Little Big Planet 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • morriss 8 Mar 2010 09:50:22 70,911 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently Sony will announce it at GDC: http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/08/rumour-lbp2-is-out-this-year/
  • woodnotes 8 Mar 2010 09:59:07 4,921 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But MM already said they won't make a LBP2 (as it would be a disservice to the original game) and their next project will be something new.
  • kalel 8 Mar 2010 10:01:14 86,233 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weren’t Sony buying MM? If so then they’ll probably now own the IP to LBP and can churn out titles getting whatever team they want to work on it.

In fact thinking about it, this is probably exactly why they are buying MM.
  • Psychotext 8 Mar 2010 10:01:52 53,760 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    In fact thinking about it, this is probably exactly why they are buying MM.
    Indeed. Expect LBP meets Singstar.
  • morriss 8 Mar 2010 10:04:01 70,911 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have it on good authority it's 100% da troof. For the reasons kal and Psycho explained above.
  • DFawkes 8 Mar 2010 10:11:18 22,580 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not reallt dure where they can go with LBP2. I always thought we'd see lots of DLC (which we have) but no sequel since the creative tools there are so expansive there's little room to make enough changes to justify a second one, unless they go full 3D. My brain couldn't handle that.

I'd still buy it though, even if it's just some new levels.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• morriss 8 Mar 2010 10:14:28 70,911 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It'll turn into a franchise, innit. LBP2'll sell better than the first one, anyway. Larger install base, much more awareness.

Sackboy was/is an iconic figure and obv. Sony wants to cash in. Fair play.
  • macksed 8 Mar 2010 10:19:48 3,798 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Not reallt dure where they can go with LBP2. I always thought we'd see lots of DLC (which we have) but no sequel since the creative tools there are so expansive there's little room to make enough changes to justify a second one, unless they go full 3D. My brain couldn't handle that.

I'd still buy it though, even if it's just some new levels.

They already have a patch made for the first one to make it 3DTV compatible as well, apparently makes the 3 playing plane system al lot easier... I don't see why they'd make this, most likely with encouragement from Sony, if they were releasing a sequel so soon.
  • kalel 8 Mar 2010 10:20:12 86,233 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Sackboy was/is an iconic figure and obv. Sony wants to cash in. Fair play.

I think this is the key, Sony have always lacked an iconic character for the brand (let’s ignore Crash Bandicoot) and I’m sure they’ve seen the potential in Sackboy.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see LPB Kart racing/Tennis/Golf/Party games coming our way soon.
  • Psychotext 8 Mar 2010 10:28:07 53,760 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see LPB Kart racing/Tennis/Golf/Party games coming our way soon.
    Funny, I just posted this on another site...

Little Big Sports Resort

:D
  • morriss 8 Mar 2010 10:29:15 70,911 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone speculate they could use it to push their motion control. That makes a lot of sense to me.
  • kalel 8 Mar 2010 10:31:34 86,233 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He already is "iconic".

What you mean is "he's no Mario".
  • kalel 8 Mar 2010 10:38:27 86,233 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    He already is "iconic".

What you mean is "he's no Mario".

So you'd say when people think of Playstation they think immediately of Sackboy?

Either you're putting an argument into my mouth, or you don't know what the word "iconic" means.
  • jerrymanu 8 Mar 2010 10:43:24 3,119 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ....................................................................... I wouldn’t be surprised to see LPB Kart racing/Tennis/Golf/Party games coming our way soon.

Hmm, this actually sound pretty cool. Sack boy as the face of numerous new IP's? Could happen I suppose, but to me, LBP isn't really about sackboy, its about creation and customisation. If MM or now Sony could bring these things to Kart racing (mod nation rip off basically) tennis golf etc, with the same charm and sensitivity that MM handled LBP then great. But if we just got a load of average games sporting Sackboys face, in an attempt to add a level of 'quality' then it's all destined to fail. IMO.
  • macksed 8 Mar 2010 10:46:38 3,798 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don' think sackboy is an icon at all, you'd be surprised how many playstation gamers wouldn't know who he is, let alone other gamers/non gamers.
  • kalel 8 Mar 2010 10:48:01 86,233 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That doesn't mean he's not an icon, it just means it's not a particularly well known one.

They have Sackboy keyrings at the till in HMV...
  • Zidargh 8 Mar 2010 10:50:37 1,668 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sackboy is definitely not on par with Mario in terms of recognition - yet.

Just the other day I was in Paperchase and saw some plushie thinking 'oh is that Sackboy merchandise'? But it wasnt. Sure you can interpret this as a means of me remembering the character, but I see it as evidence of Sackboy looking fairly generic in terms of those weird, niche toys you find.
  • morriss 8 Mar 2010 10:50:51 70,911 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

i·con
    Show Spelled[ahy-kon] Show IPA

–noun
    a picture, image, or other representation.
    Eastern Church. a representation of some sacred personage, as Christ or a saint or angel, painted usually on a wood surface and venerated itself as sacred.
    a sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.
    Computers. a picture or symbol that appears on a monitor and is used to represent a command, as a file drawer to represent filing.
    Semiotics. a sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.

i·con·ic
    Show Spelled[ahy-kon-ik] Show IPA
    –adjective

of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.
    Art. (of statues, portraits, etc.) executed according to a convention or tradition.

Right. Can we move on now, please. :)
  • Deleted user 8 March 2010 10:51:04
    He is well known. Just not to the same extent as Mario or Sonic.
  • kalel 8 Mar 2010 10:59:35 86,233 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    That doesn't mean he's not an icon, it just means it's not a particularly well known one.

They have Sackboy keyrings at the till in HMV...

Surely the common use of "iconic" would mean that the Icon has to be well known?

I think you’re confusing “common use” with “the use I am using for the sake of this discussion”. I suspect you’ll find the “common use” of the word “icon” is basically a synonym for “symbol”.

Regardless, in the context that morriss and I are using the word, it’s quite clear that we are talking about Sony using a reasonably successful game icon and broadening it out.

You may not currently associate Sackboy as an icon for Playsation, but the whole point we’re making is that Sony have this in mind as something that could happen in future.
  • morriss 8 Mar 2010 11:01:47 70,911 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2010 11:12:10
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    maybe I'm wrong

Could well be.
  • kalel 8 Mar 2010 11:13:04 86,233 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, "iconic" is absolutely the right word to use. I'm just going to repeat my point as you seem to have not read it or something. I'll even bold the key word for you.

kalel wrote:
    Sony have always lacked an iconic character for the brand (let’s ignore Crash Bandicoot) and I’m sure they’ve seen the potential in Sackboy.
  • DFawkes 8 Mar 2010 11:15:43 22,580 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope they do water the way I thought they would - if you're doing a sequel, it's a good opportunity to change the core engine. The water is fine as is, but I was expecting it kind of like a material, so I could create a container out of concrete then fill it with water, and build crazy water powers contraptions.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous