*Official* Civilization V thread Page 56

• Page

of 59 First / Last

• JoeBlade 31 May 2012 13:18:10 2,522 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    IV was a good time sponge (but games had a tendency to get bogged down in tedious minutia), V is a nice change in direction for the series. They've all got their weaknesses. I think some people just wanted CivIV with better graphics. That would have been pointless.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there on both accounts. The "tedious minutia" is what hardcore players seem to prefer and casuals seem to dislike so I guess we'll never see a concensus on that.
    And indeed, most people that complain about Civ5 seem to just want another Civ4.

Speaking of: is it me or is the Civ5 expansion adding the exact same things the Civ4 expansions did? That feels a bit cheap, I'd hoped they would add a few more entirely new concepts instead :(
    And I never liked espionage in Civ. There, I said it.
  • marilena 31 May 2012 13:29:19 8,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    is it me or is the Civ5 expansion adding the exact same things the Civ4 expansions did? That feels a bit cheap, I'd hoped they would add a few more entirely new concepts instead :(
    And I never liked espionage in Civ. There, I said it.
    The expansion adds some elements that were also in Civ IV by name, but they are very different as mechanics - in fact they have absolutely no similarity.

I have the same opinion as you on Civ IV espionage, but the new one seems pretty cool and micromanagement free. Among other things, you can find out in advance if an enemy is planning to declare war on you, you can manipulate a city state's friendliness... Seems more interesting than having your water poisoned every other turn by some random civ that wasn't even at war with you.
  • JoeBlade 31 May 2012 13:38:52 2,522 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    The expansion adds some elements that were also in Civ IV by name, but they are very different as mechanics - in fact they have absolutely no similarity.
    Ah, that's nice to hear! :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 May 2012 13:45:19 35,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @marilena Oh, hi, that's a coincidence - I was wondering just the other day (honestly) where you are these days! :)
  • X201 31 May 2012 13:55:48 15,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Madgod_Dc wrote:
    its best to get into a routine of charging the battery, then running your lappy until the battery runs out, then recharge. batteries last longer doing this.

NOOOOO!
    It was true for the old Ni-Cad batteries.

Laptops/smart phones/etc now use Li-ion (Lithium ion) batteries, and you WILL damage their lifespan by doing that.
    Li-ion batteries last longer by charging them regular and often.
  • marilena 31 May 2012 13:56:36 8,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @marilena Oh, hi, that's a coincidence - I was wondering just the other day (honestly) where you are these days! :)
    Heh. I'm still around, but I've been posting a lot less. The forum is moving much too fast for me these days, I think.

Ironically, I mostly check out non-gaming threads now :). But I still follow the Civ discussions (and maybe soon I'll be checking out the Diablo thread - I've just been gifted a copy!).
  • marilena 31 May 2012 14:12:29 8,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    @Joeblade I don't want another Civ4. I just want a Civ5 that isn't a sub par(and broken) tactical war game with a sub par(and broken) empire building element, when it should be the empire building game that is the measuring stick for the rest of the generation. The fact Civ4 is still that measuring stick says a lot (and it isn't even as if Civ4 was my personal favourite, either!)
    "Broken" is word that people love to throw around these days.

The tactical element is not broken and neither is the empire building. The AI is not a genius, but it's not as unplayable as what you see in older games of this type. It's... functional. The gameplay is as addictive as Civ has always been, although I feel a bit more abstract. There's no feeling that there are people in the game's world, which is a bit of a pity. I'm also not a big fan of the diplomacy system, but overall I still think that the game is far, far from broken.
  • X201 31 May 2012 14:20:12 15,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Broken has become a synonym for "Not how I want it to be"
  • disusedgenius 31 May 2012 14:40:17 5,282 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    That is broken in my strategy book.
    That's quite the hyperbol-a-tastic strategy book you have there.
  • Chopsen 31 May 2012 14:55:35 15,868 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    There is no variation to play, it is all one route,
    Don't really think previous Civs were massively varied in comparison. 4 was Chop trees, rush build, stack units, attack. That's pretty much all you saw in civ4. Then surprise nuclear attack and random changes in diplomacy if you happen to be winning.

III was build cities as fast as possible (iirc).

II Get Leonardo's workshop and Great Library. Everything else is window dressing.
  • marilena 31 May 2012 14:55:47 8,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    The whole city sprawling is back in a way that, again, makes it one way guarantee.
    This bit, at least, is complete horseshit. Civ V is by far, out of all Civ games, the one where your number of cities is not the clearest indicator of how well you're doing. You can win the game while only having 3-4 cities, which I wouldn't even dream of in Civ IV.

Also, city sprawling has become pretty much impossible after the Colloseum nerf that happened a long time ago.

I also don't agree that there's only one way to play. It may be your fault for sticking with only one strategy that works for you. I had the same problem, initially (I couldn't play without Piety and just didn't understand how it would be possible), but in the mean time I've actually found many other strategies that work as well or better.

