*Official* Civilization V thread Page 57

• Page

of 59 First / Last

• Whizzo 25 Jun 2012 13:21:03 43,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One thing I'm a bit annoyed at is I tend to play on random for virtually all the settings and the fact I'm playing on a pangea map means the changes to naval units mean bugger all.

I could have canned the game but it took a while before I realised I wasn't on continents and I had a decent start.

This space left intentionally blank.

• X201 25 Jun 2012 13:36:12 15,124 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I play on random for most stuff too.

I think I've ended up with an islands map this time, either that or I'm stuck on two little islands and there's a mother of a continent out there somewhere.
  • hypoBla5t 21 Aug 2012 17:58:57 1,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not sure I'm digging the new 'takes forever to fight anyone system'. Am I doing it wrong? Any tips anyone?

At the moment its blast-blast-blast with boat/plane/artillery then close in with infantry.

Not like the good old days where you could just send 20 tanks in.

And now even when you do annexing is a right pain in the balls.

Lots of improvements in V but those two things are really clamping down on my designs to take over the world etc. etc.
  • Metalfish 21 Aug 2012 19:29:33 8,785 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The rule of rolling the tanks in more or less still works. You just need to include some arty/helis in the mix to soften them up as well. The penalty against cities isn't worth worrying about if you've got decent units or a general hanging around.

The real problem is the way the game punishes you massively for actually taking the damn things. My technique was to always puppet everything until I could insta-buy courthouses in them.
  • Khanivor 21 Aug 2012 19:49:59 40,355 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aye, when I first started playing V I made the mistake of annexing every city I conquered. Now I'll only annex a strategically important city and let the rest be puppets.

Combat does take too long though.
  • orpheus 31 Aug 2012 20:19:28 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just picked up G&K and am relatively impressed (I didn't expect to be). Odd that none of the reviews I've seen have mentioned just how much LONGER it makes the early/mid game last, not that I'm complaining.

Anyone know if it's possible to 'flip' cities with Faith? I spent ages rooting out the heathen from my cities, but whenever I try to influence another nation's religion with prophets and missionaries, they get all up the arse and very little changes.

Maybe I've not quite 'got' the faith bit yet? Experienced minds care to lend some advice?
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 10:43:35
    Good news everyone!

[link url=http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=476593]
    Source code for the dll available with the next patch.[/link]

Modders rejoice!
  • Trafford 30 Sep 2012 11:51:22 5,610 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd never played Civ before, always been a Total War man.
    I got a free copy of this on the Steam XCom pre order and played it for 8 hours straight last night. Even woke up this morning thinking about it.
    Oh dear.
  • vijay_UK 30 Sep 2012 12:18:29 2,075 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    I'd never played Civ before, always been a Total War man.
    I got a free copy of this on the Steam XCom pre order and played it for 8 hours straight last night. Even woke up this morning thinking about it.
    Oh dear.
    If you (or anyone else) fancies it, the Gods & Kings expansion can be bought for 6.46 from here:

