Deadly Premonition - omigodawesome! Page 4

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• steve1979 14 Jul 2010 09:59:14 1,992 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Well you've got a couple of months before release steve, maybe complete some of the games you have at the moment to free up some time?

As for this, cheers for the confirmation guys. Saw it on HMV's website the other day, it looked all good and proper, but I thought it might have been another error. But apparently not. Saw the first part of Spoony's let's play of it and it looks pretty quirky but quite original, and for 20 I'm in, will pre-order soon.

Though I don't think it'll better Alan Wake somehow ;)

If it were only that easy. I have two young daughters, so game playing time is kept to a minimum. Especially anything rated 15 or 18.
  • jellyhead 14 Jul 2010 10:00:28 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LioHeart, Giant Bomb did an endurance run of DP a few weeks ago. Worth having a look at some of those too.

I'm going to Gamefaq the hell out of this one :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• LionheartDJH 14 Jul 2010 10:00:48 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah I see. Well you can always try sneak a few hours in on a night when you've put them to bed :)

She dives for cheese pasties

• DUFFMAN5 14 Jul 2010 10:03:19 14,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Other than the 2 reviews I have read/seen, I feel no need to watch/hear anything else re the game. I wanted from the get go and now I'm very happy and looking forward to playing in Sept (fingers crossed of course)
    So I now have Mafia II,Two Worlds II,TDU 2 (are you noticing a pattern here) and this on pre order.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• steve1979 14 Jul 2010 10:03:39 1,992 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's what I do at the moment - and the reason i've brought my wife some DS games :)
  • LionheartDJH 14 Jul 2010 10:03:57 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    LioHeart, Giant Bomb did an endurance run of DP a few weeks ago. Worth having a look at some of those too.

I'm going to Gamefaq the hell out of this one :)

Yeah I've heard of them (Spoony mentioned it in his commentary I think), just not checked it out yet. Will give it a google and a watch later on. Don't want to spoil too much of the game though so I won't watch too much :)

Actually quite excited because some of the features look pretty interesting, and I can't remember the last game I played that had you playing as an FBI agent.

• LionheartDJH 14 Jul 2010 10:05:21 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    steve1979 wrote:
    That's what I do at the moment - and the reason i've brought my wife some DS games :)

Good call, you've got it worked out well steve :)

• LionheartDJH 14 Jul 2010 10:06:35 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

So I now have Mafia II,Two Worlds II,TDU 2 (are you noticing a pattern here) and this on pre order.

Looks like the swapsies thread will be getting its fair share of new blood in a few months then DUFFMAN ;)

• DUFFMAN5 14 Jul 2010 10:07:06 14,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

Looks like the swapsies thread will be getting its fair share of new blood in a few months then DUFFMAN ;)

hehe indeed.

• jellyhead 14 Jul 2010 10:11:15 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LionHeart, i watched the whole endurance run and i still want to play it even though the controls are clunky, the audio levels are all over the place, some of the fights are really repetitive and i know the ending. Still want :)

• LionheartDJH 14 Jul 2010 10:13:15 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well it's probably still more enjoyable than Alone in the Dark (which I actually enjoyed to some extent) so I'll probably be okay with that. I'll watch some of the playthrough and see how it goes, thanks for the heads up :)

• steve1979 14 Jul 2010 10:15:14 1,992 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Other than the 2 reviews I have read/seen, I feel no need to watch/hear anything else re the game. I wanted from the get go and now I'm very happy and looking forward to playing in Sept (fingers crossed of course)

I want Mafia 2, but have told myself i won't pre-order any full priced games this year. I'm undecided about Two worlds 2 as i found the first to be problematic. I loved the idea more than the execution. If they've sorted that out, then it could be very interesting.
  • steve1979 14 Jul 2010 10:16:16 1,992 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    steve1979 wrote:

Good call, you've got it worked out well steve :)

Picross and Layton keep her busy. Hopefully the new layton will be out soon.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Jul 2010 10:17:58 14,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Well it's probably still more enjoyable than Alone in the Dark (which I actually enjoyed to some extent) so I'll probably be okay with that. I'll watch some of the playthrough and see how it goes, thanks for the heads up :)

AiTD had some really good ideas and could/should have been a great game, as it was the 50% odd I played I mostly enjoyed. I'm amazed at how much Alan Wake "borrowed from it"
    I still have the game, need to complete, just don't know if I can do the driving bit again!

Deadly Premonition looks to be a niche game and I love niche games ;) + it is a horror game, and we need a lot more of them.

• LionheartDJH 14 Jul 2010 10:33:47 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree, the ambition is there, but the ideas aren't executed well at all. I thought the first two sections were great, but then it went downhill when it got to Central Park for me. I guess it kinda did, but the light+shoot thing isn't exactly the same as AitD's can only kill enemies with fire thing. And yeah the driving is pretty bad, I died many times on that section!

