Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Page

of 139 First / Last

Previous
  • iN5OMANiAC 12 Mar 2010 07:21:14 67 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Who's looking forward to this ? Could be great although knowing Eidos is going to be incredibly average. Heres hoping the Square Enix takeover gives it more polish
  • Deleted user 12 March 2010 09:39:04
    and how exactly were the other games average? i thought they were pretty good tbh.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2010 09:40:01
    I think he means "new Eidos" not "old Eidos". In which case he's 100% correct.

Plus the second wasn't great.
  • Yossarian 12 Mar 2010 09:44:18 8,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It wasn't even okay.
  • kalel 12 Mar 2010 09:44:51 87,689 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not normally one of those "dumbed down and ruined 'cos of consoles" people, but it's true for this series.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2010 10:08:35
    The PC version of DE2 was...

... fucking terrible. It even ran like shit for the time.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Mar 2010 10:19:35 14,715 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually preferred the second game to the first. Probably because I played the second game first and it just felt slicker.

Heretic I know.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• INSOMANiAC 12 Mar 2010 18:45:42 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep, new eidos, who have been churning out extremely average games since the ps2 onwards

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• convercide 12 Mar 2010 18:48:14 6,028 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    Heretic I know.

It was closer to Hexen.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Hunam 12 Mar 2010 18:48:15 20,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    The PC version of DE2 was...

... fucking terrible. It even ran like shit for the time.

It ran on a proto-version of the UE2, it was a dreadful engine and had it's impact of both DE2 and Thief 3. Both are playable now though, but not in widescreen unfortunately :(
  • WinterSnowblind 12 Mar 2010 19:02:11 1,237 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Not normally one of those "dumbed down and ruined 'cos of consoles" people, but it's true for this series.

I'd put it in the same pile as Oblivion. Not dumbed down for consoles, just dumbed down to reach a wider audiance. Both Morrowind and the original Deus Ex did fairly well on the consoles, there was no reason to dumb them down for that reason alone.
  • Hunam 12 Mar 2010 19:03:37 20,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The biggest problem with DE2 was that the first 3rd of the game was bobbins. The rest of the game was pretty brilliant, streamlining permitted.
  • Futaba 12 Mar 2010 19:10:16 3,511 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never played Deus Ex on PC (or the second one) but I thought the PS2 port was really good. Also had DE2 for Xbox, but the first was better overall.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Shivoa 12 Mar 2010 19:20:54 5,677 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The problem with some streamlining is it makes the system too easy to game. RPG players are min/maxers. We all like to say we walk into the world to enjoy experiencing it, but deep down we want to be on the easy train when there is one going. We can boost the difficulty up, but we want to be using the best weapon we can to give ourselves the maximum possibility space. We want to know all the little tricks to maximise our skills and optimise our stat distribution. Sometimes we don't want to invest the time outside of the game required, but we're always looking out for the clues and hints as we play to maximise our play.

If there is no ammo differentiation to limit our weapons then it just comes down to which gun is the more efficient killing device. Streamlining like that made IW less of an interesting game, and obviously it had to try and live up to the open-ended gameplay (but still satisfying shooting) and great story of the original. Without being open-world, the original managed to borrow most of the feel of an open world environment, and got away with it because back then there weren't many truly open, impressive worlds to explore. The sequel, just to keep pace with the march of gaming (remember we'd had GTA III, Morrowind, and many others in the time between DX and IW), needed to really expand the world and give us a living breathing place. It was built with the same scope as the original and so fell flat.

Being co-developed with Thief III, both with console sales focus, led to PC compromises in technical areas (tiny levels between loads, fuzzy textures) which left it looking well behind the times. Feelings of betrayal are probably why the backlash was so bad. Haven't played IW for a while but the Steam sale recently gave me a cheap way to go back and see how it holds up (will hires texture packs from the mod community helping to push it slightly beyond the launch visuals) without having to go box hunting for the CD.
  • WinterSnowblind 12 Mar 2010 19:44:55 1,237 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had pretty low expectations for this, but I have to say, the trailer was pretty cool.
    I wasn't really sold on the idea of a prequel, but I'm definitely digging the more obvious/less advanced implants and mods, I think that makes it a lot more interesting than everything being cybernetic and beneath the skin.

As for streamlining a game.. I think there's a very fine line between streamlining and dumbing things down. Deus Ex 2 and Oblivion were definitely dumbed down, where as Mass Effect 2 to me felt very streamlined and simpler, without sacrificing the important aspects of what made the game.

