"The Day The Immigrants Left" - BBC, last night Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • username 25 Feb 2010 13:14:25 848 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watching that show made me feel distinctly middle aged and middle class.

What are the chances that the 26 year old nerd living with his parents is a regular on here?
  • tincanrocket 25 Feb 2010 13:15:51 3,030 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    username wrote:
    What are the chances that the 26 year old nerd living with his parents is a regular on here?

That was BlizeH ;)
  • otto Moderator 25 Feb 2010 13:40:03 49,335 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Bah. I was paid 1.50/hr, it went up to 1.60 eventually.
    It was a pretty shit job - shelf stacker and occasional till boy at Budgens. Looking back, it helped pass the time I suppose!
    Budgens! /sneer

/was a shelf stacker and occasional till boy at Waitrose

/looks down on Alastair as beneath contempt

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• DaM 25 Feb 2010 13:45:09 13,528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    They can! They have all sorts of schemes if you employee a 6 months or more dolee.
    One sounded like slave labour, you take someone on, they will pay you 100 a week towards their wages - if you don't like them after a fortnight, try another one!

There's have to be some sort of limit on the number you can consecutively reject, otherwise it's just a conveyor belt of really cheap labour...

There didn't appear to be, I did ask! As Dougs says, you really wouldn't want to retrain every fortnight.
  • Alastair 25 Feb 2010 13:46:26 16,404 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Budgens was all there was in Hatch End. Plus, they would employ you at 15, rather than 16...
  • Tonka 25 Feb 2010 13:48:01 21,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sharks attack shoppers

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• mcmonkeyplc 25 Feb 2010 13:49:32 39,566 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I worked at homebase.

It hurt my soul.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Dougs 25 Feb 2010 13:54:20 69,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I worked at Safeways. Was ace for beer money 16-19, then to stick some cash away when home from Uni
  • DaM 25 Feb 2010 13:57:39 13,528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Sharks attack shoppers

/stealth posting in the wrong thread post
  • Tonka 25 Feb 2010 14:00:23 21,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Sharks attack shoppers

/stealth posting in the wrong thread post

LOL

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• heyyo 25 Feb 2010 14:12:07 14,369 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This show made me angry!! I just turned 22 and I have had 5 jobs in the past 4 years, hell I was even working 3 jobs at once ON TOP of studying, I was a charity fundraiser, call centre slave, shelf stacking slave all at once, my studying suffered as a result of me needing to work so I stopped 2 jobs to focus on studying and I can't afford to buy even nice food items now as driving tests are cleaning me out.

There are jobs out there but they don't come from the job centre, you have to get off your arse and get talking to people ... these chavs got jobs handed to them and they decided to stay at home, "us british bulldogs can do it better" blahblahblah not if you stay in bed you can;t. They say they rather be in employment than on the dole - WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT!!

I'm working shit jobs for below minimum wage sometimes as 2 jobs are commission based and i'm not working towards anything, i'll probably be working these shit jobs after I graduate. I don't have a choice other than to work (well after I graduate I could go on the dole but i'll rather drink buffalo shit) its not fair that people are turning their noses up at hard work low pay jobs. Hell, if there was a field near my house i'd gladly go pick leaves or whatever at 5am and go home and study for uni because I don't want to be like the chavs in this show.

/rant
  • JuanKerr 25 Feb 2010 14:20:37 36,445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit different if you have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed though isn't it.
  • heyyo 25 Feb 2010 14:46:39 14,369 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have travel, rent, course fees and myself to feed, its the same if I can't pay i'm out and I got evicted at the start of this month because of exactly that, managed to pay this months rent because I got birthday money.

People can't just sit on the dole and then expect an above min wage job to magically appear but yet they complain that they'd rather be in work than on benefits. IF that is true then why aren't people (i'm using my stereotype here) going on courses or anything. A wife and kids would push me to the limits to educate myself so I can provide with a good job.

If worse came to worse then I would go and pick leaves at 5am because 40/day > 40/week or am I missing something?
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Feb 2010 23:54:03 39,566 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just watched up the guy not being able to understand the portuguese man.

Almost made me throw the laptop out the window.

Stupid cunts.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• NBZ 26 Feb 2010 04:04:44 2,384 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Just watched up the guy not being able to understand the portuguese man.

Almost made me throw the laptop out the window.

Stupid cunts.

Atleast he kept working and did manage to finish the two days.

There was also the factory saying "appy,a nd we will definitely consider you" followed by a voiceover "they applied and have not been got back ot yet".
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next