The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 42

• Page

of 59 First / Last

• wogsy81 23 Jul 2013 13:59:51 759 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Im just sat here thinking to myself.

Is Half Life 3 actually in development?
    Do you think it will ever be released?
    Surely Valve wont let a franchise like Half Life die will they?
    And what will the tagline be on EG if and when HL3 is announced? Surely it wont be "Half Life 3 confirmed" will it? Or maybe it will.
    Shirly no game has ever been anticipated as much as Half Life 3?

(yeah, im sorry for mentioning HL3 as im sure most of you guys are sick of hearing about it but these are questions ive been musing all morning for some strange reason)
  • mikeck 23 Jul 2013 14:54:47 1,936 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lordofdeadside wrote:
    If I sell my ps3, what do I need to do in terms of psn account? I'd imagine deleting the account from the console, but do I need to de-register it or anything?

Are the games I purchased available for the next person, or are they tied to the account?
    Delete the account from the console absolutely. Other than that, you don't need to do anything. The games you purchased are linked to your account, not the PS3, so once you delete all games and your details off the system you'll be able to recover them further down the line.
  • Psychotext 1 Aug 2013 23:37:10 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having searched for months to find a solution to a problem I have I've realised that no product exists, and the only way around it would be a custom job costing thousands...

...so, I've decided to go back to some of my electronic hobbyist roots and build my own solution. Question is this, are there any good sites covering programmable logic boards / electronic projects in general? It's been about 20 years since I did anything in the arena and the internet wasn't a thing back then!

I know instructables, but that's a bit too specific project based for my needs.
  • oconnomiyaki 2 Aug 2013 05:24:11 245 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How do others deal with multiple games in similar genres? I'm thinking more fighting, racing, and FPS rather than RPGs and adventure games. I'm starting to realise that I just can't justify having multiple entries to a genre. I like fighting games, a lot. But with Virtua Fighter 5, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Injustice, Dead or Alive 5, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter IV... I mean, these are the sort of games I chip away at in between meatier experiences, so I can't really dedicate any kind of time to them. A single racing game and fighting game could theoretically last me years before I considered them exhausted and boring. I buy new additions because "shiny", and I seem to stop myself trading them in because of the whole "What if?" scenario... but...

So what do you guys do? Do you ever revisit the older titles? Or do you just shelve them and move on? I'm pretty weird about having clutter I'll never use, which is why I think I tell myself I might in the future. :(
  • DodgyPast 2 Aug 2013 07:52:44 8,538 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With racing games I play until I've had enough of them then move onto another... Though I do go back to GT 4 for a few days every now and then.

I try to have a version of Street Fighter available as that's the game most people will be able to play if friends are over. Then maybe 1 more that I'll chip away at.
  • danathjo 4 Aug 2013 10:06:37 7,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In the mood for a novelty t-shirt and have a amazon voucher burning my pocket
    Should I get this

Edited by danathjo at 10:06:52 04-08-2013
  • Matt36 6 Aug 2013 18:37:58 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've a Western Digital 1TB (931GB free - NTFS format)that I want to format to FAT32 so it works with my XBOX 360 again (I did it once, then it broke and don't remember how I did it).

Any suggestions?

Oh, I'm using Windows 8, if that matters.
  • monkehhh 6 Aug 2013 19:00:36 3,513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Matt36 http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm
  • Matt36 6 Aug 2013 19:29:54 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @monkehhh No luck unfortunately. I get right up to the point of saying yes format and I get this;

Failed to get partion info
    GetLastError <>=1: Incorrect function

I tried the simpler formatter, which they suggest on the site but it doesn't detect a drive letter (C:, E: F: etc)

:(
  • skuzzbag 6 Aug 2013 19:43:18 5,732 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you created a partition?
  • chopsen 6 Aug 2013 19:57:36 16,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

Easier to use than it looks. Just make sure you're working on the correct HD (it will call drives different names than Windows will)
  • Matt36 9 Aug 2013 15:15:01 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It says FAT32 now. And I can find it on my 360, played music from it etc.

But when I transfer a movie film for example, say a 750mb .avi file it takes 3 hours to transfer from laptop to HDD.

It never did this before?
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 10:14:08 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone know where isopropyl alcohol (or equivalent) can be bought in decent quantities? I use it for cleaning various things and I can only seem to find it in very small (expensive) bottles.

