I just bought my first property!

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • ManicDrunkMonk 22 Feb 2010 22:37:37 516 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got an offer for a flat accepted this morning. I'm genuinely excited about living away from the riff-raff in a place of my own.

Anybody done the big purchase recently? What horrifying financial payments might I have forgotten to take into account in my calculations? How quickly is it all going to go wrong?
  • neilch 22 Feb 2010 22:39:02 741 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Congrats!

Have you taken into account all electrical and plumbing devices to go wrong in the first year? ;-)
  • Carlo 22 Feb 2010 22:40:00 18,227 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ManicDrunkMonk wrote:
    I'm genuinely excited about living away from the riff-raff in a place of my own.

(They follow you, you know!)

PSN ID: Djini

• JuanKerr 22 Feb 2010 22:41:28 36,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn, I thought this was going to be a blizeH thread. On second thoughts, it was FUCKING unlikely.
  • Deleted user 22 February 2010 22:41:43
    Congrats, try to stay sober when you have people round!
  • elstoof 22 Feb 2010 22:45:57 8,322 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is blize banned? I'm looking forward to the interesting questions he's gonna have stored up to hijack this thread with.
  • Deleted user 22 February 2010 22:46:13
    ManicDrunkMonk wrote:
    I got an offer for a flat accepted this morning. I'm genuinely excited about living away from the riff-raff in a place of my own.

Anybody done the big purchase recently? What horrifying financial payments might I have forgotten to take into account in my calculations? How quickly is it all going to go wrong?

Electric / gas / water / council tax / house insurance / life insurance / food / mortgage establishment fee / estate agent's fee / redecoration of the flat / security system to keep the riff raff out / contents insurance in case the riff raff bypass the security system / pots and pans and crockery and cutlery / broadband / phone line rental / tv licence / sky tv (if you're into all that stuff) / etc
  • Deleted user 22 February 2010 22:46:40
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Damn, I thought this was going to be a blizeH thread. On second thoughts, it was FUCKING unlikely.

My first thoughts exactly :)
  • Khanivor 22 Feb 2010 22:47:37 41,294 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I look forward, in 50 years time, to blize's thread on buying his first old folks home.
  • Carlo 22 Feb 2010 22:48:46 18,227 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can someone link to his thread? I never read it.

PSN ID: Djini

• ScoutTech 22 Feb 2010 22:56:36 2,425 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AngeleDei wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who had to double take to check the name!
  • mr_steve100 22 Feb 2010 22:59:31 1,238 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AngeleDei wrote:
    ManicDrunkMonk wrote:

Electric / gas / water / council tax / house insurance / life insurance / food / mortgage establishment fee / estate agent's fee / redecoration of the flat / security system to keep the riff raff out / contents insurance in case the riff raff bypass the security system / pots and pans and crockery and cutlery / broadband / phone line rental / tv licence / sky tv (if you're into all that stuff) / etc

All of the above, anything that you currently use but don't remember paying for, and don't forget the stamp duty at 1% on anything up to ... can't remember, something like 250k? I forgot that and found a hole in my figures. That'll probably be your biggest outlay in the first instance, before you even get into your flat.

I've just bought a flat, too. Best tip I can offer is if you think the solicitors are taking their time, they probably are and so you should phone up yours and the estate agent to keep things going. Am waiting for contracts to exchange and hoping to move in before Easter weekend. All very exciting stuff!! I don't know if it's just me being sad or it's what happens, but I can't wait to decorate the place and fill it up with stuff I've always wanted.

Hope it all goes swimmingly.
  • Ged42 22 Feb 2010 23:35:39 7,812 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now buy 2 more properties and then you can buy a hotel.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 22 Feb 2010 23:36:23 516 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fortunately the property is only costing 120,000 so no stamp duty.

I would of posted in the thread to do with buying a house... but its locked after some BlizeH related abuse.

