E-Cigarette adventures Page 48

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• Zomoniac 6 Oct 2011 15:16:02 7,810 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I now have a Screwdriver. It's fucking HUGE! Wasn't quite expecting that, after getting used to the more pocket-friendly DSE901. Seems nice though, feels heavy-duty and robust. Decent hit, plenty of vapour, but seems to be more mellow. I like it.
  • Blaketown 16 Nov 2011 15:47:39 4,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My missus has shown an interest in these things.

I think I might get her one for Christmas.

What does the hive mind recommend? Bear in mind I have zero knowledge on the subject.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• TheRealBadabing 16 Nov 2011 16:16:15 1,283 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Normally most people recommend the 901 starter kit (lots of links in this thread) but I think the simplicity of "cartomisers" might be more appealing to the less gadget-minded sex.

Something like this might be an alternative to the usual recommendation. Most people move on quite quickly to a bigger battery system if they enjoy vaping, so the starter kit tends to be a bridge to more serious equipment.
  • spindle9988 16 Nov 2011 16:20:01 3,504 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I couldnt get on with these.I Need that hit at the back of my throat to make me feel like I am actually smoking something.
  • Psychotext 16 Nov 2011 16:46:00 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plenty of juices / ecigs that would do that. Some of them unbearably so (more like smoking weed / cigars than a cigarette).
  • Psychotext 16 Nov 2011 16:48:17 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and yeah, I'd go for a Joye eGo system right off the bat personally. So many people stop because they've only tried the shitty kit.
  • mal 16 Nov 2011 16:49:49 22,341 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You shouldn't be getting a throat hit smoking cigars, if you're doing it right!

So why are cartomizers so much cheaper than cart and atomiser pairs? What are the downsides?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 16 Nov 2011 17:01:40 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know what I mean. :p
  • Psychotext 16 Nov 2011 17:02:29 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're cheaper because on the whole they're built to be disposable.

I personally prefer smokeymizers, but they're basically the same thing.
  • Blaketown 16 Nov 2011 17:07:56 4,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Oh, and yeah, I'd go for a Joye eGo system right off the bat personally. So many people stop because they've only tried the shitty kit.
    That's the sort of advice I'm after.

If a things worth doing it's worth spending waay too much money on.

What is the difference between a eGo 510 and an Ego-T?

Also as I'm going to have to buy fluid what should I look for in that. I'd assume that's as important.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Psychotext 16 Nov 2011 17:16:00 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    T is a tank system. Basically you fill the tank with a reasonable amount of liquid and it'll last for a while. Advantage of the 510 is that you can just swap cheap cartridges around to use / try different flavours.

Best bet with the liquids is buying a bunch of them to try. It's pretty much guaranteed that half of the ones tried will be horrible. :D

Lots of reviews here:

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=73
    http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=6
    http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=75
    http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=68
  • Dirtbox 16 Nov 2011 17:46:59 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't rate the ego-t, it was nice to start with before the cracks in it's design started to appear, also it's huge, I wouldn't have been interested in going straight to one when I started out, it's like sucking on a heavy cigar tube.

Get a more ciggy looking thing because they're disposably cheap and easier to get into because you don't feel so self concious with them. Easily one of the two biggest hurdles to get over when starting out with these things. The other being that you won't ever get the kind of throat hit you got with cigs, but with persistence you can overcome that.

As for liquid, get PG. I've always found VG to be quite rough and not particularly pleasant. Also don't worry about tobacco flavoured liquids, they're vile. Fruit flavours are the most successful, especially if she has a sweet tooth.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:55:30 16-11-2011

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Psychotext 16 Nov 2011 17:56:53 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a fair point, I guess a woman is more likely to be self concious about the look of the thing.

...I'd say the complete opposite of DB on VG vs PG btw, so it's worth trying both. Also, people are far more likely to get throat irritation with PG (and some people are mildly allergic to it).
  • Dirtbox 16 Nov 2011 18:01:25 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rarely allergic to it, it's a food additive so a vast majority of people aren't. Also VG lessens the life of the atomisers by about half and while it creates slightly more vapour, it takes a lot less time for it to gunk up the atomiser so before long it's less vapour than the otherwise steady PG liquid.

