The **MOST OFFICIALEST** World of Tanks thread Page 17

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Dr_Mech 12 Dec 2012 05:10:03 1,051 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Christ the British Tier 10 Heavy got some major armour buffs there, meaning that going hull down and sidescraping with it has become a possibility whereas before that tank was just butter on all fronts and couldn't even sidescrape properly due to overmatching. A small price to pay in the gun nerf front which doesn't look too bad for that massive uparmouring.

Surprised at the Type-59 buffs though, that thing was already a pretty amazing tank armourwise (for a medium, it was technically almost as well armoured and the super pershing due to the sloping and turret front), so now it does more damage, has better ground resistance (meaning it turns better) but is still sluggish in acceleration.

Still no sign of a buff for the Centurion MkI though (which I think really needs it)
  • dsmx 12 Dec 2012 17:15:52 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The spaced armor bug seems to be of fixed, the panther is now a viable tank with the 75l100 now that you can rely on the shot actually doing some damage when it hits.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Dr_Mech 13 Dec 2012 05:07:15 1,051 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Having played the Type after the buffs and..erm...wow...it now almost completely outshines any other tier 8 medium, gun does more damage than most tier 8s, has penetration values comparable to the T-44 and is the best armoured of the tier 8 meds.

Yowza!
  • DanB24 16 Dec 2012 18:55:26 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The school holidays must have started as I've never seen such terrible play as I've seen this weekend. :(
    Something like 10 straight defeats as the entire team gibber their way across the battlefield every damn time. :(
  • DanB24 22 Dec 2012 16:30:34 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another weekend and guess what?
    Another bunch of retards.... :(

And probably going to be the same for the entire Xmas break I expect.
  • dsmx 22 Dec 2012 18:04:16 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably but I'm going to carry on venturing in mainly because the comet is a lot of fun against crap people. Once you've got it fully kitted out zooming round towns at 65 kph taking shots with the vickers HV at top speed is a lot of fun and your surprisingly hard to hit.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• DanB24 22 Dec 2012 18:16:30 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice! :)
  • dsmx 22 Dec 2012 18:57:41 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Basically right now the comet feels like what the hellcat should be like.

• DanB24 22 Dec 2012 19:01:46 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah sounds good. :)
    I got my Comet today and haven't had a great start with it so far.
  • dsmx 22 Dec 2012 20:06:49 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Until you get the 6 pounder l 50 and the first meteor engine it's a bit rubbish, once you have them you start having fun in it and once you get the vickers HV and the second meteor engine it's a laugh driving around in it.

• DanB24 22 Dec 2012 21:51:10 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think you mean Cromwell not Comet mate :) But yeah the Cromwell's great fun. :D
  • dsmx 22 Dec 2012 22:22:00 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah looking back I did mean that but I find it rather strange that the comet got the 17 pounder gun so why doesn't it here?

• DanB24 22 Dec 2012 22:57:24 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I guessed that was what you meant. :)
    The gun it really had really is the "77". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_17_pdr#77_mm_HV
  • dsmx 23 Dec 2012 00:29:07 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Havinga quick trawl around that wikipedia page turns up some interesting tanks they could put on the british lines 17 pdr on a m10 those would be rather nice tanks to have.

• DanB24 23 Dec 2012 09:06:37 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's right. I do hope the Challenger and Achilles make it into the game. :) The Archer could be fun too.
  • Dr_Mech 23 Dec 2012 13:32:46 1,051 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the Cromwell is the star of the Brit Med line once it is fully elited, fast, hits pretty hard for a medium, decent pen, good RoF. Infact it is quite funny comparing it to the new tier 6 USA T21 light tank the Cromwell has the following pros:
    Better armour (I know shocking right)
    Faster
    Better gun
    Better camo value.
    Better Matchmaking.

And the following con:
    View Range.

It makes a better scout than a designated scout tank AND it can still WTFpwn people it comes up against.

I've recently bought a TOGII if only for shits and giggles, now solo play it's usualy 50/50 as to how things can go but if you platoon 3 of them together and stick together....damn son. The fact it can 1v1 any tank it comes across just by sheer HP alone combined with that rate of fire, three of them together...just ouch.

For example our 3 man TOG platoon met a 3 man KV-1S platoon. Now they have to stop, wait for the aiming circle to shirnk, at which point one of them has eaten a volley fire from the three of us for around 500 damage. They focus fire one of us, knock off 1000 HP, at which point one of the KV-1S was obliterated by a second volley...then they've got that awful reload time...

Needless to say we lost 1 TOGII to their 3 KV-1S.

Oh and had a great moment where both sides had a 3 man TOG platoon and we ended up fighting like ships of the line.

Annoyingly we were 1 kill away in this game from getting crucial contribution (11 kills between the whole platoon) and I managed to get two of the most unlikely badges for a TOGII
  • RobAnybody 23 Dec 2012 14:31:41 946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So what do people think of the Christmas Garage? I love the look of it but I think it would be better without the fireworks and people yelling.
  • dsmx 23 Dec 2012 21:08:19 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the lighting in it.

However on the subject of the cromwell it is a very quick, nimble tank with a gun that's good enough to get through the side and rear armours of enemy heavy tanks. It's the perfect tank destroyer or basically what the hellcat should be.

Edited by dsmx at 21:33:08 23-12-2012

Edited by dsmx at 21:35:08 23-12-2012

• DanB24 24 Dec 2012 10:41:10 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you have a tier 2 tank with heavy armour then now's a great time to play it as almost everyone's in those silly free premium tanks we've all been given and you can really clean up lol.

Unless they use gold my H35's almost impenetrable to them lol.

Edited by DanB24 at 10:42:14 24-12-2012
  • RobAnybody 24 Dec 2012 11:53:49 946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I currently have the Cromwell (going through the upgrade grind). It's nice and fast, which is a problem for me as whenever I'm in a fast medium tank I have this nasty habit of dashing into trouble. :-)

It's fun though, so what the heck!
  • dsmx 24 Dec 2012 12:39:05 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trick is for the first part of the battle hang back and take pot shots and wait till most of the enemy tanks are occupied shooting at each other and you have a rough idea where all the enemy tanks are then go zip around and start blasting away at their sides and arse.

• RobAnybody 24 Dec 2012 12:46:53 946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks, I sometimes do that, but I always feel bad about letting others take all the heat in the early stages (especially as the Cromwell makes a good scout so, in theory, I should be zipping ahead to mark the positions of the enemy tanks).
  • dsmx 24 Dec 2012 12:51:09 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit to big and it's view range is a bit short to scout early on but it makes a fearsome scout in the second half of the battle since you have the firepower to take down tanks as well as spot them so they either have to deal with the heavy tanks blasting them from the front or you blasting their rear, most try to do both and end up dying.

• Dr_Mech 24 Dec 2012 14:34:59 1,051 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    got the T71 fully researched and transferred and retrained my old Chaffee crew that I had hanging in the Barracks and...

It is surprisingly good, especially when compared to the fecking awful T21. I probably will be keeping it as a dedicated scout tank rather than sell it for the autoloading medium.

One suggestion for the Cromwell is, where possible, act in a wolfpack with other mediums, I know this is pretty much standard advice but when playing the Cromwell I was in a wolfpack with myself and two Easy 8s. The sheer speed of the reload meant we were sling out 300-400 damage roughly every 4-5 seconds and in a tier 6 maximum game, that is half the health off a KV-1S and usually have time for a second volley if you catch them by surprise.

Despite what people say the Cromwel isn't a scout, it has terrible view range compared to dedicated scouts and only ok Camo value, you're a medium tank, not a light, as DSMX suggests, hang back and snipe at first, then in the second half of the battle swoop around like a vulture looking for easy kill to pick off.

Keep in mind it is almost good enough to circle most other medium tanks to death, especially the sluggish VK3601H and Sherman Jumbo.

Light tanks will be the bane of your existence though, especially the Chaffee or the AMX series.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:36:13 24-12-2012
  • DanB24 24 Dec 2012 15:55:33 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd also chip in the the Cromwell seems fairly good at ramming when needed too.
  • RobAnybody 24 Dec 2012 16:41:40 946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the tips. :-)
  • dsmx 24 Dec 2012 19:11:08 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just like the fact it has a rear spoiler on it, I keep feeling it needs low profile tracks and neon underneath it.

• RobAnybody 24 Dec 2012 19:13:23 946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Red, White and Blue LEDs on the sides sounds like a good idea too. ;)
  • DanB24 24 Dec 2012 19:40:14 2,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah the good ol Normandy cowling eh? :)
  • dsmx 27 Dec 2012 09:24:09 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I took the plunge last night and got myself a premium tank, I went with the t26e4 and I'm liking it so far as you can still troll people with that turret armor and it's nearly half the price of the other tier 8 tanks and you get similar money so it's a great buy.

• Page

of 18 First / Last