The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 39

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• mal 29 Jun 2013 10:16:32 21,979 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If we spent as much money as we spend mapping the genome on working out how to make Coca cola then I dare say we could, but it's just not worth the effort, and you'd probably find the process is pretty grim anyway.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• DrStrangelove 1 Jul 2013 05:20:10 2,566 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why do people always have to mess up good photos by cranking up saturation and contrast in photoshop until it looks synthetical?
  • graysonavich 10 Jul 2013 12:04:59 6,805 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    [u]HOT TOPIC[/u]

Fans; to oscillate or not.

I'm always in the mindset that a stationary fan becomes useless after a certain time.

See also: Fans by an open door. Are they blowing the hot air in or circulating fresher air?!
  • kalel 10 Jul 2013 12:06:38 83,877 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What you really want is one of those convection fans that you put by a window/door, that gets rid of hot air and puts in cold. Kind of like a second rate air-conditioner.

Edited by kalel at 12:07:02 10-07-2013
  • Rusty_M 10 Jul 2013 12:11:49 4,352 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All I know is not to fall asleep if there is a fan on in the room.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• imamazed 10 Jul 2013 12:15:13 5,455 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True story - once on holiday I threw up in the path of a fan, which, in turn, blew some of the sick out of a window and onto a communal balcony.
  • mal 10 Jul 2013 20:06:45 21,979 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Very random question - does the US east coast become the west coast if you're afloat in the pacific? I mean, the coasts are as much a part of the sea as they are land, but the east coast is very much a thing. Is it still the east coast when you're east of it?

• Deleted user 10 July 2013 20:27:57
    The clue is in the name "East Coast of the United States".
  • mal 10 Jul 2013 20:33:04 21,979 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well yeah, it does look a bit duh now I've actually written it down. Fuck it anyway, I guess it's pretty academic. Fishermen and those adrift on broken lifeboats don't care which coast it is - fishermen know it's *the* coast and iceberg survivors know it's *a* coast, that being the salient fact. And commercial boat operators all probably work in degrees latitude and longitude rather than ever having to tell anyone where they are in relation to a specified coast.

• Bremenacht 10 Jul 2013 20:51:44 15,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it still the East Coast of the United States if you are a whale?

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Bremenacht 10 Jul 2013 20:52:01 15,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    An upside-down whale.

• Chopsen 10 Jul 2013 20:59:08 15,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The east coast *OF* the United States.

Not The east /west coast of the altantic/pacific ocean.

Coasts are defined as the boundary of a landmass, not an ocean. no?
  • Mageme 11 Jul 2013 13:34:37 1,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm so tired, I'm ready to fall asleep at my desk. Does anyone have any tips to stay awake?

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Deleted user 11 July 2013 13:37:57
    Stick a pencil sharpener up your bum.
  • DFawkes 11 Jul 2013 13:43:02 22,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm assuming the office standard of coffee is out of the question, or has already been tried, so just have a nap. If anyone wakes you, stand up and shout "Damn! I has almost achieved complete enlightenment and managed to transcend this mortal form into a being of pure energy, but I guess it wasn't on your timetable!", then storm off to the toilets in a huff.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• DaM 11 Jul 2013 13:46:34 12,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I often have a nap. If you position yourself correctly, it looks like you are just studying your screen intently. A powernap of a few minutes totally refreshes me.

If I get caught it ends up on Facebook.....
  • DFawkes 11 Jul 2013 14:24:50 22,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get your cock out, then have a nap. People will generally have their attention draw to your cock rather than the nap, so if you do get in trouble it'll be for exposing yourself rather than napping.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 11 July 2013 15:53:59
    DaM wrote:
    I often have a nap. If you position yourself correctly, it looks like you are just studying your screen intently. A powernap of a few minutes totally refreshes me.

If I get caught it ends up on Facebook.....
    You're the boss though!
  • wobbly_Bob 12 Jul 2013 15:30:15 1,436 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There is a guy that lives around here that is a massive knob. There is a school/nursery ( where my other half works, incidentally ) which is directly across from where his house is. Parents park in front of his drive way which I am sure is irritating but the guy is a massive cock about it. He frequently goes over to complain with full screaming hissy fits calling people cunts. He also puts out several traffic cones into the road. On the way home from work today I saw somebody have to actually shift some back to get the vehicle past.

