Gears of War 3 Page 6

• Page

of 259 First / Last

• Vortex808 18 Apr 2011 11:44:17 7,463 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bah. I tried checking before heading to work, now I'll have to battle against everyone else trying to download it tonight once America's online too. I hope the Live servers are up to it.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2011 11:45:30
    When is the beta available for the peasants?
  • Deleted user 18 April 2011 11:49:04
    25th I believe.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2011 11:51:42
    Bank holiday as well!

\o/
  • dunts 18 Apr 2011 11:56:12 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, here we go...

I'll post a few impressions after a couple of games.
  • dunts 18 Apr 2011 13:06:20 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Sawed-off Shotgun is hilarious, it's one shot and takes ages to reload but rather powerful. It's pretty useless if you miss, you're left to melee and/or run.

Checkout is a cool map, indoor, rundown supermaket style. It's smaller than Trashball which is an outdoor arena with little side paths.

The first match I played on Checkout was crazy, everyone running in close with the Gnasher and Sawed-off. You can change your loadout during every deathscreen or as the match starts. There's a retro Lancer which fires erratically and has a huge spike for stabby stabby like the normal Lancer's chainsaw. The Hammerburst is also there.

Each round of TDM gives each team a life allocation of 15 and once that is broken, it becomes sudden death and like a round of Warzone. You can press LB to show you where your team is and where the weapons are located on the map. There's also an overhead map which can be seen by pressing B after pushing the back button to get the scores up.

I had the Digger on Thrashball for about 3 seconds and killed somone before being stabbed in the back by the retro Lancer, lols.

• dunts 18 Apr 2011 13:12:26 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is more of a levelling up feel to this as well. You are always unlocking things or on the way to unlocking things. There are ribbon challenges for every match ala Halo and Medals to win by doing certain things.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2011 13:14:38
    Sounds great fun, hopefully the pace slows down after the first few weeks after release and its not manic all the time.
  • Vortex808 18 Apr 2011 14:06:56 7,463 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm really looking forward to trying this tonight.

How's the hammerburst now? I quite liked that, it kicked a bit, but was pretty handy at certain times. Looking forward to the retro lancer and saw-off too.

It'll take time to get the shotty timing right again no doubt, but it'll hopefully be easier to time it with servers as you won't have to factor the lag so much!
  • dunts 18 Apr 2011 14:16:06 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haha!

I was shooting round the corner at 2 guys, tagged the wall with smoke because I thought they were about rush me. One of them threw smoke, along with a team mate and they both rushed in.

It was really smokey but all I saw was the guy in my team being hoisted in the air by the retro spike, through the smoke it looked fucking awesome! I ran out and blasted him as he was helpless, hehe. Only to turn around to see 2 of my team mates and see the Digger rattling through the ground and triple kill us. Funny!
  • dunts 18 Apr 2011 14:45:15 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to trying this tonight.

How's the hammerburst now? I quite liked that, it kicked a bit, but was pretty handy at certain times. Looking forward to the retro lancer and saw-off too.

It'll take time to get the shotty timing right again no doubt, but it'll hopefully be easier to time it with servers as you won't have to factor the lag so much!

The hammerburst is cool, if you press the right stick after pressing the left trigger, you can aim down the sights.

The Gnasher/Shotgun is great, in every match so far it has been seemingly perfect to use.

Lol, I picked up the Longshot/sniper near the end of the last game and managed to headshot the last player who was holding a meatshield, sweet!

If you get downed, you can revive yourself by stopping moving and repeatedly pressing A but it's quicker to be revived by somone else.
  • dunts 18 Apr 2011 14:52:16 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lol, one of the ribbons...

Hail Mary - Boomshot kill from over 200 feet.
  • altitude2k 18 Apr 2011 15:33:44 4,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dunts wrote:
    If you get downed, you can revive yourself by stopping moving and repeatedly pressing A but it's quicker to be revived by somone else.

That's good. Nothing more irritating (and unnecessary) than being the last person alive on your team just waiting to bleed out.
  • Vortex808 18 Apr 2011 15:38:52 7,463 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dunts wrote:

Did Gears 2 not let you do that? I can't remember.

I remember numerous hilarious button mashing finales in warzone on the original gears to see which of the last two surviving, but downed opponents would survive to win the round and even better on a tied score, to win the game.

Lots of banter and encouragement over the mic's then!
  • Mayhem64 18 Apr 2011 16:15:31 685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, Gears 2 let you move about faster by mashing A on the ground, but it was only the original you could get up quicker by mashing it. If you are downed in Warzone on Gears 2, there's no getting up unless you get a team mate. Interesting to see they've brought this mechanic back.

As for that Hail Mary boomshot ribbon, I'll be disappointed if I don't earn it, I've got a way with that gun heh...

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• SergeantMajorFury 18 Apr 2011 16:42:46 336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    dunts wrote:

Did Gears 2 not let you do that? I can't remember.

I remember numerous hilarious button mashing finales in warzone on the original gears to see which of the last two surviving, but downed opponents would survive to win the round and even better on a tied score, to win the game.