I've seen a few placed online, but they either seem to be dubious Chinese sellers or targeted at industrial bulk quantities.
  • DFawkes 13 Aug 2013 10:23:17 24,050 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nowhere I could vouch for, and I have no idea how much it should cost. There's reasonable reviews. For all I know they're all reviews by shills and the site is a front for a super-villain.

Sorry I can't be of more use. I do hope you find what you're looking for :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 10:50:23 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "PLEASE NOTE: This product is not for human or animal consumption. "

Well what fucking good is it then?
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 11:04:24 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    (Also, thanks)
  • billythekid 13 Aug 2013 11:23:22 11,397 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    5 litres for 19.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ISOPROPANOL-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Courier-Shipping/dp/B003D8QFRI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1376389296&sr=8-7&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 11:30:22 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's pretty good. Last time I checked Amazon the biggest you could get was 1l.
  • Matt36 18 Aug 2013 18:04:43 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc Yes, they're also good for your blood.
  • henro_ben 19 Aug 2013 10:40:15 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone know how I can straighten an aluminium panel?

Redoing my kitchen and have bought a 1948 sink unit, but it's got a slight bow in the front below the basin - presumably from years of people pressing against it when doing the washing up.

Think I can just unbolt the front panel, so was thinking of just gently pressing it from the back but don't want mess it up and put a big ol' crease in it!

Any suggestions?
  • billythekid 19 Aug 2013 11:10:55 11,397 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hammer. A nice big one.
  • billythekid 19 Aug 2013 11:18:11 11,397 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably better off just getting a new flat piece to be honest. To flatten it without marking it you'd need a hydraulic press I reckon.
    You could try heating it up but with aluminium you could easily end up with a nice puddle.
  • henro_ben 19 Aug 2013 13:17:41 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's not comforting to hear :-(

Don't really want to get a new piece if possible - it's made out of bits of old Spitfires! Think I'll try some gentle pressure first and see what happens, it's only a bow of 3 or 4 mm so not massive...
  • billythekid 19 Aug 2013 13:23:41 11,397 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's made out of Spitfires I can understand why you want to keep it.
    I'm not sure what to suggest then, maybe put it on a nice flat driveway and roll your car over it? It might work!!
  • henro_ben 19 Aug 2013 13:29:27 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, it's made of the spare stuff they had left over after the war, rather than from a wing they pinched or something. But still worth keeping, has a little metal badge inside saying it's made by Constant Speed Airscrew Industries - they made the nose cones on the Spit.

Will have a look at it tonight and see if I can unbolt the front panel before deciding to do anything drastic!
  • spamdangled 20 Aug 2013 01:57:19 27,444 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, here's a random question (probably one for the architects and graphic designers out there?):

I'm looking for large, thin (so not card or thick) sheets of graph paper. By large, I mean A1 or A0 size and not with a grid scaled to the size of the sheet (by which I mean, not the same amount of squares as an A4 sheet simply blown up, but with far more squares of the same size). Needs to be thin enough so I can underlay another sheet and trace the image without too much difficulty (like 2 overlaid sheets of A4 in good lighting, but not necessarily quite that thin and fragile), but durable enough to withstand multiple erases and revisions. Preferably looking for stack purchases, say 10 or 20 sheets rather than individual sheets, but all suggestions welcome.

Ideally looking for the sort made up with larger squares divided into 5x5 grids.
    Goes without saying, but I don't want to import stuff or get it made-to-order. And I'd like a reasonable turnaround period (same-week delivery).

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:18:41 20-08-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 20 August 2013 02:06:57
    Psychotext wrote:
    Anyone know where isopropyl alcohol (or equivalent) can be bought in decent quantities?
  • Psychotext 20 Aug 2013 02:18:44 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psh, I'm far less CG looking than that. :D

:cool:
  • sirtacos 28 Aug 2013 03:11:07 7,378 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is is "anthropomorphic" or "anthropomorphological"? Are they both ok?

According to EG's autocorrect, only the former exists... but the latter - according to several internet sources - is also acceptable (albeit with a more theological connotation - that is, giving God human attributes, as the Old Testament does).
  • ED209 28 Aug 2013 08:26:19 505 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The piano T-shirt.

Samantha Janus?

• Page

of 59 First / Last