Yeah I haven't played a niche game for a while, especially a niche horror (that is actually a horror, none of that RE5 stuff), so I'm looking forward to it :).

• DUFFMAN5 14 Jul 2010 18:25:35 14,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/15825376/Deadly-Premonition/Product.html

18 on Play, that will do me, off to cancel Amazon pre order.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Jul 2010 18:27:07 37,796 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They've gone a bit Spinal Tap with that box art.

Could be more black though.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• DUFFMAN5 14 Jul 2010 18:29:14 14,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    They've gone a bit Spinal Tap with that box art.

Could be more black though.

...You can't really dust for vomit...

• DUFFMAN5 17 Jul 2010 08:50:11 14,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bad news boys ?

Dear Duffman

Order ID:

Thank you for your recent Play.com order for Deadly Premonition

We have recently been informed by the manufacturer of this product that the release date has been changed to null. We have updated this information on site and will endeavour to process your order in readiness to arrive with you on the release date.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you in this matter and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Team

Play.com

• LionheartDJH 17 Jul 2010 08:52:22 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What do you make of it DUFFMAN? Wrong pricing from play.com ( la Amazon) or has the release been cancelled you think?

• DUFFMAN5 17 Jul 2010 08:56:11 14,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    What do you make of it DUFFMAN? Wrong pricing from play.com ( la Amazon) or has the release been cancelled you think?

I think the UK (pal) release has yet to be confirmed, and Amazon, Play ect had assumed it will get one, so put it on their sites? I would be surprised if it had anything to do with the price though On the DP website the last update was months ago, so it is hard to tell. Worse case we could import the German version ?

• LionheartDJH 17 Jul 2010 08:59:53 19,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, is it confirmed for Germany then and they just assumed from that that we'd get a UK version?

• jellyhead 17 Jul 2010 11:04:37 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've not had a cancellation mail from amazon yet.

/ crosses fingers it's just a Play issue

• Restart 17 Jul 2010 11:16:18 4,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had the same email as Duffman unfortunately.

Had a look at the Amazon page for the game, & they have removed the release date (it previously said 17th September or something), though they have updated the box art. So perhaps there is still some hope that it will appear here.
  • Machetazo 17 Jul 2010 11:22:09 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They also updated the Play page with a box cover art, visible from the search function. It's similar to the Red Seeds Profile one.
  • Kuronos23 21 Jul 2010 10:53:27 133 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rated by the BBFC, it's looking good!

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/ADM270690

Edit: Careful, the game contains the word 'skanky'.
  • Machetazo 21 Jul 2010 11:57:37 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice find :D
  • Deleted user 8 August 2010 13:46:51
    Rising Star sure are teasing us, but while we wait for final details thought we could have a debate on the game. I have posted several times in the nearby "horror games" thread about it over the past year, developing my thoughts on the game. Apologies for another long rambling post:

Starting with interest of a low budget survival horror curios from the director blog, having some doubts but sensing the connection with other games like SOS The final Escape (and the sequel Raw Danger, didn't someone do some great posts on here about how wonderfully silly the game was?) to now being more aware of its importance as a b-game. I think it is worth a look into this issue and whether it offers an alternative future to the meatheaded blockbusters for young male commercial genre, certainly among Japanese developers. I posted as a half joke somewhere on this forum a while back:

"Alan Wake is the rich mans, poor mans Deadly Premonition."

Even without playing this game the more it see of it, I think its a nice way of summing up the difference between the two, one is expensive, poorly written po faced nonsense like Heavy Rain almost ashamed to be thought of as videogames. The other is cheap, badly written mad capped brilliance, defiant and proud of the heritage of videogaming. There are a few other games such as SOS The Final Escape (Irem) and Acquire's Way of the Samurai series instantly spring to mind when thinking about it this way.

They're too ambitious, they're good bad, great because they're awful, poor because they are excellent, politically incorrect, amoral and irreverant - blatantly ripping films and tv with glee. All of the things I first fell in love with this medium, done intentionally or otherwise, only now I'm more self aware having grown up with games to appreciate them as b-game cult classics.

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but Game Developer magazine has Deadly Premonition on the front cover, in an extended feature written by the team members. The link below mentions the issue is available to buy in the digital format:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29619/Game_Developer_August_Issue_Showcases_Deadly_Premonition_Eric_Chahi.php

Will get back once I've read the magazine but my thought is, have we as gamers have failed to appreciate what these Japanese designers are doing, why games like the ones mentioned above exist and too few of us buy and love them because we're so blinded by blockbusters to appreciate their appeal?

There is also the question of where the cult of Clover and Platinum Games figures in all this, especially something like God Hand.
  • jellyhead 8 Aug 2010 15:00:01 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My amazon order is still listed \0/

/ crosses fingers

I also own God Hand :)

• Page

of 36 First / Last