"The Room" by Tommy Wiseau

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Obiwanshinobi 7 Mar 2010 06:59:02 870 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Freaked out by [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhrd1R8-dBg">this creepy... trailer, I was expecting something akin to, say,
  • mrharvest 7 Mar 2010 08:21:42 5,454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've been wanting to see this for ages. Did you see it at a screening or at home?
  • Obiwanshinobi 7 Mar 2010 08:40:02 870 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched it at home. I doubt it reached a single cinema in the entire Europe (which is a shame). It's worth buying a DVD, if reasonably priced. This film really is something special...
  • Sharks 7 Mar 2010 08:46:57 5,121 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did not hit her I did not hit her that's bullshit! Oh hi Mark!
  • Bloodloss 7 Mar 2010 11:56:10 4,497 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome movie.
  • jellyhead 7 Mar 2010 12:00:54 24,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "You're a Lion, I nearly hit you"

Is this a spoof? Is it? It's not real,please tell me it's not real.
  • Zob 8 Mar 2010 16:28:44 140 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This film is real alright, and a bloody classic too. There aren't many films that I watch again straight away after seeing them the first time.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Mar 2010 18:30:11 32,095 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a girl I was on a date with last week was telling me about this. She saw it with some friends for a birthday at the cinema, it's legendary apparantly. I hadn't heard of it, but she said people came prepared, and at certain points chucked items at the screen or waved stuff about in the air etc. Something to do with spoons..?
  • Dirtbox 8 Mar 2010 18:31:36 89,650 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dirtbox 8 Mar 2010 18:41:25 89,650 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mrharvest 8 Mar 2010 18:49:06 5,454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Obiwanshinobi wrote:
    Watched it at home. I doubt it reached a single cinema in the entire Europe (which is a shame). It's worth buying a DVD, if reasonably priced. This film really is something special...
    Fans organise screenings at theatres in UK occasionally since it's attained cult status. There one at Prince Charles Cinema in March.
  • Dirtbox 8 Mar 2010 18:58:58 89,650 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Mar 2010 19:00:10 32,095 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it was showing in Edinburgh a couple of weeks back.
  • Obiwanshinobi 9 Mar 2010 05:25:09 870 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "I hurt you."
  • the_dudefather 11 Sep 2010 00:19:43 10,573 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh hai Unofficial 'The Room' adventure game

funny stuff so far
  • Futaba 11 Sep 2010 01:24:41 3,630 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First part of Nostalgia Critic's The Room review :D

"You're tearing me apart Liisaaa!!" That part where he 'trashes' the room in 'anger' is especially hilarious.
  • cubbymoore 12 Feb 2013 14:29:40 36,634 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The fans will both be flocking to it.
    Went to a screening of it over the weekend at the Prince Charles Cinema and it was sold out! To be fair Tommy Wiseau was there at the beginning to do a Q&A.
  • psychokitten Moderator 12 Feb 2013 15:23:14 7,795 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The fans will both be flocking to it.
    Went to a screening of it over the weekend at the Prince Charles Cinema and it was sold out! To be fair Tommy Wiseau was there at the beginning to do a Q&A.
    Does he go to the screenings regularly? I see there's another one on next month so I'm hoping I'll be around to go to that. Still haven't seen this in a group/cinema setting and I'd loooove to.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 12 Feb 2013 15:41:14 47,419 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My friend does a podcast where they discuss a bad movie each week. This week was The Room, and I now have no desire to watch it :)
  • Dirtbox 12 Feb 2013 17:18:35 89,650 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • cubbymoore 12 Feb 2013 17:46:31 36,634 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's pretty good with a whole cinema holding up lighters and swaying their arms to the music during the sex scenes.
  • psychokitten Moderator 12 Feb 2013 18:21:22 7,795 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I want to go to there
  • sirtacos 25 Nov 2017 20:15:25 8,017 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just saw a few clips of this on youtube, and I'm hooked. Ordered the DVD immediately.

