Socom 4 Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• byron_hinson 21 Apr 2011 07:03:36 1,513 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had the game for over a week and still can't connect to multiplayer! Single player game is ok, but too repetitive and the poor team AI lets it down.
  • Progguitarist 23 Apr 2011 01:20:01 10,507 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been playing through the campaign. It's not terrible by any stretch but it definitely doesn't match up to the better shooters out there.

Really looking forward to taking it online ^_^
  • JYM60 23 Apr 2011 02:45:16 16,880 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm definitely preferring it to COD. It just feels different which is good, and a lot of missions can be approached differently, and selecting your gear and stuff is cool.

The squad thing is cool too, but really broken. The 4 characters can't be controlled. They get stuck in scenery all the time, don't take cover, run around & get raped by missiles (meaning you all get missiled trying to revive them), and just don't do what you tell them.
    If the left it at 2 in your squad, it'd have been much better.

Just can't wait for mp really.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• welshben23 23 Apr 2011 19:16:21 1,106 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I rented this game on Thursday, haven't played it online yet as the PSN is down. But the campaign is so generic and full of gaming cliches it should really be called Call of Honor Medal Duty of crossing Red River along Hells Highway with some Bad Company Brothers in Arms to get to the Battlefield Flashpoint.
  • Nozzinja 25 Apr 2011 12:12:54 205 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OK, This is really annoying me now, is there a "trick" to healing your downed squadmates or something?

The fact that I can't seem to heal anyone (the prompt pops up then disappears instantly) is making my elite playthrough of the campaign very frustrating.
  • DrDamn 3 May 2011 13:33:04 1,216 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nozzinja
    You have to look down at them - don't think you can do it whilst prone - and when the prompt is there then hold down the heal button. The heal zone you need to look at is a bit small.

In general I'm having a lot of fun with the SP campaign. As mentioned above it's different. Reminds me of a largely outdoor RS:Vegas in some respects. Squad control is ok - I like being able to stack up targets for them to take out and the distinction of approaches gold and blue teams use.

I've been exclusively playing with the Move controller and really liking that - just got a Sharpshooter over the weekend and really liking that too - bar a couple of minor niggles.
  • DrDamn 3 May 2011 13:42:03 1,216 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Upcoming Patches Info

Party System pushed back to the third patch (June 2011).
  • Nozzinja 4 May 2011 10:25:33 205 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DrDamn - Thanks, but to clarify do I need to be directly standing over them and looking directly down?
    and yeah its like a pixel hunt, I hope they address this.
  • ThemisB 4 May 2011 11:05:06 2,782 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just stand over them looking down and hold square, whether the button prompt comes up or not. I have literally never seen it bring up the 'revive' text prompt, but also never had a problem reviving.
  • infoxicated 4 May 2011 11:29:32 1,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I played through the first four missions last night and, thus far, I'm disappointed.

I used to love commanding the other teams via the headset in SOCOM 2 and above, so hitting the bloody d-pad seems like such a step backwards to me.

Being able to say "Bravo... stealth to... echo" and then being able to overwatch as the other team took the position was just so much more atmospheric than sticking your head out from cover to point your crosshairs at the place where the other team will vaguely move to.

It's like Zipper have stripped out all of the stuff that made SOCOM unique, and the control over the other teams is more like Full Spectrum Warrior than the great voice recognition system that made SOCOM so good on the PS2.

Really do hope the single player improves as the missions go on - right now I'm finding them far too linear.

That White Tiger stealth mission where you cannot avoid the alarms going off after you go down the stairs to the dry dock and turn right is pathetic - it's the same trigger point based shit that I hate CoD for. I actually tried to work my way around it, but the game won't let you do it, which means just about zero replay value.

I guess the positives are that it looks really good and the weapon behaviour seems nicely tuned, but heck, that's the case with most generic shooters these days.
  • ThemisB 4 May 2011 11:47:48 2,782 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't know the PS2 SOCOMs had voice controls. Occurred to me quite early on in 4's campaign that they would make it a bit more fun.

The levels do open up a little bit but don't expect too much. The game holds your hand so much with waypoints that often you'll see no reason to seek alternative methods, even though you can approach several sections in different ways.

Oh, and get used to the shitty insta-fail stealth missions. Most of the time you will fail unless you find the exact order in which to take down/avoid enemies. One towards the end in particular had me on the brink of throwing my Move controller out the window. I was playing it on hard but I'm not sure that matters too much for the stealth missions.

The campaign is average at best. The MP will be the first thing I try when PSN comes back. If anyone wants to add me for some games (I suck btw), my PSN ID is ThemisB.
  • infoxicated 4 May 2011 13:44:48 1,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, the voice controls in the earlier games where what made them great.

It was just so flexible - point at a door and say "Bravo... bang and clear!"

They'd acknowledge you, roll a flash-bang in the door and move in to take out the bad guys.

If you needed to go plant a charge or diffuse a bomb, you could tell the other team to "Overwatch" and they'd find a vantage point to take care of any bad guys that might approach whilst you were busy.

It was awesome, and got you into the mindset of playing tactically and behaving in the same way in online games.

You could even shout random stuff into the headset and get a reaction - bursting into a room with some bad guys you could shout at them to drop their weapons.

Playing SOCOM without team voice control is like playing WipEout without pick-up/speed pads.
  • HisDudness 4 May 2011 13:57:48 1,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems like a real missed opportunity then. The PS Eye (required for Move) has a microphone and everything!

I'm definitely ready to play this online again, if only PSN would oblige...
  • DrDamn 4 May 2011 16:49:52 1,216 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can treat the way points purely as a recommendation, they readjust depending on the route you take - the main objectives (diamonds with stars in them) you obviously have to follow - but others you can ignore.

For example that last stealth mission you can do in a number of ways. I managed to take out over half the main camp before getting rumbled last night :). If I'd been a bit more careful I could have had them all. (NB: This is before doing the initial task in the camp - think how nice and easy the rest of it would have been if I'd succeeded!).
  • infoxicated 4 May 2011 17:24:18 1,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for those pointers, good Doctor.

I will persevere - I've played everything with the word SOCOM on it except the Full Spectrum Warrior effort, even the PSP ones.

I just feel that with voice controls this could have really stood out from all the other shooters. If it could be done on the PS2 it really does seem like a missed opportunity on PS3.
  • Gregolution 4 May 2011 22:15:37 3,844 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I just started this tonight and after all the negative reviews I'm pleasantly surprised. It's nice and different. The story and voice acting is generic but I like the squad controls and general gameplay.

Online could be great....

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• KayJay 6 May 2011 10:36:15 5,290 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...Why aren't we talking about this... :/

:)
  • harriselhoff 8 May 2011 17:14:07 185 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm tempted to get this, but will the multiplayer be populated when PSN comes back online, or is it basically dead before it's even had a chance to get going?
  • JYM60 8 May 2011 20:03:36 16,880 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kj66246 wrote:
    ...Why aren't we talking about this... :/

:)

It's SP is pretty garbage.

• JBlokeUK 14 May 2011 14:08:26 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Well I just started this tonight and after all the negative reviews I'm pleasantly surprised. It's nice and different. The story and voice acting is generic but I like the squad controls and general gameplay.

Online could be great....

Got this game today and this is exactly my opinion of the SP. It's decent enough and I certainly feel I will enjoy it until PSN comes back online.

With Zipper's reputation for great online games I have high hopes for this online.

I like it when he's angry.

• infoxicated 14 May 2011 23:38:04 1,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In short, the single player is an insult to all the great SOCOM games that have come before this.

The end of level bosses are tedious. The stealth missions are an exercise in frustration - I got spotted through a brick wall in one of them - and the primitive squad control is miles behind the voice recognition system used on the PS2 games.

Even the menus are a disaster. The fact it forgets your favourite load-out, meaning you have to re-select every time is just lazy, inexcusable, and pathetic.

Zipper, I've been a fan of your games since RECOIL on the PC back in the late 90's, but this time you've laid a big steamy shit and practically killed the SOCOM franchise for me.

No amount of patching could save this shoddy, trigger point tram ride of a single player game and I might well trade it in before the PSN is back online.
  • JYM60 15 May 2011 11:08:42 16,880 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who would even bother playing Socom SP?

I played it for an hour. It's clearly just been made for Move douchebaggery.

• Deleted user 17 May 2011 00:32:29
    Anyone been playing this online since the return of PSN? I've been extremely impressed by it. So much so that I think it may have taken the tactical shooter crown from Rainbow 6. Love the move controls, gives the perfect halfway house between mouse and pad imo. Excellent accuracy, smooth movement, yet none of the silly, unrealistic 180 degree turns in a millisecond that you get with mouse based shooter.

All it needs now, imo, is for that party system to get patched in. Superb stuff.
  • JBlokeUK 17 May 2011 01:15:10 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree BraveArse. Spent a little over an hour so far online and was quite impressed, even though I'm shite at it as I get used to the maps. Also worked great with Move and agree on all your points about that.

Only played Suppression though so looking forward to trying out the other modes. Headshots are also VERY satisfying.

I like it when he's angry.

• repairmanjack 17 May 2011 01:16:50 6,071 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered this off amazon. Should be about for a few EG matches in a couple of days. I'm madtheswine on 360 and PS3 if you've got space for a Socom rookie.
  • infoxicated 17 May 2011 10:46:52 1,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I played an "hour" last night that turned into nearly two hours!

It's very different to the old SOCOM games online - much more like MAG with all the run & gun stuff and, from what I saw, very little team work going on, although suppression is always like that and for whatever reason the game never served me up anything else.

Quite enjoyed myself for the first hour and had a decent K/D ratio, but I tailed off later on. Hated the way it randomly changed my spawn point - really disorientating when you're trying to learn a map.

Some of the maps seemed to just promote grenade spam, but others were top notch - the one with the buildings and busted freeway had some great choke points that were hotly contested.

Looking forward to playing the different modes and to see how the weapons improve, too - so many times I had first shot on a guy and essentially drew his outline on the wall behind him the bullet spray was that bad! :D

Multiplayer has somewhat redeemed the game for me, and I think it could really shine in EG matches where we all work together.
  • Progguitarist 17 May 2011 12:09:43 10,507 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Multiplayer is pretty ace. Most importantly, it actually works...unlike certain other games that have been released in recent times.
  • neilqpr 17 May 2011 12:12:14 2,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this cheap anywhere yet?
  • Progguitarist 17 May 2011 12:16:14 10,507 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say it has dropped in price in a few places by now seeing as it didn't sell well in the UK.
  • infoxicated 17 May 2011 13:31:29 1,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did any PS3 games sell well over the last month?! ;o)

I got it for 30 from Morrisons (with my brother's staff discount card) and for the 10hrs of single player and the potential for loads of multiplayer I think that's a fair price.

Might as well get it now while there are stacks of people playing than wait until it's cheap and full of l33t fuckers that'll make it torturous to get in to!
  • Page

of 8 First / Last