*Official* Civilization V thread Page 5

• Page

of 59 First / Last

• kalel 19 Feb 2010 11:34:35 87,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Currently religion is not hugely realistic, but that doesn't mean they should remove it completely.

• Deleted user 19 February 2010 11:40:32
    kalel wrote:
    Currently religion is not hugely realistic, but that doesn't mean they should remove it completely.

It was a design decision to just make religion as generic and vague as possible, with no differing benefits between different types. Which is hugely understandable, really. They sort of offset it with corporations in BtS (which did have different benefits) but it was so ridiculously hard to get a corporation (and usually only in late/end game stage) it was a pointless addition.
  • faux_carnation 19 Feb 2010 11:44:22 9,335 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The more I think about it, the more the only thing I *really* want is for combat to stop just being about attrition and huge numbers of units.
  • kalel 19 Feb 2010 11:45:57 87,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    It was a design decision to just make religion as generic and vague as possible, with no differing benefits between different types. Which is hugely understandable, really.

I suppose so, although they assign different benefits to different nations, which is isn't really that different in terms of PCness to assigning them to religions.

Would be quite funny though for them to go there. Judaism gives an economic boost etc.
  • kalel 19 Feb 2010 11:47:33 87,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    The more I think about it, the more the only thing I *really* want is for combat to stop just being about attrition and huge numbers of units.

I sort of agree, but then if they change this it'll become yet another RTS combat game that I'm shit at.

The reason I like Civ is because the emphasis is much more on general management stuff.
  • Gl3n Moderator 19 Feb 2010 11:51:07 5,561 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has there ever been a civilisation that was successful without having to fight any wars?
  • faux_carnation 19 Feb 2010 11:53:16 9,335 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:

I sort of agree, but then if they change this it'll become yet another RTS combat game that I'm shit at.

The reason I like Civ is because the emphasis is much more on general management stuff.

I totally agree, but the thing I have a problem with is the times when sudden declarations of war result in a stack of units marching into your land, you hover over the stack, and it's practically 20 catapults, 20 war elephants, 20 macemen marching on my little border town with 3 longbowmen.

I think it would fixed actually by making it much more difficult to declare war unexpectedly - it doesn't seem very logical that such a massing of troops would go unnoticed.

It also really pisses me off that AI leaders can go completely against relations with you - "Pleased" leaders suddenly declaring war doesn't make any sense really.
  • kalel 19 Feb 2010 11:55:30 87,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    Has there ever been a civilisation that was successful without having to fight any wars?

I guess we'll find out when the world ends and the winner of the game is announced.
  • faux_carnation 19 Feb 2010 11:57:06 9,335 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whilst we're wishing for stuff...

-Army size & unit production speed should be limited by population (massive cities can quickly produce shitty cannnon fodder, but smaller ones can only produce smaller, better trained units).
    -Some kind of mercenary army thing would be pretty cool.

• Gl3n Moderator 19 Feb 2010 11:57:18 5,561 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Technically, the world should of ended soon after the space race began.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Feb 2010 12:05:34 14,714 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Checks date.

39 turns left.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• w00t 19 Feb 2010 12:08:51 11,101 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Am I the only one whose second thought after 'Woohoo!' was 'I cannot wait for the Fall from Heaven III mod!'?

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• TechnoHippy 19 Feb 2010 12:27:17 14,714 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Am I the only one whose second thought after 'Woohoo!' was 'I cannot wait for the Fall from Heaven III mod!'?

I've not tried any mods for Civ 4, maybe I should. That one looks interesting at least.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• figgis 19 Feb 2010 12:30:40 7,376 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    w00t wrote:

I've not tried any mods for Civ 4, maybe I should. That one looks interesting at least.

It's pretty good but takes some getting into.
  • Chopsen 19 Feb 2010 12:55:48 15,950 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    I never had much desire to play beyond the space race.

The game is about history, going from the dawn of civilisation up to the modern day, even building a massive spaceship to fly to another star is already stretching the concept a bit so I'd rather it didn't go beyond that.

It's not like there isn't enough to do already :)

Yeah.

There was a weird Civ spin-off a fear years ago that activition put out. Civ: Call to Power or something. it was the same basic concept, but it took you in to future tech and you'd have massive mechs or something like as units you could use.

It was shit.
  • AaronTurner 19 Feb 2010 13:10:30 7,736 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They should release civ V: Alpha Centuri expansion as DLC. Oh my god yes they should.
  • RedSparrows 19 Feb 2010 13:12:26 22,599 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the future stuff, I don't want the adventure to end with where we are today. That's not what Civ should be about. Of course, the great thing is is that you can tweak it to how you want.

I wonder if they'll ever introduce some of the white elephants into the game (no): genocide et al. They are there implicitly - blockades can starve cities, civs are wiped out and exterminated. I suppose that's as far as it should go. P.S I don't necessarily want to be able to 'do it'....
  • faux_carnation 19 Feb 2010 13:21:06 9,335 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did Civ IV:Col ever get patched to actually be playable?
  • Page

of 59 First / Last