The Room seems to be a masterpiece in the way that only an earnestly terrible film can be.

Tommy Wiseau is definitely an alien, btw. That or a vampire with some kind of social disability.

Edited by sirtacos at 20:16:29 25-11-2017
  • oceanmotion 25 Nov 2017 20:24:20 17,277 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I started watching some clips and it weirdly sucks you in, black hole of films or Dark Crystal in real life.
  • Baihu1983 25 Nov 2017 20:25:16 9,559 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really want to see The disaster artist
  • sirtacos 25 Nov 2017 20:36:01 8,017 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Disaster Artist", a documentary about the making of The Room, just came out this year, and apparently it's very good.

Here's some trivia about The Room, straight from imdb:

Tommy Wiseau submitted the film to Paramount, hoping to get them as the distributor. Usually, it takes about two weeks to get a reply. The film was rejected within twenty-four hours.
    Entire scenes were out of focus because nobody bothered to check the lens.

Tommy Wiseau took 32 takes to say the lines "I did not hit her! It's not true! It's bullshit! I did not hit her! I did not! Oh, hi, Mark!". Wiseau sometimes needed cue cards to help him with his lines.

When Tommy Wiseau said the line "In a few minutes, bitch," everyone on the set began laughing. Wiseau came out of the bathroom and demanded to know what was so funny.

Shot simultaneously on 35 mm film and high-definition video. Tommy Wiseau was confused about the differences between the formats, so he used both cameras on the same mount. He also purchased the cameras, instead of renting them as film productions usually do.
    Tommy Wiseau insisted on having his bare bottom filmed. "I have to show my ass or this movie won't sell" was Wiseau's reasoning.

Mark (Greg Sestero) is named after Matt Damon. Tommy Wiseau misheard Damon's name despite his obsession with the actor.

Tommy Wiseau intended for the film to contain a subplot in which Johnny was revealed to be a vampire, due to Wiseau's own fascination with the creatures.

At the outset of production, Wiseau tasked members of the crew with figuring out a way to execute a sequence in which Johnny's Mercedes-Benz would lift off from the roof of the townhouse and fly across the San Francisco skyline, revealing Johnny's vampiric nature. Wiseau eventually decided to drop the subplot after learning that there was no practical way to film the flying car scene on the production's budget.

The reason why Peter seemed dazed and was touching things in one scene was because the actor had suffered a concussion and Tommy Wiseau wouldn't let him leave for treatment.

Tommy Wiseau was adamant about only using English in the movie. While shooting the 'Mark and Johnny play catch' scene, Greg Sestero said "catch this" in French and Tommy lost his cool and tackled him, yelling "No French, dammit!".

According to Tommy Wiseau, Denny has some sort of mental disorder, which explains his behaviour in the film.
    Philip Haldiman (the actor playing Denny) was not told about this.

The woman in the flower shop was not an actress but the woman who actually worked there. Tommy Wiseau, upon seeing the dog, asked if it was "the real thing". Tommy wanted to know if it was a real, living, actual dog.

Tommy Wiseau owns the building the rooftop scenes are based on, and could have filmed there at no cost. He didn't. Instead, he had an identical rooftop set specially built, with green screen for the background.

While filming the fight between Johnny and Mark, Tommy Wiseau really was hurting Greg Sestero. By the end of it, the latter had bruises all over his arms and wrists from the former's hands, which have apparent "cyborg-like strength".

Dan Janjigian stayed in character during his entire time on set, resulting in the other actors being genuinely scared of him.

When asked in the DVD director's interview why there are so many scenes of characters playing catch with a football, Tommy Wiseau simply responded that football is fun.
    Edited by sirtacos at 22:16:22 25-11-2017
  • RGeefe 25 Nov 2017 21:48:21 116 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Read the book. It is amazing and couldn't put it down. The whole bit where he makes an advert for his company starring and directed by himself just so he can get a SAG card is desperately adorable.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.