The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 31

  • Page

    of 61 First / Last

  • sport 7 Sep 2012 14:30:38 13,048 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When phoning, make sure you tell them that you'd like to keep the TV AND the money.
  • spamdangled 7 Sep 2012 14:36:54 27,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is there some sort of thing similar to the telephone preference service for door-to-door salespeople/charity chuggers and junk mail? It seems to be breeding season for door salesmen right now - we're getting at least 2 a day. Last night one came knocking at 11pm, which is just stupid.

    Edited by darkmorgado at 14:37:52 07-09-2012
  • Rusty_M 7 Sep 2012 14:48:59 5,383 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty sure 11pm breaches regulations. There is a Mailing Preference Service to get rid of unsolicited junk mail but I don't know about door to door
  • 1Dgaf 7 Sep 2012 14:50:49 4,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe this is paranoid, but how do you know it was door-to-door? Might it have been someone scouting the place? If that happens again, maybe call the cops on the non-emergency number.
  • billythekid 7 Sep 2012 14:50:50 11,713 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We've got a sticker on the front door saying we do not buy or sell at this door and require no free advice.

    The cunts still ignore it and stand there looking slightly bemused when I'm rather curt with them.
  • 1Dgaf 7 Sep 2012 14:52:56 4,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't recall Amazon trying to screw me out of money. Once, because I said they'd refunded too much postage, they said I could keep the extra money.

    Just because it's a big company doesn't mean you can skank them.
  • spamdangled 7 Sep 2012 14:58:08 27,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Maybe this is paranoid, but how do you know it was door-to-door? Might it have been someone scouting the place? If that happens again, maybe call the cops on the non-emergency number.
    They had a bright red t-shirt with the charity name on it (it was a well known one) and a clipboard, etc. I think he was legit; straight after I told him to piss off (more politely than that), he immediately went and knocked on our neighbour's door. Who wasn't quite so polite!
  • spamdangled 7 Sep 2012 14:58:56 27,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Nobody knocked at your door at 11pm did they Dark.
    Why on earth would I make that up?
  • sport 7 Sep 2012 15:01:00 13,048 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Nobody knocked at your door at 11pm did they Dark.
    Why on earth would I make that up?
    He didn't say you didn't believe that someone knocked on your door, just that no one actually did.
  • RyanDS 7 Sep 2012 15:02:08 10,619 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I don't recall Amazon trying to screw me out of money. Once, because I said they'd refunded too much postage, they said I could keep the extra money.

    Just because it's a big company doesn't mean you can skank them.
    This. Amazon (and Waterstones) are the only company where they have consistantly provided such good service that I would be honest with them. eg Bought loads of box sets ages ago, 6 months later finally got to a disc that skipped slightly. Just sent an email with some feedback about the disc and the next day an entire new box set appeared on my doorstep with a polite request to send the old one back when I got a chance.
  • spamdangled 7 Sep 2012 15:16:17 27,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    This. Amazon (and Waterstones) are the only company where they have consistantly provided such good service that I would be honest with them. eg Bought loads of box sets ages ago, 6 months later finally got to a disc that skipped slightly. Just sent an email with some feedback about the disc and the next day an entire new box set appeared on my doorstep with a polite request to send the old one back when I got a chance.
    Shopto are another one. Only had one problem with them in over 3 years of using them on a very regular basis, and they managed to resolve that one pretty quickly.
  • lordofdeadside 7 Sep 2012 15:21:33 1,209 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I don't recall Amazon trying to screw me out of money. Once, because I said they'd refunded too much postage, they said I could keep the extra money.

    Just because it's a big company doesn't mean you can skank them.
    This. Amazon (and Waterstones) are the only company where they have consistantly provided such good service that I would be honest with them. eg Bought loads of box sets ages ago, 6 months later finally got to a disc that skipped slightly. Just sent an email with some feedback about the disc and the next day an entire new box set appeared on my doorstep with a polite request to send the old one back when I got a chance.
    Yeh, I'd much rather be honest and pay, but the thought of keeping quiet has crossed my mind!

    Amazon's customer service since they cocked up my order has been really good, checking everyday to see if it had arrived and no quibble about a full refund after a few days.
  • lordofdeadside 9 Sep 2012 14:47:27 1,209 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rang up and paid, complained a bit and they gave me 15% off, so ended with a bargain and on the right side of the law!
  • DFawkes 9 Sep 2012 15:23:08 25,844 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good stuff, everybody wins :)
  • mal 10 Sep 2012 02:41:49 23,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Topical random question: why do Nytol taste so fucking awful, especially when they come back up because you failed to swallow them in one go because you don't always have a glass of water by your bed. Bleugggg.....zzz.
  • Afiddes 10 Sep 2012 07:00:54 1,164 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bloggers answer (cos I don't actually know but like to guess) to stop people talking it when the font need to? We all know there is no medical reason because if they make calpol taste delicious why not with other medicines
  • caligari 10 Sep 2012 12:59:38 17,234 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm trying to determine the age of a BMX that I purchased on eBay a few weeks ago.

    On the frame is a sticker - with the details of a bike shop that seems to no longer exist.

    The phone number on this sticker is 0502 519999 (which is not recognised).

    When did the area codes get an extra digit in the UK? Late 80s?

    Edited by caligari at 13:02:39 10-09-2012
  • sport 10 Sep 2012 13:02:16 13,048 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    caligari's BMX
  • BryanAKADJ 20 Sep 2012 02:09:57 284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is there any difference in speed for internet if your plugged in to the router or using wireless?
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 02:11:51
    Depending on the max speed of your internet connection, yes there is.
  • BryanAKADJ 20 Sep 2012 02:24:05 284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks, we have pretty crap internet where I live, I have to set up the wire socket or something though, need some sort of software or something along those lines, I found out how to do it but it seems like a pain to do.
  • RobTheBuilder 20 Sep 2012 10:12:00 6,521 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @caligari Well 01502 is Lowestoft area.

    The one was added in 1995.
  • BryanAKADJ 25 Sep 2012 14:07:13 284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is it bad at all to keep my 3DS XL plugged in and charging while playing at the same time? I've heard keeping stuff like that plugged in while using them at the same time does something to the battery or something along those lines.
  • mal 25 Sep 2012 15:46:35 23,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not great for laptops because the heat of the CPU+graphics card+battery itself can cook the battery in fairly short order. The 3DS doesn't generate a lot of heat, and its battery is much smaller so you've less to worry about there.

    You do have a problem if you don't let the battery ever discharge through its full range. The best way to preserve battery life is to not use it, charge it about half-way, then freeze it. The next best way is to use it until it runs out, then charge it, use it, charge it, use it. Of course, with something like the 3DS that lasts a day and an awkward fraction of a second day, depending on how much you've used it, doing that's difficult. But still, I try to only charge mine every other day. I've no compunction against using it while it's charging in that scenario though.
  • BryanAKADJ 26 Sep 2012 01:56:36 284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mal Thanks!
    I've been basically slowly murdering my laptop for the past year then :S
  • Page

    of 61 First / Last

Log in or register to reply