Edited by marilena at 14:56:49 31-05-2012
  • X201 31 May 2012 15:18:13 15,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Madgod_Dc wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Madgod_Dc wrote:
    its best to get into a routine of charging the battery, then running your lappy until the battery runs out, then recharge. batteries last longer doing this.

NOOOOO!
    It was true for the old Ni-Cad batteries.

Laptops/smart phones/etc now use Li-ion (Lithium ion) batteries, and you WILL damage their lifespan by doing that.
    Li-ion batteries last longer by charging them regular and often.
    really? but laptops get really hot around the battery area if you leave in the power. :confused:
    I didn't say you had to leave the power on, only that you should charge them after each use, and not let them run flat.
  • Chopsen 31 May 2012 16:33:30 15,868 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still don't see how that makes the game broken. Like I might have already said, a lot of the strategies employed by people in CivIV to win the game consistently were boderline game-breaking exploits. (I'm taking about the kind of stuff you see with the OCD types on CivFanatics here)

It sounds like really the problem you have is that you don't like the way CivV plays. Which is fair enough, but doesn't mean it's "broken."

Edited by Chopsen at 16:34:18 31-05-2012
  • marilena 31 May 2012 18:05:27 8,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    marilena wrote:
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    The whole city sprawling is back in a way that, again, makes it one way guarantee.
    This bit, at least, is complete horseshit. Civ V is by far, out of all Civ games, the one where your number of cities is not the clearest indicator of how well you're doing. You can win the game while only having 3-4 cities, which I wouldn't even dream of in Civ IV.
    The coliseum nerf won't slow me down for long. I still beat you with more cities, because the return on research and gold outdoes anything else. Not to mention the fact the city defense buff just makes city building more attractive as a giant web of artillery.
    I think I'll need to see you play to get an idea of this city sprawl powerhouse that you describe.

I'm an Emperor level player, so obviously I've still got a lot to learn, but I haven't heard people complain about city sprawl in a long while, even though I follow the CivFanatics forums with regularity.
  • X201 14 Jun 2012 19:59:31 15,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Strange happenings in Civ V

I've got new advisor graphics - much more modern looking people than before.
    The opening film now stops playing as soon as you press ESC and shows a loading screen featuring a cathedral.
    All the advisor messages have been reset, so it treats you like its your first game again.

Obviously its linked to Gods &Kings, but its seems a bit odd to get bits of it before the release date.

Edit:
    Sussed it.
    Update notes

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_updates&appids=8930

Edited by X201 at 20:29:51 14-06-2012
  • Chopsen 24 Jun 2012 16:21:02 15,868 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So anyone tried the G&K DLC yet?

Played a little bit. Religion adds am interesting new aspect to the game. Seems a lot easier to keep people happier now, which I can see changing the way it plays = people getting pissed off was always a bit problem in expansion for me, especially when playing on anything but noddy level.

Not sure about espionage yet, not least because it seems to contain a game breaking bug - if you go to view a foreign city from the espionage screen, it is then impossible to bring up the espionage screen again, or in fact any of the extended info screen like diplomacy etc. without reloading the game. Hopefully will get patched :/

Edited by Chopsen at 16:21:25 24-06-2012
  • faux_carnation 24 Jun 2012 18:43:30 9,259 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Considering how incredibly disappointing the main game was,  there's no way I'm paying full price for the expansion, so it might be a long time before i pick it up. Probably too soon to make it into the Steam sale.
  • Bremenacht 24 Jun 2012 20:45:21 17,783 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started playing this recently and love it. Can you download scenarios in addition to the Mongol one? I enjoy it, but I'm just not good enough for it atm.
  • WrongShui 24 Jun 2012 23:11:41 6,611 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Considering how incredibly disappointing the main game was,  there's no way I'm paying full price for the expansion, so it might be a long time before i pick it up. Probably too soon to make it into the Steam sale.
    This pretty much.
  • dsmx 24 Jun 2012 23:18:47 7,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The expansion makes the game a hell of a lot easier, that would my brief assessment of it so far.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• X201 25 Jun 2012 12:32:49 15,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Started playing this recently and love it. Can you download scenarios in addition to the Mongol one? I enjoy it, but I'm just not good enough for it atm.

Yep, Korea, Vikings, Spain, Inca, Ploynesia + new ones in Gods and Kings expansion.

Best thing to do is look for them in the Steam or GamersGate sales.
  • X201 25 Jun 2012 12:35:11 15,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only 120-ish turns into Gods and Kings.

Have founded a new religion called Goatism.

Have decided for my next playthrough to found a religion called Ism, so that it will be called Ismism.
  • dsmx 25 Jun 2012 12:38:44 7,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I on the other hand named my religion after me so now my people all worship me, welcome to the religion of danism, Of course now every time I look around the world and see cities not worshipping me I feel they need to be shown the error of their ways.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Whizzo 25 Jun 2012 12:48:15 43,091 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My version of Christianity, founded in London, is pretty much a fertility cult designed around shagging to increase populations and blowing things up in the name of holy war.

So pretty much Catholicism really.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 59 First / Last