Socom 4 Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• JYM60 17 May 2011 18:49:06 16,783 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Added a few of you in this thread.

PSN is Badly_Cooked_JYM. Not my main account, but I'll be using it until I get JohnnyM60 back!

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Progguitarist 18 May 2011 12:20:45 10,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really like the multiplayer. It's a solid, meat and potatoes shooter with very little bollocks.
  • infoxicated 18 May 2011 12:59:41 1,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JYM60 - I accepted your invite last night.

We really need to get a squad together soon - it's rare that randoms work well as a team.
  • repairmanjack 28 May 2011 10:18:08 5,987 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really loving this online. Played for a few hours last night. Community seems a mix, but found a great game and we kept cycling through the maps. Would like to get some EG games up, if folk are still on it regularly - although I'm just sorting out a new headset.

ID: madtheswine
  • jawapower 28 May 2011 11:17:07 4 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absosolutely loving this - although there are times when I want to hurl the controller at the screen it is mostly due to my own incompetence. Need to tame my run and gun instincts. This will see me through the summer till Battlefield 3.
  • cRRN1234 28 May 2011 15:27:03 3 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    i've never been a huge fan of SOCOM. They've never lived up to expectations and the gameplay isnt great whatsoever.
  • Deleted user 30 May 2011 16:07:47
    Been about a week since I last played it. I love the online, but the last time I fired it up I logged straight into a room where the first thing I heard was one dickhead shouting over the comms that he was going to rape the other guys Mrs. Now that's bad enough, but I didn't have my headset plugged in and that came out over the surround sound. Both my Mrs and my daughter heard it. I just can't be assed with randoms in online games anymore. I'll never understand this particular dev's penchant for forcing people to hear everyone else's verbal excrement online. They did it with MAG and now this.

I really, really hope they implement a proper party system and that includes voice chat. If not then I won't be buying another of their titles.
  • Ultrasoundwave 2 Jun 2011 08:53:11 3,266 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got this for £24 in Game and quite happy with it so far - the SP is pretty much by the numbers but still a nice, tactical alternative to COD.

Havent tried the MP yet but will try it later..........

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• repairmanjack 3 Jun 2011 03:13:03 5,987 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving this, but no one on my friends list is playing it. Just bought a new headset, too.

SP is lengthier than I'd imagined. Enjoying it, and the challenge missions you can design yourself. Smacks of the good old days of GRAW online.

Picked up MAG from amazon for £6 today. Figured I should start to get the use of out the PS3's online gubbins.
  • 1Dgaf 3 Jun 2011 04:29:07 3,788 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BTH, repairman. BTH.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• HisDudness 3 Jun 2011 09:01:52 957 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New free shit available for Plus members (of which you will all be very soon). Also more free shit coming soon, including 3 brand new maps. Did I mention it's for free?

Hopefully the party system is in place soon.

Also, I should post this in the MAG section, but since it was mentioned earlier, the Interdiction DLC is free for plus users. It's the best mode IMO, but it's hard to play outside of the weekends. Hopefully this will give it a boost.
  • repairmanjack 4 Jun 2011 00:30:29 5,987 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the free stuff US only? Not a word of it on the UK forums.
  • repairmanjack 4 Jun 2011 00:30:30 5,987 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the free stuff US only? Not a word of it on the UK forums.
  • Deleted user 5 June 2011 08:39:11
    It does seem to be US only, which is a right effin kick in the teeth imo. Verging on trading it in and just rebuying Rainbow Six: LV tbh. Party patch seems to be a long way off and they're doing absolutely jack all to keep non-US players on-side.
  • HisDudness 5 Jun 2011 12:39:14 957 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah sorry about getting your hopes up. I actually imported, because my Plus membership is with the NA store...

Don't blame you for being angry.
  • Deleted user 5 June 2011 23:58:05
    No worries man - just annoyed because I like a lot of what's there, but wont put up with a voice comms and lobby system straight out of 2004.
  • banger 10 Jun 2011 14:10:02 183 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Loving this, but no one on my friends list is playing it. Just bought a new headset, too.

SP is lengthier than I'd imagined. Enjoying it, and the challenge missions you can design yourself. Smacks of the good old days of GRAW online.

Picked up MAG from amazon for £6 today. Figured I should start to get the use of out the PS3's online gubbins.

Couldn't agree more! I used to love playing GRAW and going back even further Ghost Recon 2 and GR Summit Strike online. Has anyone here started a clan for socom 4 yet or want too? I've only played this online for a couple of hours but I was very impressed!

Add me if you want some regular games now online is back!

ID: spur

• HisDudness 13 Jun 2011 13:03:16 957 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Patch hits tomorrow. Unfortunately, a party system is not part of it...