I've thought of most of those things AngellDei, on security though, can I put an alarm on my leasehold flat? I'm not sure of the limitations caused by not also holding the freehold.

I can't afford sky after working out my payments (it's just me, all alone).

@mr_steve100 I'm excited to just fill a whole place with my shit, I've pretty much transferred the same room from place to place since I started uni. Although if you look at the "I've just been robbed" thread you'll notice someone was nice enough to move much of my property out already :-/

Solicitors fees are shocking though. I just got quoted 1150 by the estate agents' recommended ones.
  • Tomo 22 Feb 2010 23:49:27 13,989 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are horrendous. Bunch of shysters. That said, 1150 is a snip compared to what my brother paid recently I believe.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 22 Feb 2010 23:53:53 516 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got told that I have to pay a surcharge due to it being a leasehold. I budgeted for it, but still.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 23 Feb 2010 00:50:19 10,861 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus! I'd be lynched if I charged that much!!

To be fair, not all lawyers are shysters. There are just a lot around who are. Depending on who the agents recommend, they are often in the same "group" if you are buying from a nationwide chain, and as such the money stays in the same pot.

Shop around and you'll get a reasonable quote for the conveyancing.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 23 Feb 2010 00:53:47 8,934 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Typical brits, trying to tear a man down because he got his own property by talking strictly about everything that will go wrong.
  • RedSparrows 23 Feb 2010 00:59:18 24,274 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's nowt to do with property. Or doing him down. It's just the British wayTM.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 23 Feb 2010 01:01:45 516 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /cries
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 23 Feb 2010 01:06:16 10,861 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously though, if you've been quoted 1,150 for your legal fees for a first-time purchase then demand fuckin' stellar service...
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 23 Feb 2010 01:18:58 8,934 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I for one greatly admire your purchase Manic, and wish you the best of luck.
  • Timmy 23 Feb 2010 01:35:30 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't arrange your house-warming through Facebook though...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100222/tuk-facebook-party-sees-house-trashed-dba1618.html
  • otto Moderator 23 Feb 2010 06:59:23 49,335 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ManicDrunkMonk wrote:
    Solicitors fees are shocking though. I just got quoted 1150 by the estate agents' recommended ones.
    Why so much? We paid around half that in London for a much more expensive property. Perhaps the answer is in your post. Never go with anything recommended by the estate agent! I'd recommend finding your own.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• nickthegun 23 Feb 2010 07:08:06 61,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AngeleDei wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

peel away the layers.

Poster has hardly ever posted before

suddenly posts a thread about buying a property

with a enough questions in the op to make the riddler jealous....

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Aquilasever 23 Feb 2010 07:44:15 114 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good luck with all the exchange happenings. Two years into a house purchase, the outlay is worth it.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 23 Feb 2010 07:53:47 516 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    AngeleDei wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

peel away the layers.

Poster has hardly ever posted before

suddenly posts a thread about buying a property

with a enough questions in the op to make the riddler jealous....

I'll remember this dirty accusation.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 23 Feb 2010 07:56:58 516 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:
    ManicDrunkMonk wrote:
    Solicitors fees are shocking though. I just got quoted √Ç£1150 by the estate agents' recommended ones.
    Why so much? We paid around half that in London for a much more expensive property. Perhaps the answer is in your post. Never go with anything recommended by the estate agent! I'd recommend finding your own.

Edited by otto at 07:00:39 23-02-2010

To be honest I didn't expect that much lower, maybe £800.

They've recommend ones in the middle of town, which would mean I could drop by from the office to sign anything on short no
  • otto Moderator 23 Feb 2010 08:00:25 49,335 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, your lookout. Our high street lawyers charged 700 quid all in. (Did a pretty good job too, dug out some hidden stuff that got us to pull out of the sale.)

As an aside (directed at others, not you), what is the point of whining about blize turning the property thread into one all about him when - having banned him - you all turn a new property thread into one about him? Shut up about blize already.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous