Which game sold the PS2 for you? Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• chrisno21 21 Apr 2010 22:14:26 1,352 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only three hours, I couldn't bring myself to finishing it, guess i lasted an hour.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• muttler 26 Apr 2010 12:55:24 3,771 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tekken 5- Tekken has always been my fav fighting series overall, and Tekken 5 imo was great as it had loads of characters, including lots of old classics chars from Tekken 2 that didnt make it into Tekken 3, eg Baek. It had Tekkens 1, 2 & 3 unlockable on the disc, and a mini game to play while loading, so tons of content. Plus it had imo amazing graphics (one of the reasons I went over to MS last gen was because of the far superior gfx of the xbox over the PS2).

Shadow of the Colossus- very original, very high production values.

Final Fantasy X and XII- had to play these.
  • Huxamalay 26 Apr 2010 16:39:20 319 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    GTA3
  • Jazzy_Geoff 26 Apr 2010 16:46:48 7,767 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PES if anything
  • Popzeus 26 Apr 2010 16:55:11 8,250 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GTA3.

Happy days.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• muttler 26 Apr 2010 17:03:35 3,771 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Would of been GTA III and VC for me too, but had already played them on xbox before I got a PS2.
  • dsmx 26 Apr 2010 23:00:57 7,412 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do remember when I got my ps2 all those years ago and the first game I got was rumble racing. It was just after the ps2 had dropped from 300 to 260 quid. But I still remember regretting buying it for a while until GT3 and SSX tricky came out.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• ElNino9 26 Apr 2010 23:33:30 13,141 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I do remember when I got my ps2 all those years ago and the first game I got was rumble racing. It was just after the ps2 had dropped from 300 to 260 quid. But I still remember regretting buying it for a while until GT3 and SSX tricky came out.

You should have bought SSX and Timesplitters. Fucking awesome. Although technically shite, I quite enjoyed the first Midnight Club back when I got the PS2 at launch.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Bill Gates is Evil 26 Apr 2010 23:34:55 8,935 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Which game made me sell my PS2? Final Fantasy X. What the FUCK was that?!?!
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Apr 2010 00:03:35 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Burnout 3. The second one was the best racing game ever (on the Cube), and I was gutted it was only on PS2/Xbox.

That said, I keep it for Gradius V.
  • Deleted user 27 April 2010 19:05:08
    I've already answered what got me intot he PS2 at launch, but what is getting me back into my PS2 is the wonderful Sky Odyssey, the 2001 (pun intended) Sony classic too many of us overlooked cause we were gawking over Ico.

The music is by the same composer as Shadow of the Colussus as well, wonder if they have any other connections...no luck finding useful info on this game online, seems to have vanished without a trace upon release.
  • Flightrisker 27 Apr 2010 19:10:37 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FFVIII
  • morriss 27 Apr 2010 19:14:29 70,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never bought one. Well, I did, but about 8 years after it launched. Xbox and Gamecube boy, me.
  • Bill Gates is Evil 27 Apr 2010 19:14:57 8,935 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    FFVIII

Well that's a failed post.
  • JoeGBallad 27 Apr 2010 22:48:49 383 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When I was young and immature it was Devil May Cry. I was working in a games shop when I was 14 and it blew me away when we had it on the TV. If I was being honest though, it was Metal Gear Solid 2. MGS2 is probably the best example of 'the PS2 block-buster', not just for the cut-scenes, but for they way it moved from set-piece to set-piece like nothing else before. The demo on the rainy tanker sold it to me, but the full game had bomb-disposal, liaising with hostages and the legendary 'fission mailed'.

There are a lot of great blockbusters on the PS2, but MGS2 still impresses me.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• JoeGBallad 27 Apr 2010 22:57:49 383 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    That said, I keep it for Gradius V.

Love that game.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• goldenballs1988 27 Apr 2010 23:14:30 21 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pro evo (insert number) rocked until FIFA took back control!!!! San andreas was major selller for me!! Ahead of it's time
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Apr 2010 23:22:38 7,260 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really struggled to play San Andreas on the PS2. The pop up was terrible. I gave up at the end of the first city and ended up buying it again on Xbox a year or so later.
  • dsmx 28 Apr 2010 00:07:42 7,412 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    dsmx wrote:

You should have bought SSX and Timesplitters. Fucking awesome. Although technically shite, I quite enjoyed the first Midnight Club back when I got the PS2 at launch.

I didn't get the ps2 on launch so I kind of avoided the launch games for some reason I can't remember. If it makes you feel any better I did play SSX after I played SSX tricky and I did get timesplitters 2 but never got round to playing the first one.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• ElNino9 28 Apr 2010 00:23:09 13,141 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I never bought one. Well, I did, but about 8 years after it launched. Xbox and Gamecube boy, me.

We'd never have guessed. :)

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• OnlyMe 28 Apr 2010 17:25:58 3,104 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    FFVIII

No it isn't, I bet he was referring to the tech demo of FFVIII's dancing scene. Which in case, it's your post that failed.

Anyway, the knowledge of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo coming to the new consoles sold it to me way before the actual games did. Although, Final Fantasy X sold me a US PS2, because I couldn't wait for the PAL release.
  • Bill Gates is Evil 28 Apr 2010 21:48:01 8,935 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OnlyMe wrote:
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    FFVIII

No it isn't, I bet he was referring to the tech demo of FFVIII's dancing scene. Which in case, it's your post that failed.

Well I assumed Flightrisker just made the innocent error of mixing up his Playstations. After all, the thread is about which 'game' sold the PS2 for him, it's not about which non-representative, fluffed-up faux-tech demo of a dancing scene of a previous Playstation game sold the PS2 for you.
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Apr 2010 22:41:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do find it funny that 10 years on even PS3 struggles to do what Sony promised us PS2 would be able to do...

OOh *remembers underated racing game for ps2 and moves post*
  • thelatestmodel 2 May 2010 16:12:52 364 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Disgaea and Gradius V. They were both just sitting next to each other one summer when I was working at Gamestation (I think it was 2004), and I couldn't resist any longer. Since then it's become one of my favourite systems ever.
  • tenofspades 5 May 2010 19:07:48 1,693 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I bought a PS2 late- so I bought for a load of hyped up games- God of War 1/2, Final Fantasy X/XII, Shadow of the colloseus, Devil May Cry 1/3, Onimusis
    Anyway, God of War did prove to be the game of the console. And FFX/FFXII was a very major shift from the Final Fantasies of the PSOne. However, the graphics surprised me at the time as not that massive a shift from the PSOne or Dreamcast.
  • GamesConnoisseur 6 May 2010 00:59:17 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TimeSplitters cos of Free Radical, SSX as that wowed me and I did also get Ridge and Tekken at launch.

I knew Sony was bullshitting and confirmed when prize example pre launch, Bouncer didn't come across as advertised. But still that game was fun and Zone of Enders confirmed special status of PS2 for me.
  • Stop-gap 7 May 2010 00:42:18 329 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had a hard time remembering which game I bought mine for, then I remembered all the hours I played GTA3 before I even had a memory card, so it must have been that and Gran Turismo 3.

I love my launch fatty PS2, it's the epitome of a good console as far as I'm concerned, having given me countless hours fun, fun, fun.
  • trip919 9 May 2010 14:40:48 2,249 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The PS2 was unquestionably the king of the last generation for me.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last