of 18 First / Last

• JeremyT 31 May 2010 11:32:24 10 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    captain_Stifler wrote:
    Hey, but I saw some other gamplay video at youtube:
    It is a bit different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EX5ugqUUI

This is the video from the 1st World of Tanks championship within the Russian closed beta.
  • JeremyT 31 May 2010 11:48:20 10 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Is it me or do the tanks drive like Ferraris?

In World of Tanks, the panzers' speed characteristics are almost equal to their real prototypes' specs. However, we have increased a bit the vehicles' speed, acceleration rates, turret rotation and reloading rates. Otherwise, it would be extremely boring to command your vehicles and it would hurt the action aspect in the game deeply. We tried to reach perfect balance between realism and gameplay, because once either of the parameters is just a bit too much, the game would lose its X-factor. Thus, World of Tanks is not a hardcore simulator where you’d have to spend minutes learning how to get those huge panzers at least moving and aiming. The game’s difficulty should depend on applying your tactical skills and coordinating moves with your teammates not struggling with overwhelmingly complicated controls. At the same time, we have implemented a sophisticated damage model which allows using peculiar tactics against different vehicle types or even deal higher damage to a particular tank model knowing its weak points. We even have terrain effects, we calculate shell travel time, we have destructible objects and many other great features that make game realistic. Each panzer's module has its own individual specs that correspond to their real prototypes.
  • captain_Stifler 31 May 2010 12:57:16 9 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, in this game how is the payment system realised? What do you have to pay for? Can I buy the best tank for real money?
  • JeremyT 16 Jun 2010 13:55:05 10 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The game assumes micropayments, so players can invest money into some bonus content. First, this is a premium account, which gives +50% to credits and experience per battle to the owner. The premium account is a very comfortable option for players who don’t have enough time for their favorite game, therefore, it will give them a chance to progress faster. However, this account will not give you any advantages in battles. The only advantage here is your saved time. Second, players will also be able to purchase premium tanks. These panzers are not top ones and are introduced only to give a player the feeling of a specific tank class and help them decide whether to invest their time into this branch of a tech tree or not. And finally, we will offer our players to use some custom features for their pets like personal drawings, insignias, clan emblems or custom camos.

Players will not be able to buy top tanks for money. We are making the game about panzer legends and players should deserve the right to drive those legends through tense fights, not money investing:). We think it is fair.
  • FWB 16 Jun 2010 13:56:25 44,360 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So they drive like Ferraris.
  • JeremyT 2 Jul 2010 11:12:03 10 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Registration for the World of Tanks European beta has already started! You may apply for the beta here http://game.worldoftanks.com/registration/cbt/
  • Deleted user 9 August 2010 21:15:51
    Pretty groovy little game :D
  • Deleted user 10 August 2010 10:27:30
    Some initial impressions and notes after staying up somewhat late playing this last night.

+ Game engine is what could kindly be referred to as functional. Game's not going to win any awards for beauty but scenery is destructible to some degree. Spotting a tree going over in a forest in the distance is a clue tanks are about, so be warned about gleefully inflicting property damage!

+ Real world tank tactics such as going hull-down are doable and the draw distance is good, with more detailed urban maps tending toward being smaller while open maps can be larger (their FAQ states from 1 square km to 25 square km IIRC) - there's a pretty nice variety too.

+ Tanks are well detailed and there's quite a detailed damage model. Having said that the game is relatively unforgiving of damage and destruction is only ever seconds away.

+ Your early light tanks are both crap and slow, not the nippy things you'd expect. Worth persevering though as upgrades help and the noob models are really the worst. Stick to Recruit battles where at least no medium/heavy tanks can play but unlike training you do earn exp and credits.

+ Two important things:

(a) The shift key enables scope view. I missed this for ages!

(b) If you tank is destroyed in a battle you can either wait to see the outcome by using chase view on your comrades tanks, or press ESC to go back to your garage and take one of your other tanks out to battle. Your original destroyed one will be returned to your garage when the battles 15 minutes are up or all tanks on one side are destroyed.