http://www.intkeys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=364

Bought minea while back, got the key and works fine no problem.
  • AdzB 7 Oct 2012 08:47:15 32 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've bought X-Com and received a copy of Civ V which I already had (and which I hardly play because I still prefer Civ IV). So I'm happy to gift my second copy of Civ V to a fellow Eurogamer. First come, first served. Also never done this before it looks like I'd need a Steam Account number or Email address to gift to if not on Steam
  • Stranded87 7 Oct 2012 09:12:08 849 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @AdzB I'd love it if it's still going thanks. My Steam ID is Stranded87.
  • AdzB 7 Oct 2012 10:30:59 32 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Stranded87 Sure it's still going. I've sent a friend request through Steam once you've accepted I should be able to gift you the game
  • Stranded87 7 Oct 2012 10:50:17 849 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @AdzB I've just accepted, thanks muchly :) I was just thinking yesterday that I really should give Civ 5 a try :)
  • AdzB 7 Oct 2012 13:47:35 32 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool have just sent the game across to you in Steam, I think you have to accept and then it will update from Gift Sent to Redeemed. Let me know if you think I need to do anything else, if not enjoy :-)
  • X201 3 Nov 2012 18:23:46 15,124 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Huuuuuuumongous patch incoming.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/03/civilization-5-gets-enormous-balancing-patch/
  • vijay_UK 3 Nov 2012 20:26:50 2,075 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Huuuuuuumongous patch incoming.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/03/civilization-5-gets-enormous-balancing-patch/
    Good find X2, thx. I've been wanting to have another go at this, so the timing is good.
  • cubbymoore 8 Feb 2013 14:09:28 36,468 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This game has consumed my life! I really like the combat on it, now that it's hexagonal based. It takes soooo long though. I've been playing the same game for 4 nights straight and I'm *just* about to conquer everyone, and that's the quickest way to win the game...
  • Scimarad 8 Feb 2013 16:25:22 8,530 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love the move to hexes and no stacking but I find the game really frustrating. I like to play peacefully/diplomatically but Civ V really doesn't seem to like that and the AI's seem to all turn on you for no reason. It's a weird thing to say, but this seems more 'gamey' somehow, with you against the computer rather than your civilization interacting with a lot other different civilizations.

I probably shouldn't be playing it like a global version of Sim City if want to 'win', I suppose.
  • THFourteen 10 Feb 2013 10:27:15 32,855 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All day Civ marathon you say? Why not.
  • cubbymoore 10 Feb 2013 11:45:31 36,468 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I so wish I had the time to do that. I might even finish a game!
  • Deleted user 10 February 2013 11:58:38
    The diplomacy is fairly crappy in Civ 5 sadly. I agree that it's much more biased towards military victories too.

The pros are religion is much better implemented this time around imo and the slightly more tactical hex-based combat as opposed to the "stacks of doom". That said, a few archers and a couple of swordsman can take out most Civs in an early rush up to and including Deity which seems rather poorly balanced.

For all the improvements I still much prefer 4, if only for the diplo format where dealings with the other Civ leaders seems to have a tangible effect on the game.

/2 cents
  • THFourteen 10 Feb 2013 12:02:08 32,855 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As it so happens real life got in the way and I haven't even started yet. Maybe this afternoon.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2013 12:11:08
    I would TH14 but I've got my lad around and off out in a bit.

Have fun if you get a game up and running though :)
  • THFourteen 10 Feb 2013 19:26:00 32,855 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just about to start now... So much for an all day session! Might get a game started at least..
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2013 19:43:18 8,075 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    The diplomacy is fairly crappy in Civ 5 sadly. I agree that it's much more biased towards military victories too.

The pros are religion is much better implemented this time around imo and the slightly more tactical hex-based combat as opposed to the "stacks of doom". That said, a few archers and a couple of swordsman can take out most Civs in an early rush up to and including Deity which seems rather poorly balanced.

For all the improvements I still much prefer 4, if only for the diplo format where dealings with the other Civ leaders seems to have a tangible effect on the game.

/2 cents
    I know you prefer 4, but would you fancy a multiplayer game of 5? Need to get into it...
  • onestepfromlost 10 Feb 2013 19:47:23 2,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i like the idea of multiplayer games of this, but unless you can dedicate large chunks of time, doesn't it take ages to get anywhere?
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2013 22:07:24 8,075 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @onestepfromlost - Surely there is an option to save mid game? Would have to be played more like a co-op game rather than a quick blast of multiplayer, obviously, but I'd be up for it. I love multiplayer turn based strategy games, especially in co op
  • onestepfromlost 10 Feb 2013 22:10:21 2,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah but i know how long a singel player game can take so you would probably have to have quite a few sessions of long periods each, dont know if it would work with the whole short Mp blasts here and there. cenceptially great idea though
  • Page

of 59 First / Last