Everybody's Tennis Portable

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Pirotic Moderator 3 Mar 2010 19:51:50 20,646 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    aka Minna no Tennis Portable.

Anybody splashed out on it? I played the demo (on the japanese PSN) and it brought back warm fuzzy memories of smash tennis on the SNES. Tempted to buy the full version but have no idea if it's supposed to be any good or not, the last 'Minna no' game on the PSP got pretty poor reviews (that mini-game one I forget the name of).

Failing that, was the PS2 version much cop?

/itchs
  • toy_brain 3 Mar 2010 19:57:46 1,256 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PS2 game was allright. Dead easy to get into. I'm someone who has barely touched a tennis game in his life, and getting up to speed on Everybody's tennis was no trouble at all.
    Plenty to do in that game, but a bit repetative. and not that hard.

PSP game seems to have an adventure/story mode, with wondering around and talking to people and finding items and stuff and all that. Could flesh things out nicely.

Personally I'd wait for an English version of the PSP game. It looks like a more complete package than whats on PS2.
  • HiddenAway 3 Mar 2010 21:16:34 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    *cough* old

Demo was OK but not brilliant. PS2 version was great fun. Standard smack the ball into the opponent's face applied.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• HiddenAway 14 Apr 2010 16:15:10 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EU release this summer! \o/

• LockeTribal 14 Apr 2010 16:17:21 4,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:

Fantastic!

EDIT: Anyone know if this has infrastructure multiplayer or is it limited to ad-hoc?
  • HiddenAway 14 Apr 2010 16:45:31 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:

Fantastic!

EDIT: Anyone know if this has infrastructure multiplayer or is it limited to ad-hoc?

Limited to ad-hoc I'm afraid, but it does have game sharing capabilities.

It may work on ad-hoc party but there's no confirmation on that yet.

Desperate to play? There's a free Japanese demo here.

• HiddenAway 4 Jun 2010 23:53:13 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like a tentative release date for Everybody's Tennis is out for 18th June!

• heyyo 5 Jun 2010 00:14:18 14,374 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Failing that, was the PS2 version much cop?

/itchs

The PS2 version is superb. Got cheap from Asda around Sept 07, played it pretty much everyday with my housemate for a year (along with Pro Evo). The SP game is good too, its not like Vtennis with its world tour mode or anything, you play a simple (but very long, latter 6/8ths of the tournament is very hard we both couldn't complete it) to unlock clothes and courts.

Charming graphics and gameplay is good. I picked it up for 8 should be about 5 now if you can find it, if you want I can look for my copy (not sure if I sold it with my PS2 or not) and sell it for a fiver.
  • HiddenAway 16 Jun 2010 12:03:27 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PSP demo today!

• INSOMANiAC 16 Jun 2010 20:02:23 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just downloaded the demo, booted it up, 'hooray' i thought, it looks exactly like everybodys golf, im going to love it. Then I played it. On clay at least you can hardly see the ball and it seems to difficult to hit, im sure you could get used to it in the end but I dont think its the game for me, Ill stick to Virtua Tennis.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Zachm 16 Jun 2010 23:48:34 238 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's strange, I tried the Japanese demo when it was released a while ago and for some reason I just couldn't figure out how to control it properly, and didn't enjoy it at all.

But with the English demo I got the hang of it straight away, and now I'm getting quite addicted!
  • HiddenAway 17 Jun 2010 01:08:02 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zachm wrote:
    It's strange, I tried the Japanese demo when it was released a while ago and for some reason I just couldn't figure out how to control it properly, and didn't enjoy it at all.

But with the English demo I got the hang of it straight away, and now I'm getting quite addicted!

I found this as well. It's extremely bizarre :p.

In fact, my first game was a full 2-0 set losing no points :S

• Roddy100 17 Jun 2010 02:36:52 705 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting. I wonder if they've improved the controls for the English release?

