The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 45

• Page

of 55 First / Last

• Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 11:19:47 3,920 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    No no no, that's wrong!
    You tune the boiler to the maximum heat you want to reach and then fine-tune with the radiators!
    Own up! Which gas company do you work for? :D
    Damnit man, my method saves gas! Won't anyone think of the damn iceberg?!
    Are there any icebergs left?

I just turn on radiators in rooms I am using, and adjust the thermostat to take the chill out of the room.

Oh and for the record Grax, you're being frugal. ;)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Mr_Sleep 5 Nov 2013 11:25:42 16,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    I go for the don't turn on the radiators at all bit (though my missus disagrees and thinks I'm being tight)
    I once had a plumber tell me this is bad for the system, assuming you're using a combi-boiler, you should always have all the taps open to some degree as the water wont flow correctly through the system otherwise.

You are a factory of sadness.

• DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 11:30:01 22,619 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @DFawkes:
    No!
    By melting the ice caps the sealevel rises and the journey would have taken the Titanic longer and everyone would have starved to death before reaching their destination!
    That's a good point, well made. However, I'm not so sure icebergs melting actually contributes significantly to sea levels increase. Even if it did, they could just kill and eat Billy Zane.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Grax 5 Nov 2013 11:32:20 1,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Mr_Sleep yeah. sorry that's me being a tool, the rads are on, i have just turned it off by the boiler so it isn't heating them at all
  • AcidSnake 5 Nov 2013 11:42:12 7,224 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @DFawkes:
    No!
    By melting the ice caps the sealevel rises and the journey would have taken the Titanic longer and everyone would have starved to death before reaching their destination!
    That's a good point, well made. However, I'm not so sure icebergs melting actually contributes significantly to sea levels increase. Even if it did, they could just kill and eat Billy Zane.
    I suppose that depends if you consider the North Pole to be an iceberg or not...
    Or they could dump Jack overboard at the very start and lighten their load...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 11:53:54 22,619 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree. So there's your answer. If you're wondering if you should be adjusting your heating by boiler or by individual radiators, you should instead kill fictional character Jack Dawson.

This is why EG is great, you really get a well discussed answer that takes in all angles.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:54:31 05-11-2013

• Nexus_6 5 Nov 2013 12:00:14 3,876 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am now wondering why the boiler installer I got in hasn't included any polar bears or icebergs, or indeed Billy Zane with my heaters.

Cowboys.
  • Chopsen 5 Nov 2013 14:31:50 15,749 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So if you had a streaming licence for a movie file, but needed where to host it so that you could restrict access to it (as per the terms of the licence) where would could you put it?
  • DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 14:47:39 22,619 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can make YouTube videos private, if that's any use? I know they'd need a Google account so you could add them to the authorised viewers list, but I'm super lazy so that's what I'd do :p Almost certainly not the best option, but it's a start. Make it your Plan Z, after all else fails.

Edited by DFawkes at 14:48:54 05-11-2013

• askew 5 Nov 2013 14:57:52 12,060 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    So if you had a streaming licence for a movie file, but needed where to host it so that you could restrict access to it (as per the terms of the licence) where would could you put it?
    On Dropbox?
  • Grax 5 Nov 2013 15:03:20 1,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    set up your own website??
  • Chopsen 5 Nov 2013 15:38:26 15,749 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    set up your own website??
    I'm trying to do this at zero cost and no effort ;)
  • LeoliansBro 5 Nov 2013 15:42:33 43,318 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @DFawkes:
    No!
    Icebergs are a) generally almost entirely submerged, and b) made of ice. Ice is less dense than water and so takes up more space. If a given iceberg melts, most likely sea levels would decrease.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• AcidSnake 5 Nov 2013 15:52:30 7,224 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @DFawkes:
    No!
    Icebergs are a) generally almost entirely submerged, and b) made of ice. Ice is less dense than water and so takes up more space. If a given iceberg melts, most likely sea levels would decrease.
    I mentioned the ice caps though...Even then, if you were to melt all the icebergs and not the caps the Titanic would simply run aground because the oceans would dry up...

So boiler all the way...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• TheBlackDog 7 Nov 2013 14:11:01 376 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Finally bought an SSD (250 Gb) and got a 2 Tb HDD to go with it, rationale being to start to archive all my photos and music in one place, and to start a proper back-up regime. I don't hoard video or film so I reckon I'll have enough space for the next couple of years. I would appreciate some ideas about how to use the 4 drives that I'll have.

I've read up on how to install the SSD (I'm going to reinstall W7 to have a clean start), set it to ACHI and all that malarkey. I'm planning to install the OS and all programs, including Steam, on the SSD, plus I'll use Steam Mover to move games I'm playing to the SSD, and the rest will be on another drive.