Lots of banter and encouragement over the mic's then!

Gears 2 did let you do that, in Execution. TDM is just a mixture of Warzone and Execution rules (i.e being able to kill someone from a distance, but still being able to revive yourself too).

You still move about faster by mashing A, but if you decide to stay still while doing so, you'll get up faster.

Is there a sock gamertag for the beta, btw?
  • dunts 18 Apr 2011 16:45:40 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a new game mode though, Team Death Match. I'm not sure what the rules will be like in other game modes.

You can spot people too, like Battlefield. It shows an icon over them to highlight where they are.

There's a falling scoreboard in Thrashball, which can be shot down and covers the Digger/Torque bow (depending on round) in the centre. It crushed someone earlier lol.
  • Matt_THFC 18 Apr 2011 19:30:55 318 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dunts wrote:
    It's a new game mode though, Team Death Match. I'm not sure what the rules will be like in other game modes.

You can spot people too, like Battlefield. It shows an icon over them to highlight where they are.

There's a falling scoreboard in Thrashball, which can be shot down and covers the Digger/Torque bow (depending on round) in the centre. It crushed someone earlier lol.

I'm not gonna say who that someone was.......
  • Vortex808 18 Apr 2011 22:10:16 7,463 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Boy, tnere's nothing like a bit of gears to get me shouting and swearing at the telly! Not played any gears in a year or so, it took a while to find the groove again.

Lots of fun though, even if it is just two maps so far.

How do you spot? I've been aiming using LT then mashing L3 by clicking the stick, but it seems inconsistent. Perhaps my 'aim' has been a bit off.
  • ronuds 18 Apr 2011 22:41:10 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dunts wrote:
    You can press LB to show you where your team is and where the weapons are located on the map. There's also an overhead map which can be seen by pressing B after pushing the back button to get the scores up.

These options sound great! Can't remember a game that let you see the map whilst playing. It'll help when first getting into it.
  • Trafford 18 Apr 2011 23:14:45 5,929 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's great. I'm shit, but it's great.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Apr 2011 23:20:42 24,067 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm shit too. I'm so far behind the curve, having only played Gow2 for about five minutes, that it's kind of putting me off having a proper go.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• gooner77 19 Apr 2011 12:29:06 864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm doing OK and I really like this so far. I played 25 matches yesterday and only encountered 1 laggy round

In case it hasn't been posted here's the beta schedule

Here is what's in store for the beta testers:

* Monday, April 18th through Sunday, April 24th - Team Deathmatch on Thrashball and Checkout only

* Monday, April 25th through Sunday, May 1st - Team Deathmatch on Thrashball, Checkout, and Trenches only

* Monday, May 2nd through Sunday, May 8th - Team Deathmatch and King of the Hill on all four beta maps

* Monday, May 9th through Sunday, May 15th - Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, and Capture the Leader on all four4 beta maps

Thanks goodness as I'm already quite bored with the 2 maps
  • stuntmaster 19 Apr 2011 14:59:20 45 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i don`t know how but have been able to play all 4 maps ie oldtown and trenches . both those two are better than the other two and trenches has a great gun that like a cross between a sniper and hammer of dawn as blow`s people to bits .
  • AliRay 19 Apr 2011 15:29:54 181 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apologies for re-posting this (from the Gears 3 interview on the front page) but:

Was hoping to get a bit of multi going on Gears 1 (I always struggled to get a game on Gears 2), does anyone know if there are still people playing online?

I also don't have access to the Gears 3 beta, as I'd obviously be playing that instead!
  • dunts 19 Apr 2011 15:40:42 4,213 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    stuntmaster wrote:
    i don`t know how but have been able to play all 4 maps ie oldtown and trenches . both those two are better than the other two and trenches has a great gun that like a cross between a sniper and hammer of dawn as blow`s people to bits .

Yeah, some people have just been put into those matches. All modes and maps that will be in the beta are there, just restricted.

And that gun you mention, it's the Oneshot.
  • Vortex808 19 Apr 2011 17:02:18 7,463 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stupid question time - How do you pick up a victim to use as a meat shield again? Is it A?
    X goes to kerb stomp, Y is execution, b melees them so I assume it must be A.
  • SergeantMajorFury 19 Apr 2011 17:14:37 336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tap X to pick up a meat shield now. Tap Y for curb stop, hold it down for longer executions. With a smoke grenade/snub pistol equipped, you can do the punching/arm rip execution for around 20 seconds, if you keep mashing Y.

Edit: Also, when you have a meatshield, press up on the d-pad ;)
  • Wilky 19 Apr 2011 18:14:28 100 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daft question I know but does anyone have a spare beta code for early access? I got one on twitter yesterday but my mate is desperate for one!! If anyone can give me a code I'm really appreciate it!!
  • Vortex808 19 Apr 2011 18:29:11 7,463 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SergeantMajorFury wrote:

Edit: Also, when you have a meatshield, press up on the d-pad ;)

Is that the neck snap, or something else altogether? I'll try it towards the weekend when i can get some more time on this!
  • Page

of 259 First / Last