+ I'm not great for RTFM but it took me a while to figure out how to level tanks up by hitting the research tab (top right in garage mode) and then researching new components on the tank you've just done a battle in. Once you've researched everything in that tanks tree it becomes 'elite' which IIRC means it earns more XP. Completing tank tree's also gives you access to buy newer and slightly better tanks.

+ Slightly disappointing no infantry and no visible crews on open SPG and tank destroyers but I did notice in the FAQ that the reasom MGs aren't modelled is there is nothing to shoot with them 'yet' - there are plans for infantry later! Heh, crunchies! >:)
  • Stickman 10 Aug 2010 10:34:04 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one. Got a key yesterday but didn't get round to downloading yet. I'll give this a rev tonight. Looks like something that you can just fire up for an hour or so, would that be right?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 10 August 2010 10:38:40
    Very much so! Battles are 15 minutes max and generally quite fast paced so it's ridiculously easy to jump on for a quick spin. On the other hand as I found at 4 this morning it has that 'just one more go' hook to it :D
  • Stickman 10 Aug 2010 12:51:04 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It sounds and looks like it could be really fun.

Bit worried though; just had a scan of the official forums (I know, I know) and they seem to be filled with absolute bell ends. An MMO lives and dies by its userbase I think. TKing seems rife and already people are bandying around 'noob' every second word. In closed beta. Hmmm.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 10 August 2010 13:00:20
    I don't go near the forums :)

Not seen any TKing at all in game. I didn't think it was possible :-/
  • Stickman 10 Aug 2010 13:03:03 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It seems to be folk turning up to standard battles in a starter tank. I can understand people getting irked at someone taking up a space, but come on, it's just a beta, calm down.

I can't really fathom out this 'pay to play' lark either, but I'm sure things will be more apparent once I actually get in the game.

You going German or Ruskie?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 10 August 2010 13:32:03
    Well in the beta battles it doesn't seem to matter which 'side' you use, as sides are a mishmash of both. Think I saw mention of historical scenarios where you'd have use the tanks appropriate to nationality.

As far as pay to play goes I've not personally investigated but seems it allows you to level up faster. Personally I'd think that would detract from the game as slower progress in these sorts of things makes you appreciate each upgrade more but horses for courses I guess.
  • MikeP 8 Sep 2010 12:55:59 1,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are there any current Beta Key giveaways live?

I've registered via the site but it'd be good if I could shortcut that process, seeing as most of the bods I fly with in Eve have buggered off to this or flippin' Dwarf Fortress for the moment :)

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• bauhaus 20 Jan 2011 13:40:46 3,512 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is open beta now

the game is really quite good, imho

• Zaiz 7 Feb 2011 19:29:03 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only complaint about the game is when you play in a big tank and get ammo racked from your first shell. You'll get back 5k credits, and pay a 20k repair bill. Its so people just don't spam their huge tanks, they say, but really, I expect its so people pay for premium.
  • spacemonkey2000 4 Apr 2011 10:44:11 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm amazed that this game hasn't got more of a following here. World of tanks is, hands down, the best online multiplayer game of the last 2 years for me... and its free! It goes live on the 12th of April, but is in open beta right now. It has a brutal learning curve, but once you have that perfect game, your totally hooked.

Check it out.
  • Tabasco 27 May 2011 08:19:56 5,780 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got this last night. Had a quick go and will continue again this weekend. Seems to be pretty good so far, but your first tank really does suck.
  • Tabasco 29 May 2011 19:17:56 5,780 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really really digging this now. Yes the first tanks are rubbish and you do need to grind a little but it is very satisfying once you get to the better tanks.

Going down the path to getting a KV1 (and later a IS-3), Jagdpather (and later a Jagdtiger) and a Tiger. Long long way to go though! :o)

Anyone who likes tanks (who doesn't right?) with an upgrade system which although grindy, is very well though out and you get to fight real people.

Great stuff!
  • dsmx 2 Jun 2011 12:29:26 7,589 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I'm in a vk3001(H) with the 88mm gun, brilliant tank so long as your not the kind of person who wants to be on the front line. While the turret has great armor it has a very slow turn rate however the hull is really weak but can turn really fast. So you use it for support and quick repositioning to plug holes in your teams lines.

I love it to bits, speeding along at 60 km/h knowing that you can outrun most other tanks is a nice feeling. If you can get hold of either version of the vk3001 I would recommend a go with it as it's the first tank I've come across where I feel I always have a chance with it in any battle I'm put in.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Tabasco 2 Jun 2011 17:31:26 5,780 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah that's the path I'll take once I complete the Panzer 4 bit. Still got a wee ways to go till I hit the Pz 4 though. Quite a bit to do to get the StugIII and the KV mind, the exp required is really starting to get very large!

Great game, surprised it doesn't get a mention on here more actually.

• Zaiz 3 Jun 2011 14:59:16 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm messing around on an M6 at the moment, popping unsuspecting people with a 90mm. Also have my Sherman, which is a fantastic little tank if there are no Pz4s about.
  • Tabasco 9 Jun 2011 00:12:37 5,780 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, only 2000 exp to go for a VK3001 H! \o/

Also have a KV - don't really like using, a T34 - great fun although made of paper and a Stug III which is great.

The main thing I've noticed is that the balancing is quite a bit off, but I guess it's all ok in the long run. Would like to see some more variety in the types of games to play though.

This has stopped me from playing everything else though - very very addictive.
  • Tabasco 28 Jun 2011 15:13:57 5,780 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Little update.

Got a really nice selection of tanks now -

T-43 is lovely, if expensive when you die.
    KV3 - same big gun as the 43, but will be upgrading to a IS very soon.
    SU85B - going up the Soviet TD tech, will have a 85 then 100 pretty quickly.
    Leopard - Love scouting and this is the best of the lot, unless you grind for a T54 or something like that.
    VK3001P - Great little tank, esp with the 88 strapped to it. About to upgrade to a VK3002DB though, can't wait to get a Panther - Fav tank!
    Tiger - nice but takes an age to bring up to speed.
    JagdPather - Totally love this. So so much fun.
    M4 - want to have a Sherman (M4A3E8) to make money with.

Had so much enjoyment out of this game, really have. I even bought a bit of gold so I could have an expanded garage. Best kill streak is only a 6 but that's a Topgun rating anyway :o)

Very surprising that this is not more popular on here if I'm honest.
  • DanB24 28 Jun 2011 23:30:14 1,896 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got it, played it a fair amount and had some fun but am getting cheesed off with feeling decidedly underpowered in my German tanks verses what seem like rather overpowered Russian tanks (The game's developed by Russians. Who'd have thought it lol).
    I love my little Leopard light tank but the pitiful firepower available for my Jagdpanzer IV has pretty much bought me to a frustrated halt.
    I'd still say it's a fun game if you don't go above about tier 5 and can overlook all the numerous things designed to make you spend real world money to make the WoT experience a slightly less frustrating one. :)
  • Tabasco 29 Jun 2011 11:47:33 5,780 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll agree with most of what you say :o)

The Jagdpanzer 4 is a huge grind and was filled with moments of sheer rage but once you get the JagdPather with the better 88 you can hurt most things very well. Hell, I even did the double grind of the M3 Lee to open up both meds and heavies in the US tech tree, THAT was nasty!

One of my early bugbears, limited battle types, is getting expanded too. At least a couple more types being added soon.
  • DanB24 14 Jul 2011 19:17:38 1,896 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool. :)
    Yeah I can imagine the Lee'd be a nightmare to fight in.

I hope the new game types come soon then. :)
  • Page

of 18 First / Last