Here's the notes:

Second Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.03
    Confirmed Release: June 14, 2011

•Repaired multiple issues related to camera collision, including moving the camera above the player's head when colliding with geometry of moving to/ from narrow spaces
    •Revised PE4 Explosives: Dramatically reduced throwing velocity and throwing distance, while lowering the damage value
    •Adjusted gun accuracy values to more unique by weapon
    •Updated "tap-to-talk" in Classic mode so that it functions properly on with all DualShock control schemes and the PlayStation Move/ Sharp Shooter peripheral
    •Fixed "spawn delay" issue that prevented players from spawning simultaneously consistently
    •Added controller options for adjusting the dead zone and acceleration
    •Added option to activate a center dot for your targeting reticule if desired
    •Added option to turn in-game XP displays on or off
    •Removed Merits and Victory Dances in Clan Challenge Matches
    •"Ready" Clans are now filtered to the top of the Clan Challenge list
    •Added Clan Lobby Player Counts to Clan Challenge Invites
    •Made improvements to camera while in "Spectator" View
    •Increased strafe and backwards movement character speed
    •Increased Victory Dance animation duration
    •Multiplayer Gametypes are now organized by category
    •Added queues for "Classic Small Suppression. Classic Medley" and "Classic Small Medley"
  • Progguitarist 13 Jun 2011 13:04:40 10,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's that traded then.
  • HisDudness 13 Jun 2011 13:08:52 957 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    heh fair enough. Not sure if this will make a difference for you, but I didn't include this little nugget:

Third Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.04
    Estimated Release: July 2011

•Activation of SOCOM 4 Party System

•More to confirm…
  • Progguitarist 13 Jun 2011 13:10:21 10,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's no mention of them re-jigging the maps the alleviate the games biggest problem: spawn camping.
  • HisDudness 15 Jun 2011 13:21:31 957 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good news everyone!

SOCOM Pro is available for free on the European Store, and it will include the recently released 3 new maps and 2 new guns:

SOCOM Special Forces – Pro Assault Pack (free)
    (To use this pack you will need SOCOM: Special Forces and the Pro Access pass which is available to download for free on the PSN Store) Rating: PEGI 16
  • infoxicated 15 Jun 2011 13:31:14 1,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    There's no mention of them re-jigging the maps the alleviate the games biggest problem: spawn camping.
    This.

In one match I played last night, we couldn't get out of either spawn point for a good four minutes of the match, by which time their bomb tech had diffused two bombs. It still ended in a tie, but it was rage quit material.

After patching last night, I got murdered for two rounds of games with the most profane Americans I think I've ever encountered online, which is saying something. In one match I got knifed from 15 feet away by a guy who'd just run past me and I'd hit with the shotty. No idea how he got the knife hit in between my second shot, but we both ended up dead. :o(

It was then when I looked at the controller config and saw that Zipper had completely rejigged it with different parameters. So I went offline to play a custom campaign mission and dial in my controls again, but since they've given the interface bars with no indication of a value to help make the adjustment more tangible, it took me ages to get something I was happy with.

After doing all that, I couldn't be arsed and instead played New Vegas for an hour before I went to bed.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger SOCOM apologist over the last ten years than me, but I think they've fucked it, I really do... if we're not playing clan matches then I can't be arsed with playing a game this frustrating against randoms.
  • JBlokeUK 15 Jun 2011 13:35:46 2,309 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Socom 2 > every other shooter ever released.

Simple as that, although I've not got many complaints about Socom 4 when I've ventured online.

I like it when he's angry.

• effinjamie 17 Jun 2011 21:51:20 881 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been persevering with this since PSN came back up, but I think I'm done with it. I constantly feel like I'm fighting against the controls and end up dying because of it.
    There's a great game, somewhere in there, but I haven't got the time or the inclination to try and find it, not while there is so many genuine superior online games to play.

edit: spelling(damn iphone)

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• HisDudness 18 Jun 2011 13:25:30 957 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The latest patch gives you a lot of options over tweaking the controls. Try increasing the turn acceleration parameter, as well as the sensitivity along both axes. Makes the game much closer to MAG in terms of control, and helped me enjoy the game much more.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2011 10:34:29
    infoxicated wrote:
    After patching last night, I got murdered for two rounds of games with the most profane Americans I think I've ever encountered online, which is saying something.

After doing all that, I couldn't be arsed and instead played New Vegas for an hour before I went to bed.

That's why I traded it in the end. I really don't understand Zipper's attitude to voice comms. I should not have to have my headset switched on but lying on the other side of the room in order to not hear racist, homophobic, sexist wankers on the internet. Just how difficult is it to just have it set to no voice over speakers?

I'm probably going to rebuy Vegas - it's pretty much my only option for tactical shooters now, which is ridiculous.
  • JBlokeUK 27 Jun 2011 13:03:43 2,309 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just experienced my first batch of spawn campers on this game, could barely get out my spawn for most of the game as players from the other team were just sitting there, waiting. And players on my team were just sniping from within my spawn.

Just ridiculous. I fucking hate spawn campers.

I like it when he's angry.

• infoxicated 29 Jun 2011 13:46:09 1,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spawn camping?

Welcome to Zipper gameplay.

They do fix/tone it down if you stick with it for six to twelve months... sort of... :o\
  • effinjamie 29 Jun 2011 17:57:43 881 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gone back to GRAW 2 and think its a far better game.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Page

of 8 First / Last