I'm looking forward to downloading the demo when I get home from work and making the comparison myself.
  • INSOMANiAC 17 Jun 2010 03:47:10 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a few more goes, I was a lot better and was battering the computer, mainly by back spinning it close to the net. Its ok but the there seems to be a distinct lack of depth, I may be missing something but there doesnt seem to be a way to change the power of your shots. Only having three types of shots and no way to control power seems very limiting and reminds me of the tennis game I used to play on the game gear.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• jonsaan 17 Jun 2010 10:38:10 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It sounds a bit worrying. There is nothing worse than a tennis game that is too easy. See the World tour of VT for clarification. It takes hours and hours of grinding before the challenge ramps up.

FCUTA!

• INSOMANiAC 17 Jun 2010 11:04:04 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well the computer character on the demo is EXTREMELY easy, I exepct they get considerably harder which will probably mean struggling because your character doesnt seem to have any arms, you have to be stood almost on top of the ball to hit it and diving is very very random.

Everybodys golf 2 is a very easy game but it still has depth and theres always room for human error, with the tennis this error factor is cut down because you can only seemingly hit the ball into about four different places per return and not being able to control the power means you're very unlikely to ever hit the ball out.

As I say it very very much reminds me of the game gear game I used to play.

That being said, I ended up having four or five games so it still retains some of the addictiveness of EG2

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• HiddenAway 17 Jun 2010 11:51:49 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Everybody's Tennis is all about the timing of the shots. If you time your shot incorrectly, the goes goes the wrong way.

The characters from the demo are all designed for beginners though which means you have more room for error.

• jonsaan 17 Jun 2010 13:03:50 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EG is not a very, very easy game. Easy to play maybe..

FCUTA!

• HiddenAway 17 Jun 2010 13:11:51 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    EG is not a very, very easy game. Easy to play maybe..

Hence it's entry in the "Easy to play, difficult to master" category ;-)

• INSOMANiAC 17 Jun 2010 14:46:25 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didnt say its very very easy, I said its very easy. Maybe Im just a master gamer and you're not but the single player posed absolutely no problems for me I dont remember losing once.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• jonsaan 17 Jun 2010 15:07:35 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really. Not once? Not even on the special condition challenges?

You must be a master gamer. Are you already in our EG club? Post your scores. See how you compare to the might of HA?

FCUTA!

• INSOMANiAC 17 Jun 2010 15:14:59 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nah, I did try to give you all a schooling once but you started without me, now you have missed out on the might that is iNSOMANiAC

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• jonsaan 17 Jun 2010 15:22:23 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SHame. I could have amazed you with my ability to Start really badly, pull it back and then fall away to last place.

FCUTA!

• Gaol 20 Jun 2010 17:31:58 2,262 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The demo of this is superb. If they release the download at a reasonable price I reckon I'd bite.
  • Pirotic Moderator 20 Jun 2010 18:32:39 20,646 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for the bump ;)

I got the full game in the end, and it's pretty good. Definitely worth a punt if you miss the old 'smash tennis' style SNES games. The story mode is pretty bland, a very thin vale covering what is essentially repeating the same match over and over again. The CPU never differs between characters, and to be honest it's hard to even tell the difference between difficulty settings.. so it's a bit of a slog, only somewhat helped by the carrot of new outfits and characters dangling in-front of you the whole time.

If however you are not going to be limited to just playing the CPU, I'd recommend it. If it's for Solo play only, you are going to get bored pretty quickly.
  • X201 25 Jun 2010 20:58:28 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have played the demo to death, can't wait for the full version
  • BBIAJ 25 Jun 2010 22:12:26 895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's okay, but takes some getting used to.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2010 22:24:23
    I want one on PS3, please, Sony :_(
  • HiddenAway 30 Jun 2010 14:13:13 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    16.99 on PSN. Out today!

• LockeTribal 30 Jun 2010 14:27:10 4,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    26.99 is a bit of a rip off though isn't it? That's an exchange rate of 1 = 0.62! Should be 20.99 at most.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous