cost about $130 with tax and shipping (his conversions) and that seems a bit high to me, but he could have made a mistake. Just wondered about others experiences.
  • phAge 15 Mar 2010 21:43:59 24,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jekle wrote:
    Hi, fairly new here but was wondering if any Danish Eurogammers had experience of how prices work out when buying from amazon uk. Just I'm a member of a io9's forums and there's a guy on there (american, now lives in Denmark) complaining how expensive it is to buy books from Amazon Uk (tax, shipping etc) so I thought I'd ask around on here (since Retroid has told me its fairly diverse) for other's experiences and see if they knew of alternative places to buy from, general advice, etc, then I could pass the info on.

So yeah, not exactly my first post but fairly close and I'd be interested to know if anyone can help.

Thanks.

(Oh bugger I've misspelled amazon in the thread title. Bums )
    Foreign books are hideously expensive in Denmark - last time I was in London I bought enough of them to save enough to pay for the trip out and back... Have you considered Play.com? Assuming they ship to Denmark I've never experienced being busted in customs when buying DVDs and games from them. OTOH, a mate of mine gets nabbed about 1/3 of the time, so...
  • phAge 15 Mar 2010 21:50:50 24,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jekle wrote:
    @Whizzo
    Yeah, I thought books where zero vat in the uk, but there seems to be 25% sales tax in Denmark. The guy on io9 is saying he bought what he thought should have been $80 of books and they cost about $130 with tax and shipping (his conversions) and that seems a bit high to me, but he could have made a mistake. Just wondered about others experiences.
    Just checked wiw da authorites, and apparently the following places do NOT count as being in the EU for the purposes of avoiding additional taxes: Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney og Sark. It is possible that Amazon ships from one of those, which means that you have to pay "moms" (have no idea what it's called in English, but it is a kind of extra tax) whenever you buy for more than 80 DKR (about 10 quid).

EDIT: So maybe he should try and find a place that ships from mainland UK?
  • phAge 15 Mar 2010 21:59:16 24,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    They tax BOOKS in Denmark?? Why the fuck do they do that? I thought they were meant to be the stereotypical, perfectly reasonable European country. Not very enducation friendly is it?
    We don't tax books in particular - we tax EVERYTHING to fuck, which also means that books are stupidly expensive.

Standard paperback: £6.99 in the UK - £13.99 in Denmark.
  • Load_2.0 15 Mar 2010 22:03:49 19,442 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The extra tax is used to pay for blonde hair dye and plastic surgery on the slightly less hot Danish women, bringing them up to the required level.
  • caligari 15 Mar 2010 22:06:29 17,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Would it be easier (and cheaper) to just buy the items from individual Amazon Marketplace sellers?
  • RMXtreme 15 Mar 2010 22:34:16 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    25% tax on books! I thought the 6% I have to pay here was bad enough.

Anathem would cost 12,45 pounds or 102 DK if you order from Amazon for a book which is priced at 5,98 pounds :o

Bookdepository is usually cheaper if you only order a few books as Amazons 3,99 per order delivery cost (+ an additional 0,99 pound per book) really pushes up the price if you only order a few books.

For comparison: Anathem is 11,35 pounds from bookdepository or 93 DK.

I guess you don't live near the border with Germany? :p
  • jellyhead 15 Mar 2010 22:45:44 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha, i can just imagine the Danish Customs & Excise people arresting a van driver for smuggling in 2 boxes of books in a van full of cases of Schnapps :D

Books, eh? In English too! You disgust me.

:)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Jekle 16 Mar 2010 00:15:22 8 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks, this is useful. To be honest I'm in the uk, but I know (over the internet) an american living in Denmark and he was complaining about how much it was costing to order three books from amazon uk so I thought I'd try and find out more about what was going on to help him out, just to be nice and for my own curiosity. Not sure he knew what tax he was being charged by who, just that it was coming to a lot more than he was used to and he wasn't happy about it.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next