Inflammatory article seeks pwning by DF.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • edhe 7 Mar 2010 09:16:29 5 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saw this : http://www.gamesonsmash.com/?p=15375 and looks like afnboi trash, would like to see DF rip the article up in their defence.

NB i know the article is ps3tard trash, trying to circumstantially say that DF is anti-ps3, but it would be nice to see it ripped up.

regards,
    edhe.

• Freek 7 Mar 2010 09:26:51 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ignore it, there will always be people on the internet who will misunderstand articles on technology sites as flamebait for the "console war".

Eurogamer itself is acused of being biaased towards Xbox 360 on one day, then as soon as another review hits it's biased towards PS3.
    It's all pointless. Getting involved with that sort of thing by writing responses only damages the sites reputation.
  • edhe 7 Mar 2010 10:21:41 5 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True, true.
  • Retroid Moderator 7 Mar 2010 10:44:18 44,503 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I liked how talking about better ways to encode video than single-pass Bink to make better use of DVD was, and I quote:
    "Basically he's hating on the Blu Ray. C'mon dude. Lavish CG sequences in Full HD 1080p is what the Blu Ray is made for in addition to providing developers with the canvas they need to make their game design and expansive vision a reality."

Nnnngh.

All fanboy camps seem to think that if someone doesn't 100% agree with their world view then it's because they're BIASED.
  • PenguinJim 7 Mar 2010 11:06:01 5,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got to that "Basically he's hating on the Blu Ray" bit, too, and had to go back and re-read all his quotes. Then I had to do it again. But I still don't get it!

Nnnngh!
  • pinebear 7 Mar 2010 11:35:10 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    I liked how talking about better ways to encode video than single-pass Bink to make better use of DVD was, and I quote:
    "Basically he's hating on the Blu Ray. C'mon dude. Lavish CG sequences in Full HD 1080p is what the Blu Ray is made for in addition to providing developers with the canvas they need to make their game design and expansive vision a reality."

Nnnngh.

All fanboy camps seem to think that if someone doesn't 100% agree with their world view then it's because they're BIASED.

That passage in particular struck me as odd. Wasn't RL actually saying that the 360 version needed to compensate better than it did on account of NOT having BR's storage capacity?

• Retroid Moderator 7 Mar 2010 11:44:35 44,503 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, pretty much. It'd take some pretty impressive (depressing?) fanspecs to be able to read it as a swipe at Blu Ray.
  • BillyBrush 7 Mar 2010 14:37:52 137 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really don't get why PS fans are uppity about that article

Firstly - it's won that face off, comprehensively

Secondly - Given the videos, he's emphasized the differences (as he should) showing every single flaw possible, surely? as in, gone to town just as much on it as any other title such as Bayonetta.

The guy who wrote this should just take a look at the DF Bayonetta videos, and the DF Final Fantasy videos, and realise how massively wrong his article is.
  • Syrette 7 Mar 2010 14:45:43 43,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fanboy nonsense. The mere fact he created an article of that length suggests the author needs to get out more. And if you read the comments, apparently he stole a lot of it from a guy on GAF.

Playstation fanboys are just too defensive, it really is sad.

For the record and in the interests of equality, Xbox fanboys are too offensive and Nintendo fanboys are just deluded.

• BillyBrush 7 Mar 2010 14:52:46 137 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From the DF bayonetta face off

It's at points like this where you have to wonder why the developer didn't capture the Xbox 360 cut-scenes, perform v-sync clean-up and render them out as full-motion video, streamed straight from Blu-ray disc. PS3 has the storage space and oodles of decoding power that would've produced a better look than the 360 game, and no loading would've been required either.

A lot of the accepted tricks in lowering the bandwidth overhead have already been used. For example, SEGA's developers have implemented lower-resolution alpha buffers: transparency effects are less defined, saving tons of bandwidth, but the reduction in quality is barely noticeable during gameplay. (It's a popular trick, even used by the most mighty of first-party PS3 developers.)

As it is, the layering of transparencies, the sheer amount of them all over the screen, plus the added overhead of post-processing - it's the sort of thing that you shouldn't really be making central to the game experience in a multi-platform release
    .Admittedly Richard didn't in that article point out 'as many' times what Sega could have done to better port the game over, as he did in the FF article, however i guess video encoding is something which could be got right and not be too difficult, therefore slapped wrist square (why not)...and Sqenix made a point of saying 'this is the exact same quality' complete with misleading screenshots

Still...a lot of the content this guy is looking for and not managing to cntrl+ c for his article, is actually there....it just doesn't fit his agenda.
  • Shrike 7 Mar 2010 15:43:36 405 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From the comments:

Its a shame for Mr.Richard,Eurogamer,Digitalfoundry and even Europe(!) in general.

To war!
  • edhe 8 Mar 2010 12:47:06 5 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hm, educated discussion, i knew there was a reason i came here...
  • Retroid Moderator 8 Mar 2010 13:14:50 44,503 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    Fanboy nonsense. The mere fact he created an article of that length suggests the author needs to get out more. And if you read the comments, apparently he stole a lot of it from a guy on GAF.
    :D

Really? Christ that's sad.

He does a podcast, dontchaknow.
  • Tomahawk 8 Mar 2010 23:50:40 120 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I read the article and to my "untrained" aka regular gamer eyes the quality on the 360 was very good except for the hair and some detailed objects had a slight loss of quality.

The article did come off as very biased as all it did was rip on the 360 version and many readers would have come off with the impression that the 360 was significantly worse, even though it looks very sharp and runs well on the 360.

Using words like "poor", "disappointing" and "amateurish" sound pretty damning to me. While it may seem that way to people who count pixels all day, nobody else will have a problem with it.

The good thing about the article was it was quite in-depth but it was poorly written and worded for a gaming journalist and it's no wonder people are calling it inflammatory and fanboyish.

(from a 360 and PS3 owner)
  • seasidebaz 10 Mar 2010 07:32:01 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh. Good rant there. So basically it says that DF are massive Xbox fanboys? Yeah, we knew that already.
  • ilmaestro 10 Mar 2010 07:34:56 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DF really do need to stop hating on Playstation, I heard they actually planted the virus that caused the February 29th bug.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next