My question is this: Is the cone thing legal? Surely it's not? Surely that's public road/path? So if it's illegal then who would I report such a thing to? Normally I would just let people go about their business and mind my own but this guy is such an aggressive knob and also it seems unfair that he should try to bully people's use of path and road.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 15:30:36 12-07-2013

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 15:31:14 12-07-2013
  • imamazed 12 Jul 2013 15:38:58 5,455 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob Do you live near ecosse?
  • FWB 12 Jul 2013 15:41:51 41,992 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think if inconsiderate twats kept parking in front of my house, making it impossible for me to park, I would lose my cool too.
  • wobbly_Bob 12 Jul 2013 15:53:33 1,436 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @imamazed - you never know lol
    @FWB - sure it's annoying, I do get that, but there are ways of going about it. We all have to live together. They are only there to quickly pick up and drop off and although unfortunate it IS a public road. A polite word with the school to ask parents not to park and if they really have to do it then make it quick is surely better than threatening people, calling them a bunch of fucking cunts, and putting cones in the road way? It's childish and deplorable behavior. Life is filled with problems and hassels so let's not be shitty to each other, eh? :-)
  • Steve_Perry 12 Jul 2013 15:57:34 2,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    @imamazed - you never know lol
    @FWB - sure it's annoying, I do get that, but there are ways of going about it. We all have to live together. They are only there to quickly pick up and drop off and although unfortunate it IS a public road. A polite word with the school to ask parents not to park and if they really have to do it then make it quick is surely better than threatening people, calling them a bunch of fucking cunts, and putting cones in the road way? It's childish and deplorable behavior. Life is filled with problems and hassels so let's not be shitty to each other, eh? :-)
    FUCK YOU

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Steve_Perry 12 Jul 2013 15:58:25 2,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Only joking. He should go to the school and complain. If that doesn't solve it he should sit on his garden with one of his nuts hanging out the side of his adidas shorts. That will stop parents going near his home.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• FWB 12 Jul 2013 15:59:52 41,992 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd put money on it that he's tried the polite way numerous times and got no where. Shouting and swearing isn't going to help, but I can imagine his frustration. If he can't park or get out cos it's constantly try blocked by selfish parents despite asking, it is going to drive him nuts. Your suggestion that "you live together" equates to him putting up with it in this situation and letting them do it. Not being shitty to one another would start by respecting the fact he needs to get in and out.

Is it a regular state school?
  • billythekid 12 Jul 2013 16:02:30 10,808 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd have hired a fork lift truck by now if people kept blocking my driveway.
  • wobbly_Bob 12 Jul 2013 16:02:49 1,436 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Only joking. He should go to the school and complain. If that doesn't solve it he should sit on his garden with one of his nuts hanging out the side of his adidas shorts. That will stop parents going near his home.
    LOL ahem.
  • Bremenacht 12 Jul 2013 16:05:00 15,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If it's a dropped kerb and they park there, he can complain to the council. No idea what they'd do about it though.

• wobbly_Bob 12 Jul 2013 16:07:10 1,436 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I'd put money on it that he's tried the polite way numerous times and got no where. Shouting and swearing isn't going to help, but I can imagine his frustration. If he can't park or get out cos it's constantly try blocked by selfish parents despite asking, it is going to drive him nuts. Your suggestion that "you live together" equates to him putting up with it in this situation and letting them do it. Not being shitty to one another would start by respecting the fact he needs to get in and out.

Is it a regular state school?
    As I understand it, he was like this from day one and has never tried being reasonable. He is really very aggressive. It's a normal state school.

Full disclosure: I don't own a car so I have no idea how frustrating it is. The fact I am seeing quite a lot of defense for this guy tells me that it is probably very bloody annoying.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off preachy. It's just that people seem to so often resort to argumentative/aggressive/shouty behavior when there is no need for it. I do understant it has to be really annoying and I accept that the some of those parents probably do take the piss but still... I don't think threatening and name calling is appropriate behavior.
  • wobbly_Bob 12 Jul 2013 16:09:03 1,436 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    If it's a dropped kerb and they park there, he can complain to the council. No idea what they'd do about it though.
    You mean like a ramp? Sorry, I don't own a car so not fully up with the terminology. It's a drive way ( ramp ) so then he is in the right? I still think the name calling and aggressive threatening behavior is wrong. Maybe it's just me being idealistic :-)
  • Page

of 52 First / Last