The **MOST OFFICIALEST** World of Tanks thread Page 10

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• dsmx 9 Jul 2012 00:43:44 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's been my feeling with the stug, I just can't see the point in them anymore, turretless tank destroyers have been made pretty useless for the most part at this point. Especially when the pz4 does the same job as the lower tier tank destroyers on the german side and the panthers cover the upper parts. The only reason I still have my stug right now is I'm still trying to research up to the jagd then I'll just sell it and use the slot for something more fun.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Zaiz 9 Jul 2012 01:58:12 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The panthers have less DPS/alpha than the TDs, and the TDs have functioning armor, better weapons earlier, etc.

The Stug also has better frontal armor and a better gun than the PzIV with a smaller profile : D. The only weak point is the HP and the lack of a turret, but the vaderturm is not a turret.
  • Dr_Mech 9 Jul 2012 04:12:25 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rebought my M10 wolverine...I thought "Well I've already got a top tier heavy tank so there's no rush for the Maus but I would like the T95.."

Got my first call of 'being reported for cheating' today.

Look if you're stupid enough to charge down a TD with a BDR (probably the crappiest heavy tank at that tier early french tanks are blood awful from what I've seen, 1v1 I'll always beat them on a KV-1) let alone a TD with what is essentially a rapid fire cannon while you're on 300ish HP then you deserve to die.

He landed two shots on me, first one was a lucky hit while he was on the move and it ping off the armour anyway, the second one did hit home but I had fired like 4-5 shots into him by then.

Edit: Just about to get the M36 Slugger...but I'll be buggered if I'm not going to use free XP to unlock the 90mm gun first before buying it.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 04:14:11 09-07-2012
  • dsmx 9 Jul 2012 11:31:08 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The stug has the same gun as the pz4 and the frontal armor is no better either, yeah it's slightly slopped on the stugg but most of the tanks you fight will go straight through it anyway, pz4 with the top turret has 120mm of slightly slopped turret armor and so is capable of bouncing some shots off, I use both the stug and the pz4 the pz4 is miles better.

Or to put it another way I've had around 70 battles in the stug and it's never bounced or ricochet a shot in my memory and I know If I get shot it will always go straight through. PZ4 bounces and ricochet shots all the time I know which tank I feel safer in and I have never felt safe in the stug, ever.

Edited by dsmx at 11:34:37 09-07-2012

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Zaiz 9 Jul 2012 15:18:06 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Stug's L70 is vastly superior to the PzIV's gun, it has vastly superior treads, a better power to weight ratio and a tiny profile.

>___> I have been playing this game for a long, long time dude and let me tell you: The Stug is a better vehicle played well than the PzIV. The only real weakness is the lack of the vaderturm, but the vaderturm -does- reduce your camo and barely functions as a turret.
  • Dr_Mech 11 Jul 2012 00:20:02 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right got the T25AT and now working on the decent gun (the 105mm).

Can really tell the other 90mm was put there purely as a 'you have to waste XP on this very, very slight upgrade in order to progress' type roadblock.
  • Zaiz 11 Jul 2012 03:15:32 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a big deal in the med tree, but yeah not so much in that tree because the 105 is right next door. Fully upgraded, the T25AT is the most pure expression of speed and firepower in tier 7.
  • Dr_Mech 11 Jul 2012 04:45:34 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah was a massive slog through the two 90mm guns though, they lack the pen and damage to effectively 'scare' a tank closing in on you.

Now I've got the 105mm, the treads and now installed a medium gun rammer and camo netting and it's gone from being a 'mild annoyance' for tanks tier 7 and above to 'quite nasty'.

Just did a Murovanka encounter match, went up on that little hill on the north side for 90% of the match and just spent it picking off tanks trying to cap who had trouble spotting me in return.

Once the engine is done I'll be on my way to the T28, the mini-T95.

Edit: Christ you know a team is bad when two tank destroyers have more balls than the entire heavy section of team.

Tier 7 game and the Tiger P and Tiger spent the entire game camped behind the far right wall by the train tracks (no not watching the train tracks, actually camped behind the wall that leads into the train tracks...meaning they couldn't see a bloody thing)...

Hell I managed to (thanks to my nifty new engine) make a break through because they'd left that entire side undefended along with a T40, took out both of their artillery but was mercilessly hunted down by an SU-152.

If those two heavies had followed behind us, we'd have flanked the enemy team and got a win.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 08:05:56 11-07-2012
  • dsmx 11 Jul 2012 12:28:35 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is getting insane these days heavy tanks terrified to get shot at, teams who decide to all go down 1 flank leaving 3/4 of the map undefended and I'm always been put on those teams. It's driving me up the fucking wall it's also why I stopped playing the game 6 months ago because I'm actually very good and the matchmaking always ends up putting me with a bunch of retards who couldn't go thorough a door that was already open.

• Dr_Mech 11 Jul 2012 14:06:32 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I also think it's because in some countries the schools have kicked out already for the summer holidays...thus whereas normally you'd only get them for a short period (after school up until 9pm) now we're getting them all the time.