Hopefully with DE3 they decide to take a few risks and understand things can be streamlined without being stupidly simple.
  • Hunam 12 Mar 2010 19:49:21 20,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well he already said that universal ammo is gone and kept saying the game was an RPG at it's core, which again, bolsters my confidence.
  • jellyhead 12 Mar 2010 19:50:20 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope they write it so the limitations of the console don't stop them taking advantage of more powerful PC tech and PC hardware. Better textures, better streaming, larger areas and i hope they let the PC community tweak the crap out of it. It's not an MP game so let us mod or at least tweak it.

Go on.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Hunam 12 Mar 2010 19:56:02 20,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Larger area's isn't really going to happen as the design of the levels will be the same on consoles, but textures and loading should be ahead. The game was announced for PC first and I think it has only been officially announced for PC, but the devs have said it will also come to consoles at the same time, so hopefully the PC was there first consideration when designing the game.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Mar 2010 19:59:52 14,715 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd imagine that gameplay would be the same, but the engine should certainly be scalable between platforms.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Machetazo 4 Jun 2010 23:00:53 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stills from the trailer are ok... but, in-game images are much better. :D A pick n mix bunch, (is every one in-game) but striking, nonetheless.
  • Machetazo 5 Jun 2010 09:51:37 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *Bumped for the daytime/weekend crowd, seeing as the images haven't been pulled (despite appearing by a leak, apparently.)
  • Deleted user 5 June 2010 10:29:30
    I have a feeling I've only played the second version, which would explain why I was confused when it was utterly balls, after constantly hearing its praises.
  • SlackMaster 8 Jun 2010 07:27:40 3,134 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saw the whole E3 2010 trailer yesterday and think it looks awesome from a story point of view. I loved the original and although reviews for Invisible War were mixed I loved that as well. This is probably on the top of my list for pre-ordering now.

What I hope is that the game follows a similar formula to the originals, giving the player a lot of variety and choice on how to tackle different situations. After seeing this I'm hoping that of classic cyberpunk games like Syndicate are also in the works like many were thinking Lionhead had been hinting.
  • reinhart_menken 8 Jun 2010 07:44:06 21 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For some reason I just keep getting the feeling that the player character is going to get double-crossed or framed either early or early-middle of the game. Maybe Alpha Protocol's making me paranoid.
  • DUFFKING 8 Jun 2010 07:46:25 7,262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A double crossing in Deus Ex?

Madness.

;)
  • Genji 8 Jun 2010 07:48:44 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's all those dark shades that do it. Can't trust anyone who wears shades at nighttime, or indoors.
  • Praetorianer 8 Jun 2010 07:53:31 675 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's only to hide the eye augmentations :)
  • reinhart_menken 8 Jun 2010 07:54:33 21 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    A double crossing in Deus Ex?

Madness.

;)

I know. I can't believe such a thing would happen in a spy and conspiracy game! :p

I can't remember the story line of the first because it was so long ago. And getting double-crossed and framed used to be a good twist, but Alpha Protocol's done it recently, and....I don't know, someone else somewhere has done it recently too :p (Splinter Cell? A stretch?) It is an inevitable plot line in the genre, but still...you know.

It must be the bad aftertaste I got from Alpha Protocol that made me despise it. I don't want to get into that game here, I'm just explaining why. (For what it's worth I like some of it - some being that very little part)

Shivoa wrote:
    The problem with some streamlining is it makes the system too easy to game. ...snip...

If there is no ammo differentiation to limit our weapons then it just comes down to which gun is the more efficient killing device. Streamlining like that made IW less of an interesting game, and obviously it had to try and live up to the open-ended gameplay (but still satisfying shooting) and great story of the original. Without being open-world, the original managed to borrow most of the feel of an open world environment, and got away with it because back then there weren't many truly open, impressive worlds to explore. The sequel, just to keep pace with the march of gaming (remember we'd had GTA III, Morrowind, and many others in the time between DX and IW), needed to really expand the world and give us a living breathing place. It was built with the same scope as the original and so fell flat.

...snip...

I like that you seem to have put a lot of thought into it, and I agree with the streamline thing and why differentiation is good, but wtf is IW and DX? :p (Deus Ex is DE :p) You can't just bring up acronyms that aren't even mentioned in the thread and expect me to know what it means! :p First thing that sprang to mind when I saw IW was Infinity Ward. (Not an angry tone above, but bewildered)
  • Page

of 139 First / Last

Previous