Why does the UK PSN only have crap PSOne Classics?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Gillespionage 15 Mar 2010 08:14:18 7 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey people,

I'm being a bit lazy here, as there might be a thread about this elsewhere on here. But I can't be bothered to look.

I was wondering if anyone might have an answer to my subject question? Why is it, that the UK PSN has only a small library of PSOne Classics? Most of which are absolute balls.
    Don't Sony think that we won't be willing to pay for games a second time?

I love being able to play FF7, FF8, and Metal Gear Solid on my PS3 and PSP. I'd love even more to be able to play Resident Evil 2 and other games that I spent hideous amounts of time playing in my youth.

I know it's possible to create a US account, and find some strange 'PAYPAL' like account to pay for these games..
    But why should I have to do all that? Why should I have to switch accounts on my PS3 to play these different region games? I know it's not that much effort, but why should I have to skip around restrictions just to play content that has been available on the US and HK PSN for ages?

Soooooo, um.. yeah..

Why not make the games available?

Cheers
  • bad09 15 Mar 2010 08:32:00 5,783 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I gave up on PS1 "classics" on PSN yonks ago. (My god did you see the "classics" they put up last week???)

A C/F PSP and Ebay will give far more real PS1 classics. Plus you get those lovely old little game boxes to!

Sony and publishers are just not that bothered with PS1 over here from what I can see.
  • Gillespionage 15 Mar 2010 08:47:01 7 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did see them.. What is the point? I wonder if ANYONE would buy them.
    If they are going to update the catalog, why not put the more popular and more highly priced games up? Surely they get more money from them.

I do have a PSOne collection in an attic somewhere in west Wales...
    But it's pretty far away, and I'm not even sure if it would work anymore as it's a chipped console and might have either burnt out, or will soon.

I do have a lot of US versions of games, which are good.. But again, too far away, and I do like having the games to play on my PSP.

So, Im either lazy, or have more money than sense... But i am willing to pay for these games again.
  • effinjamie 15 Mar 2010 08:53:06 882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Because Sony Europe are a bunch of lazy incompetant C***S.
    Just look at the PSN store, I mean how hard would it be to add a tab labelled "Demos" to the menu like the US store?
    How long have we been waiting for a euro release of GOW collection or Demons Souls?

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• RyanDS 15 Mar 2010 08:57:09 9,272 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Classics I understand, it is due to licensing issues and rights. (Not an excuse, Sony can easily resolve these but they do not appear to want to.) However the lack of a Demo section is absolutely incomprehensible to me.
  • woodnotes 15 Mar 2010 09:07:13 4,923 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LIE!

It has Robocod.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2010 09:09:47
    Yeah but its not all SCEE, I mean Capcom, Namco and others have never really put much effort into the PSP.

Leads me to wonder that maybe they don't want to put up back catalogue games on the machine, and are waiting for a new portable without piracy issues.

Guess you could always ask them on their forums, unlike Square Enix who never engage with gamers, so finding out from them about the chances of seeing Squaresoft and Enix games, let alone Eidos ones is near impossible.
  • Gillespionage 15 Mar 2010 09:21:44 7 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The menu layout is awful..
    I think the XBL menu system is a lot better. At least it has sub-menus for 'demos', 'Arcade', etc. Instead of just 'Latest' and 'A-Z'..

I also love arcade and indie games, which don't have their own section on PSN. So I can't really stumble across PS exclusives and whatnot, without having known about them over the internet before hand..

ryandsimmons, what do you mean by issues and rights?
    Problems with publishers and that sort of thing?
  • Retroid Moderator 15 Mar 2010 09:23:05 44,512 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    effinjamie wrote:
    Just look at the PSN store, I mean how hard would it be to add a tab labelled "Demos" to the menu like the US store?
    How long have we been waiting for a euro release of GOW collection or Demons Souls?
    ^ This ^

They're sodding hopeless.
  • Widge Moderator 15 Mar 2010 09:33:59 13,479 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I use the US store as I want the games running properly anyway!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• RyanDS 15 Mar 2010 09:36:12 9,272 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gillespionage wrote:

ryandsimmons, what do you mean by issues and rights?
    Problems with publishers and that sort of thing?
    Aye, thats what I mean. Apparently Silent Hill for example was pulled because of a dispute between SCEE and Konami.

Although as far as I can gather even that is guesswork. It never ceases to amaze me how appalling Sony seem to be at PR and keeping people informed. I held off from buying a PS3 and PSP until the end of last year as Sony had managed to actually turn me off the systems with their shitty, foot in mouth statements. "we deliberately made it hard to program and we want games to be crap so that late in the cycle you will see improvements" Statements like that (paraphrased obviously) gave me the impression the system was not worth buying.

Now that I have both and think they are awesome but even now Sony seem to be trying to make the system less fun than it should be. Things like no demo tab and no forthcoming information such as "Silent Hill is in the system and should hopefully be rereleased on PSN soon," not to mention the GO not taking UMDs and yet not offering any games on PSN that should by all rights be there. (Lumines? Ridge Racer? There surely can't be licensing issues with these?)

With the Silent Hill thing I have been searching the Net and have not found one single statement by Sony. It was on PSN, then it wasn't. No explanation has ever been given, or if there has been one I can't find it.
  • kissthestick 15 Mar 2010 09:43:31 1,003 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    this is why i have a US account :), without it i would've never been able to play Wild Arms 1&2, Soul Reaver (didnt get a chance to finish it back then) Resident evil 1-3

only uk ps1 game i purchased was Bishi Bashi party, which was pretty damn fun
  • X201 15 Mar 2010 09:50:29 15,279 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because the time and money it would cost to get the licensing sorted out would cost more than they would make in revenue?