So, I'll have:

empty 250 Gb SSD,
    500 Gb int HDD which currently has OS, programs and data on it,
    500 Gb ext HDD that is being used for my half arsed attempt at backing up data and programs
    empty 2 Tb int HDD

How would I be best using these 4 drives to store

excess Steam games not on the SSD
    photos, music, and other data
    making back-ups

and what partitions would be recommended ?
  • Deleted user 7 November 2013 14:59:00
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @DFawkes:
    No!
    That's true (sort of, they wouldn't decrease the water level at all, as they're displacing their own weight, not volume, if they're floating), but if a given iceberg melts because of an increase in average temperatures, thermal expansion of the water will expand it further, especially as water is a better absorber of infrared than ice is so will heat up quicker anyway due to the now larger surface area.

• grey_matters 7 Nov 2013 15:08:43 3,678 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @DFawkes:
    No!
    That's true (sort of, they wouldn't decrease the water level at all, as they're displacing their own weight, not volume, if they're floating), but if a given iceberg melts because of an increase in average temperatures, thermal expansion of the water will expand it further, especially as water is a better absorber of infrared than ice is so will heat up quicker anyway due to the now larger surface area.

Yep. But the expansion happens after 4 degrees Celcius which is the temperature that water is most dense at.

I've given up on how that might pertain to boilers.

Edit: that is if the Titanic is sailing on freshwater. Ice in saltwater makes things a bit more complicated (salt content in the ice/water etc)

Edited by grey_matters at 15:11:47 07-11-2013
  • DrStrangelove 7 Nov 2013 20:13:07 3,393 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The actual problem isn't ice bergs floating in water. It's the ice on top of land, which will raise sea levels when melting. Also the ice on mountains.

The rise of sea levels and hence the atmosphere will make higher mountainous regions more habitable though. You can't have a disaster without benefits.
  • Matt36 16 Nov 2013 16:06:05 1,313 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Going over a list of Disney films in the "Classic" collection and I can't see "Brave"??

Why is it not classed as a classic?? The Ginger lass is the 11th Disney Princess after all.

EDIT: Its a Pixar film. Didn't realise. Its on a list of Pixar films as I searched them.

Edited by Matt36 at 16:11:53 16-11-2013
  • Psychotext 28 Nov 2013 16:08:01 53,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a network switch which ran perfectly for about 5 years then died. I just bought another from Amazon, connected it up and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Seems it's like the other one (no special ports or cables required)... so is there anything I could be doing wrong?

I'm guessing I just have shit luck and I've ended up with something faulty out of the box.
  • billythekid 28 Nov 2013 16:18:28 11,035 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You didn't use the old psu on the new switch did you?
  • Psychotext 28 Nov 2013 16:19:41 53,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No. I'm going to try turning it all on in stages to see if that works.
  • Psychotext 28 Nov 2013 16:28:48 53,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems to have done the trick. Odd.
  • Rusty_M 30 Nov 2013 12:13:34 4,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm thinking of trying to host open mic nights in local pubs. Does anyone know what I should be looking for in PA systems if I'm looking to get one?

I know the Bose L1 or L2 would be amazing, but I'm not sure I have the budget for those. In fact budget is a currently unknown quantity.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Mr_Sleep 30 Nov 2013 12:42:30 16,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How large do you think the open mic bands are going to go to? How many microphones are you realistically going to use? How big is the venue? How large a power source do you have?

So, regarding you mentioning the Bose speakers I am to assume the PA that you are asking about relates more to the speakers than the mixer and the mics and so forth?

Really the crucial thing is how big the venue is in relation to how much oomph you'll actually need. No point in having a massive PA if you're doing it in a small room.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:43:25 30-11-2013

• Rusty_M 30 Nov 2013 14:04:38 4,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I'm currently researching the whole lot really. I can't imagine needing more than two mics and a further two instrument inputs. The room size is something I'm not sure of.

I've really not done much research yet, and am just trying to figure out where to start.

I know the minimum I'd need is a mixer and speakers. I don't think I'd want something massive, but there's little worse than hearing speakers pushed beyond their limits.

• Mr_Sleep 30 Nov 2013 14:52:17 16,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd say you'd need more than two. If you have two guitarists, both singing then you'd need four. Add more instruments like a cajon or bongos or some such then that's more inputs.

Personally I'd say you'd need a mixing desk with around 8 inputs because anything smaller will save little but be less versatile and I doubt you'll need too powerful a set of speakers. Although the power of a PA really needs to be based on the size of a room and the amount of punters. Personally I'd probably find out this information and go from there.

• Rusty_M 30 Nov 2013 15:12:19 4,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah. Thanks for that. I haven't actually spoken to any bars yet, but wanted to be able to equip myself to do something in a small to medium pub before talking to them.

• magicpanda 5 Dec 2013 14:21:16 13,274 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just received a speeding ticket.

Take the speeding course or the points? Does it make a difference to insurance?
  • BeardedGamerUK 5 Dec 2013 14:25:18 1,304 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Ooh it's like something from a Bioware game :D
  • Page

of 55 First / Last