You just should get this. Worry about juice later.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:05:26 16-11-2011

• Deleted user 16 November 2011 18:04:44
    Right, gotta order one of these for the old man when he gets out of hospital. What's the recommend smoker these days?
  • Dirtbox 16 Nov 2011 18:05:58 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The one I linked in the last post. Might be old hat compared to the stuff that's around now, but it's tried and true.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:07:01 16-11-2011

• TheRealBadabing 16 Nov 2011 19:20:15 1,283 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For Blaketown, the reason I pointed out the mirage stuff was it is generally easier to make the transition at first if the e-cig looks/feels a bit like a real one.

Of course, if you are willing to make the commitment, the eGo-T is a great system and is still my most used (specifically the low resistance type B/C...see how complex it can get?).

I have been vaping for over two years now and I still try different equipment occasionally. A starter kit is just a taster but as Psychotext says, a crap one will give a smoker a superb excuse to forget about giving up.

As for juice, it always comes down to taste whether you enjoy a dry tobacco, sweet tobacco, menthol, fruity, or even savoury. Then it's how each of those flavours work with your choice of kit...some kits give loads of flavour at the expense of throat hit for example.

As for VG vs PG, for me I only use PG these days as I find it wicks better for tank and carto systems. I did enjoy VG for the thicker vapour and sweeter taste.
  • Psychotext 16 Nov 2011 20:11:35 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    A starter kit is just a taster but as Psychotext says, a crap one will give a smoker a superb excuse to forget about giving up.
    I mention it mostly because its exactly what happened to me. Started off with a bog standard 901 kit and dumped it all after a few weeks. Vapour quantity was poor, battery life was awful.

It took me buying a screwdriver and later a passthrough to finally get me off the fags.
  • Zomoniac 18 Nov 2011 09:42:40 7,810 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chiming in with my experience on this one, go for a Riva, not a DSE. Or at the very least get a manual DSE. I've had 5+ auto DSE901 batteries and none have last more than a couple of weeks. And most of them develop a fault where they're always turning themselves on. Plus even when working you'll struggle to last the day without a charge. Conversely, I've had 3 Riva 901s, two of them I got in March, have since given away but I know both are working. Now I just have a Riva 901 XXL 1100mAh battery, will go two days of vaping on one charge.
  • Blaketown 18 Nov 2011 10:06:22 4,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    **Head Explodes**

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Psychotext 18 Nov 2011 11:36:59 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, it's a bit like that.
  • TheRealBadabing 18 Nov 2011 14:02:58 1,283 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    **Head Explodes**
    Imagine you were about to start smoking now. Loads of people would tell you what brand was best but until you tried a few you would never know.
  • Psychotext 18 Nov 2011 16:29:01 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Related, saw a display of disposable ecigs in my local Tesco petrol station yesterday. Thought that was quite cool.

It's come a long way. :)
  • Dirtbox 18 Nov 2011 16:42:10 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's excellent. The more people who use them means it'll be harder to budge when the end day comes again.

What's the story with that now anyway?

• Psychotext 18 Nov 2011 17:02:30 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not seen anything for a while, and I'm starting to see even arseholes like ASH calming down on ecigs so I'm wondering if it might just eventually get quietly dropped.
  • Dirtbox 18 Nov 2011 17:11:38 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I dunno about that, it'll all spark up again at some point I'm sure.

• Psychotext 18 Nov 2011 17:27:06 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I they're going after drivers who smoke for a while. Then it'll be people who smoke at home and then finally anyone who smokes within 300 feet of anyone else.
  • TheRealBadabing 2 Dec 2011 10:35:01 1,283 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having a bit of a tidy and have discovered some kit that I'm not likely to use again so if anyone is interested, make me an offer!

22 x 510 Low resistance attys (with about 10 x 510->901 adapters for the Screwdriver/other 901 battery).

13 x 901 attys with a couple of adapters

3 x Screwdriver bodies (Mk 1) - silver, black and gold. One needs a new spring I think. Have 4 brand new batteries too.

A Janty Stick with about 8 spare 801 attys.

PM me if you are interested, cheers.
  • Psychotext 2 Dec 2011 10:47:12 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess I should sell all my stuff given I'm not using it any more.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last