The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 35

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• macmurphy 5 Feb 2013 20:31:05 879 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Kostabi

I was specifically thinking about a cash centre robbery. Armed robbers get inordinately long prison tariffs, I would have to be a decent risk reward ratio and I think this is the best. Mostly unmarked bills. I think whenever they transport something really valuable they have a lot of extra security. There's also a lot of variables if you hit them in the open. If I go with Ronuds suggestion and cut the lines then once you're inside a cash centre you have time to work. You will also have more time to get away if it goes well.

On that can you get a mobile phone or signal jammer for a small area. Anyone?
  • Kostabi 5 Feb 2013 20:37:30 4,665 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cutting the lines triggers an alarm though. One of the places I've worked had the Police called if the alarm wasn't reset in a certain period, if an alarm or phone line goes dead at a cash centre you're going to have armed police up your arsehole in a very short while.

Most 'big scores' have been successful either because of utter flukes or because security wasn't what it is now, and every successful robbery pushes their standards up a notch each time.

For a cash centre to work you'd need a couple of people inside to help with scheduling, putting the right people on the right shift to make it easier and probably someone else to play around with whatever alarms are needed to avoided. All starts to get messy once you add all the weak links in.
  • macmurphy 5 Feb 2013 20:45:25 879 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At Tonbridge they only had one inside guy, and you're right about how lucky they were. They were utterly unprofessional It's true about weak links, but if you could have one guy inside I reckon you could crack it with a fairly small team. I think the personal alarms and the remote CCTV are hardest to overcome. I think there are also alarm buttons all over the place and you have to stop those being touched as well.

It's a logistical nightmare, thought it would make an interesting discussion.
  • wogsy81 5 Feb 2013 20:50:08 599 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can i be in on this robbery. I could do with the cash.

I would make a great lookout. Or i could just make the tea when we get back to our hideout.
    And we must always keep our gloves on in the hideout. I learned that from watching Buster.
  • Kostabi 5 Feb 2013 20:50:51 4,665 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The logistics make it interesting and I'd love to see footage of a group pulling off an orchestrated heist without a Hollywood budget behind it.

Thinking about it, what about bombing the local telephone exchange and mobile cell tower? At the very least it'd be a distraction.
  • macmurphy 5 Feb 2013 20:52:59 879 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure Wogsy. I take mine Julie Andrews. Do you have Hob Nobs as well?
  • macmurphy 5 Feb 2013 20:58:32 879 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mate I would too. I'm actually tring to get some things on paper hence the thread. Specifically on your idea, a distraction is good but at the same time most of these cash centres are in the sticks. anything that increases the police presence is a pain I think.

And as you said if a telephone line goes down there are procedures where the police respond automatically. If you could get a local jammer i think that would be great, as these alarms are hand held and carried at all times so they can't have that strong of a signal.
  • Kostabi 5 Feb 2013 21:04:34 4,665 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of the places that have guards with personal alarms are deceivingly long range. The call boxes are usually setup with an antennae that covers the entire building/yard with a readout of which button was pressed. The call box usually being in the office with the most external phone lines or the main alarm.

The only sure fire way to stop an alarm is to stop someone pressing it. Possibly a job for Sam Fisher.
  • Psychotext 5 Feb 2013 22:47:56 52,782 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I imagine fucking up the remote monitoring over a period of a few weeks would help. Play the long game and after a while they'll just assume it's fucked again when it goes down...
  • BryanAKADJ 13 Feb 2013 07:29:21 271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got myself a brand new laptop and it can run many games quite well it appears, was going to get just a basic 30$ mouse, but I was wondering what good mouses are there, can anyone recommend one? Will be playing a variety of games, Hotline Miami, CoD, Starcraft 1 & 2, Hitman, Counterstrike, Arma II, Minecraft, etc.

Thanks much for any help!

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Psychotext 13 Feb 2013 11:11:00 52,782 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unless you want some super gaming thing have a look around the Microsoft and Logitech hardware sites. They both make some top notch mice.
  • Kosmoz 20 Feb 2013 10:34:43 7,509 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know why all the featured pages on Wikipedia in the past few days have had eagle in the title?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• DaM 20 Feb 2013 12:47:38 12,611 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @macmurphy - if you have any diamonds to shift, send me a pm, I've got buyers.

/taps nose.
  • skuzzbag 20 Feb 2013 20:58:23 5,483 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What the fuck is the bit of your arm called on the opposite side of the elbow?
  • guts 20 Feb 2013 21:06:55 1,690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elbow pits.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Mr-Brett 20 Feb 2013 21:12:28 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    Does anyone know why all the featured pages on Wikipedia in the past few days have had eagle in the title?
    AMERICA that's why!

Sorry I actually have no idea...

Portable view - Never forget.

• ronuds 20 Feb 2013 21:15:13 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    I saw this:
    HMS Eagle was an early aircraft carrier of the Royal Navy. Ordered by Chile as the Almirante Latorre-class battleship Almirante Cochrane, she was laid down on 20 February 1913.
    That's today.
  • cubbymoore 20 Feb 2013 21:22:11 36,441 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    What the fuck is the bit of your arm called on the opposite side of the elbow?
    Wagina. Apparently.
  • Chopsen 20 Feb 2013 21:38:55 15,178 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    antecubital fossa.
  • macmurphy 21 Feb 2013 09:06:12 879 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DaM

Oh how I wish mate. Clever bastards.
  • Jeepers 21 Feb 2013 09:48:06 13,171 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why are developers (almost) universally autistic, entitled cunts, incapable of following simple instructions?
  • jellyhead 21 Feb 2013 10:26:33 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Why are people (almost) universally autistic, entitled cunts, incapable of following simple instructions?
    Fixed that for you.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Psychotext 21 Feb 2013 15:10:04 52,782 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When you're buying a new car does the date you purchase count for registration or the date it's built? Want a 13 plate and I'm wondering if I have to wait until after the 1st of March to get it.
  • Alastair 21 Feb 2013 15:19:46 14,953 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you go in and say you want a 13 plate I'm sure that's what they'll sell you.
    Although, they might give you a discount to make the sale before month end.

I think it's based on date they send in the form for first registration, rather than build or purchase date.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Deleted user 21 February 2013 15:20:30
    It's the date it's registered, not when it's built. They would register it just before you take ownership of it.
  • Psychotext 21 Feb 2013 16:44:49 52,782 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers muchly.
  • Blotto 21 Feb 2013 16:46:52 2,514 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DOUBLE POST. Apologies but this looks like a better place for it and I'm desperate for an answer.

Is there anything like this this HDMI conversion kit available anywhere?

Basically I bought a cheap T.V that only has a HDMI port and an old Xbox that doesn't have that slot. So basically I'm looking for a conversion kit like that one in the link, only they don't seem to be sold anywhere anymore. Not even Ebay.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • mal 21 Feb 2013 18:43:13 21,973 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    guts wrote:
    Elbow pits.
    I heard someone mention their inside elbow recently, I forget why.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• PhoenixFlames 25 Feb 2013 16:34:09 8,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does the 60GB Pro (white) 360 have a HDMI port?

Also, is the one susceptible to RROD?

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 16:34:35 25-02-2013

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• ronuds 26 Feb 2013 16:04:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames Yes and Yes

The 60gb's weren't "as bad" with RROD, but still a decent chance of it going dead.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last