Stupid suggestion I know.

• Gillespionage 15 Mar 2010 10:36:49 7 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Perhaps I should just set up a US account..

The PSOne games were like 20% faster for some reason..with no borders either I seem to remember.

How do people pay for the US games?
  • crispyduckman 15 Mar 2010 13:06:58 1,856 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did Castlevania ever come out on the UK store? That was practically a launch game in the US. I might even think about getting a PSP if it's available.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Fletche 15 Mar 2010 13:18:31 3,418 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gillespionage wrote:

You can buy US only PSN cards from places like this

http://www.maximuscards.com/itempage.php?cat=3&ref=ADWPSN001&gclid=CPug9prruqACFQOY2AodalzJUA

I believe plenty of ebay sellers sell them too, i'm tempted as I want Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
  • Jazzy_Geoff 15 Mar 2010 13:25:27 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maximus cards are great, they usually email you the code instantly.

the whole thing is no harder really than setting up a UK account and it would be worth doing in any case due to this ridiculous notion that Sony and Nintendo share that PAL gamers should only be allowed the gimped 50hz PAL versions of old games. Also I think it works out slightly cheaper.

Setting up the Jap account is much harder.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 15 Mar 2010 13:26:48 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Did Castlevania ever come out on the UK store? That was practically a launch game in the US. I might even think about getting a PSP if it's available.

Not SOTN (I don't think). It was that game that provoked me into ordering off the US store in the first place. Absolutely stunning game.
  • Gillespionage 15 Mar 2010 16:23:43 7 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are there any good tricks to making up a US address?
    Or do you literally commit identity fraud? Like using a US Macdonalds address or something.

I'm quite excited about the possibility of playing the NTSC version of Resi2 again :)
  • Widge Moderator 15 Mar 2010 16:26:17 13,479 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just bunged in a 90210 postcode. I live somewhere like Mongchops Heights.

Don't mix and match though, go for one store or the other, otherwise it is a pain in the arse constantly changing ID.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• harhol 15 Mar 2010 16:31:23 156 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    effinjamie wrote:

This, basically. They're still as bad as they were during the PS1 days. Just look at the EU Playstation Blog each Thursday to see how unhappy people are. The fact that Demon's Souls still hasn't come out over here is nothing short of a disgrace, and I say this as someone who owns the game anyway! I'm guessing it doesn't fit into their annual profitability market projection forecast or something.
  • Flying_Pig 15 Mar 2010 16:40:04 10,899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ^^ Erm - there's no Demon's Souls here because no publisher has picked it up to publish in Europe. Not Sony's fault.

But agree that the quality and quantity of PSOne games on PSN is generally sh!te, albeit with a few exceptions.
  • mrpon 15 Mar 2010 16:41:30 28,786 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You mean the US store has a Demo section?!?!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Jazzy_Geoff 15 Mar 2010 16:42:07 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:

Don't mix and match though, go for one store or the other, otherwise it is a pain in the arse constantly changing ID.
    point of clarification: this is only a problem on the PSP. Makes no odds on the PS3.
  • harhol 15 Mar 2010 16:44:37 156 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:There's no Demon's Souls here because no publisher has picked it up to publish in Europe. Not Sony's fault.
    SCEE are a publisher. They publish games like Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted, you know, games funded by Sony, like... Demon's Souls!

A representative from SCEA said recently at GDC that he regretted the decision to pass on Demon's Souls. Presumably this choice was also given to SCEE and they also chose to pass.
  • Kay 15 Mar 2010 16:48:45 17,840 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:

A word of caution for anyone setting up a US account - stick to California, as most of the other states will charge extra tax on top of the PSN price!
  • Kay 15 Mar 2010 16:51:30 17,840 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fletche wrote:
    Gillespionage wrote:

You can buy US only PSN cards from places like this

http://www.maximuscards.com/itempage.php?cat=3&ref=ADWPSN001&gclid=CPug9prruqACFQOY2AodalzJUA

I believe plenty of ebay sellers sell them too, i'm tempted as I want Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

A lot of people have also recommended hdmoviesource.com, who are quite a bit cheaper for US PSN cards:

http://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog/playstation-network-card-20psn-card-p-3794.html?currency=GBP
  • Gillespionage 17 Mar 2010 10:33:49 7 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome, I'll get on it :D

Thanks folks
  • Deleted user 17 March 2010 10:39:22
    harhol wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:There's no Demon's Souls here because no publisher has picked it up to publish in Europe. Not Sony's fault.
    SCEE are a publisher. They publish games like Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted, you know, games funded by Sony, like... Demon's Souls!

A representative from SCEA said recently at GDC that he regretted the decision to pass on Demon's Souls. Presumably this choice was also given to SCEE and they also chose to pass.

There seems to be a story in a spanish magazine that could be saying it is coming to Europe this summer, so maybe SCEE has done a deal with Atlus to bring it over.

http://legendsk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/demonssoulsespaolr.jpg
  • Deleted user 17 March 2010 21:09:43
    Honestly, not bothering to trawl through hundreds of pages to find one thread. For shame(!)

In all seriousness, though, I suspect that it's all to do with licensing. The games are licensed to be sold on PSN in the US and Japan, but not here. Bide your time and I'm sure that many more will appear. Don't forget that the PS3 will play PSOne discs, so if you can find your childhood favourites pre-owned then you can still play them. I got Colin McRae Rally and Gran Turismo for 99p each recently.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous