Deadly Premonition - omigodawesome! Page 32

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 September 2011 07:49:48
    Right, I've just downloaded this off of Games On Demand as I've been really curious and it's only £15.

What should I know going into this? I've heard the graphics and controls are terrible but just how bad is it?

I want to expect the worst so I can appreciate what's good about it from the start.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Sep 2011 07:56:28 14,529 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Adam it is a crazy/fun game and not that had control wise at all, driving is a bit shite, but you have to/will want to listen to the dialog during the journeys. I loved a lot of it...however it has the fuckin' awful overuse of QTE's which puts me off many a game.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 3 September 2011 08:08:16
    QTEs? Jesus wept. Well at least that makes it more modern than I had anticipated. : P

Good to see someone else up stupidly early on a Saturday.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Sep 2011 08:11:37 14,529 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    . : P
    Good to see someone else up stupidly early on a Saturday.

Kids (x2) will do that for you...and dogs (x3)
    Don't they care I was playing Driver until after midnight.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 3 September 2011 08:14:05
    That's a full house! I have a hamster that waits until I turn the light off before she goes all olympic gymnast.
  • LionheartDJH 3 Sep 2011 08:15:58 19,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stupid body clock will also do it to you :(. DP is love-hate I think Adam, it certainly has a charm to it, but tbh I got sick of the awful combat mechanics, driving etc. and a lot of people praise the story but I didn't take to it all that much so had no real drive to continue with it. Hope you have some fun with it anyway.

She dives for cheese pasties

• lavalant 3 Sep 2011 09:42:07 1,271 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Umm just stick with it, it will grow on you, but you'll still kind of hate the combat sections, Do a few main story missions then try doing some side quests for better weapons and cars. And just try and run through the combat sections as quickly as possible.
  • lavalant 3 Sep 2011 09:42:08 1,271 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • LionheartDJH 3 Sep 2011 09:47:36 19,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I offloaded it months ago, couldn't be arsed tbh, it's not that great. Don't get me wrong I like the creativity involved and it certainly has a charm but as a game I didn't find it at all fun to play.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Deleted user 3 September 2011 13:19:09
    Cool, I'll get round to play it after Deus Ex and Portal 2.
  • dancingrob 4 Sep 2011 21:29:01 1,158 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    also thinking of starting this in the next few days.

I seem to remember someone said that playing on easy difficulty minimises most of the shonkiness, and that all you miss are the higher difficulty achievements, which aren't stackable anyway.

Is that the case, or are there some details I've missed?
  • dutchspeededup 4 Sep 2011 22:06:51 4,387 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's the case

Plus I don't think the difficulty achievements stack anyway
  • Xardan 4 Sep 2011 22:43:59 717 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would say Deadly Premonition is the best game i have played so far this year. Which is a little depressing when i think about it.

“You are what you write.”

• Deleted user 4 September 2011 23:07:34
    I played this fab crazy game couple months ago and im sorry I traded it in after completing it but to make the shooting a lot more easier and enjoyable I remapped the 360 controls so that left trigger was the aim and A button the lock-on. :) and of course right trigger for shoot/fire. Not quite cod but lot more conventional.
  • dancingrob 5 Sep 2011 09:41:33 1,158 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thanks dutch.

will definitely start this over the next few days.
  • dancingrob 8 Sep 2011 10:42:08 1,158 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I started on this last night, and played through the prologue before stopping.

It's generally far shonkier than I expected, with making the character turn to face the enemies and then shooting them far more awkward than it should be. The poor graphics / animation (the parts I thought would be the dodgiest) were absolutely fine though, with the notable exception of the opening cut scene whilst the credits ran.

I took 40 minutes on the prologue, and I'm guessing most chapters are of a similar length / slightly longer with sidequests? If so, I suspect it's going to be one best approached on a 'chapter each night' basis, as fighting with controls for much more than an hour or so each evening may get a little tiresome.

@ asho

I also tried remapping the controls in much the same way you did, but then found myself having to use RT for 'open door / talk / investigate' type actions, which I found even more awkward! Did you work away around that?
  • psychokitten Moderator 8 Sep 2011 10:57:18 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope, the difficulty achievements don't stack :(

Still, I have 1000/1000 on this now, but I still get this weird urge to just revisit it every now and then. I miss Greenvale :( I want to stay in that giant empty hotel and have awkward conversations with Polly.
  • DiamondIce 8 Sep 2011 11:01:23 1,185 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having 1000/1000 on this game is akin to having performed in 5 triathalons in a day for the past month.

I was close to tears, well sort of, whilst going through the ending battles (my one and only playthrough).

I still would love to see a sequel if some of the issues of this game are ironed out.

FLOPS! RAM!

• richarddavies 8 Sep 2011 11:44:02 2,623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think im not gonna bother with this again unless they release the special edition with jazzed up graphics and controls etc they were chatting about the other week. I don't know if I could stomach those wall crawlers again.
  • SomaticSense 8 Sep 2011 11:53:17 8,115 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xardan wrote:
    I would say Deadly Premonition is the best game i have played so far this year. Which is a little depressing when i think about it.

I would say "best", as technically it's a mess. It's definitely the most immersive and entertaining though.
  • Deleted user 9 September 2011 10:26:26
    So I spent half hour last night looking for a squirrel key. Great.
  • kinky_mong 9 Sep 2011 10:39:43 10,097 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    So I spent half hour last night looking for a squirrel key. Great.

That bit reminded me of those "That's not my..." kid's books.

"That's not my squirrel key! It's tail is too bushy!"

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• dancingrob 9 Sep 2011 10:43:35 1,158 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    played the same bit. My favourite was probably the grey squirrel there is nothing special about a grey squirrel...
  • Deleted user 10 September 2011 19:02:31
    @dancingrob no sorry I did'nt, yeah that was the only problem but I got used to it.
  • Deleted user 10 September 2011 20:15:56
    psychokitten wrote:
    Nope, the difficulty achievements don't stack :(

Still, I have 1000/1000 on this now, but I still get this weird urge to just revisit it every now and then. I miss Greenvale :( I want to stay in that giant empty hotel and have awkward conversations with Polly.

Imagine if they made a sequel for next gen consoles :D

Is the developer still going?
  • dancingrob 12 Sep 2011 09:24:16 1,158 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thanks anyway!

I played a little bit more over the weekend, generally quite into it now, although the map is a right pain in the arse.

Have printed out this one, which I hope will help a little.

Greenvale Map
  • PenguinJim 29 Sep 2011 16:32:24 5,809 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After canvassing to get this thread's title changed from "omigodsucks" over a year ago, I finally got around to starting it today.

It's... so... fucking... UGLY. o_O Even before you get to the title screen!

I'm about an hour in, and it's quite good. My coffee told me I'd like it, though. F..K in the coffee.

It's even a bit spooky and scary - certainly more so (so far!) than a game like Dead Space, where you have fluid, effective controls on your side.

One thing that would have probably made me stop playing is the slow text speed, but a quick Google provided what looks like a spoiler-free list of tips and tricks for making DP less painful: http://attackmagicitem.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/tips-to-make-deadly-premonition-playable/

Just don't Google "making DP less painful".
  • Genji 3 Oct 2011 04:40:22 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Silly question, but... is an item, once thrown away, gone forever? I had my MISSION KNIFE out and ready, and accidentally pressed the B button instead of the A button. I can't find it on the ground ;_;

Aside from the awful graphics and slippery controls, I really do like this. It is more like Twin Peaks than any game I've played. And the intro was just O_o

Zack seems a lot like Diane from TP. Quite a bit weirder, though - Cooper never talked to Diane while just walking around.
  • squarewings 4 Oct 2011 02:47:06 32 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm sure this has been mentioned already but the wash of David Lynch references throughout DP is just fantastic, I love that the 'love' theme is almost exactly the same as the one from Blue Velvet and the endless Twin Peaks references are amazing - almost all of the Twin Peaks videos on youtube now have DP quotes as their top comments!

An amazing game, the shonky parts add so much to its charms - I can't wait to see what they do with the franchise next.

Lover of quiche, hater of onion. Eternally conflicted.

• Page

of 36 First / Last