I admit, I've done some really stupid shit while playing but I've always tried to learn from those mistakes (like perhaps angling your KV-1 so much that they get a clear shot at your engine is angling a little bit too far...actually took me quite a few games to peg down how much was just enough and how much was 'free chance to cause me engine fire').

It seems like sometimes you just get people who never, ever learn from mistakes.

They don't check the minimap to see that there's a tank RIGHT BEHIND THEM!, they don't redeploy when needed if one flank has a significant disadvantage or worse they'll think their flank is 'quiet' and go to where the fighting at that particular moment is.

Saying that I have seen some clever stuff.

Was defending on Prokohrova (you know the map, train tracks one side, hedges that people love to just sit in for the entire match the other) during assault mode.

I think we all know how it goes by now, defending team sets up shop at choke points, we all do a dance, timer counts down, attacking team rush etc.

So I'd settled in for a fairly long wait...then the attacking team did something very clever.

They used a Maus as a shot absorbing mobile bunker to take all the hits as it crested the hill, while everyone was reloading (those lovely long high tier reload times), a flood of mediums came over the tracks and cleared us all out.

If it hadn't of been for our own mediums working as a wolfpack themselves and the artillery being really on the ball we'd have lost that match because the enemy team was pretty damn clever.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:10:25 11-07-2012
  • dsmx 11 Jul 2012 14:13:55 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can stand some stupidity but seriously how can an entire team not notice that 15 tanks are all going in 1 direction?

• Zaiz 11 Jul 2012 15:23:09 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wish all 15 tanks when in one direction in assault mode on attack.
  • Bleh 11 Jul 2012 16:14:58 233 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Added support for the British branch of the British tanks and premium medium tank Matilda Black Prince.

Taken from the 0.7.5 preliminary patch notes
  • dsmx 11 Jul 2012 16:56:21 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a huge expansion to the German tank tree, a whole new line of tank destroyers.

• Zaiz 11 Jul 2012 17:52:34 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's an expansion like that planned for every tree. The AMX-30 is being added, and they might fold and add the M60 to the US tree now that they've given the german tankers their much-whined about Leopard 1.

Protip: Leopard 1 was designed when people thought HEAT rounds/AGTMs were unstoppable so armor was heavily neglected in favor of speed. In fact, the ammo rack of the Leopard 1 is in the -nose of the tank-.

The Leopard 1 is going to be very...special. The AMX-30 will be a little better because of its hull slope will allow it to trigger the legendary "automatic bounce" angle very well.

This is true of the centurion as well. A slightly angled Centurion's upper glacis might be totally impenetrable.
  • dsmx 11 Jul 2012 18:02:26 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If this keeps up they'll end up putting every tank ever made into the game right up until the present day.

• Zaiz 11 Jul 2012 18:36:06 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I doubt it, the Cold War is for WoT 2.
  • dsmx 11 Jul 2012 18:38:18 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cold war basically started the second WW2 ended and we already have tanks from the 1950's in the game on the russian and french side.

• Zaiz 11 Jul 2012 19:11:18 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @dsmx I knew all that.

I meant stuff like the MBT-70.
  • Dr_Mech 11 Jul 2012 23:23:32 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm interesting, apparently according to a tweet by one of the devs the MM is being rebalanced so that the most you'll fight is +1 to you tier and the least you'll fight is -1 to your tier.

So no more tier 8 vs tier 5 matches.
  • dsmx 11 Jul 2012 23:32:17 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    aww but they were sometimes a laugh in my pz4, taking out lowes and kv5 in it was fun.

• Dr_Mech 12 Jul 2012 02:25:51 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know but still it's kind of how they should have done the Matchmaking from the start rather than all that weird balancing battle tiers malarky, it's the KISS principle, why make something so convoluted when a simple +1/-1 system is much easier and more fun for players who get shafted by being bottom tier.
  • Zaiz 12 Jul 2012 04:16:54 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Because the game was designed for a russian audience, which found the battle tiers system much more addicting than a US audience. The +/- 1 system is likely an experiment to see if the situation actually improves, and to combat MWO.

This system also isn't 100% truthful. What the game is doing is holding your tank in the matchmaking pool for longer so it can build a better match. If it takes too long, it'll probably put together whatever it needs to.
  • Dr_Mech 12 Jul 2012 06:04:45 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What is MWO by the way?

I'm assuming it's Mechwarrior online or is there another type deal coming out that has the focus on Tanks and the acronmyn MWO?

If it is Mechwarrior Online then...not sure how the two rank up, ones a sci-fi Mecha game and WoT is an arcadey Tank game.

I'm sure there is an overlap between Mecha lovers and Tank lovers but Mechwarrior Online isn't going to let me play tanks (though that would be kind of cool since there are tanks in the Mechwarrior universe, normally designed to carry bigger guns than Mechs due to the lack of needing to keep the weight limit down)

Edit:

Alright for funsies...worse tank you've played?

While I would like to say the VK3001P, I hated the PZ38NA more, atleast the VK3001P had a little shine too it when elited.

Built to be a scout, has crap speed and turning circle (meaning it sucks for scouting) and awful guns where it is regularly put up against tanks that can 1 shot it.

2nd Edit:

I swear the MM system likes to 'balance things out', had three really good games on the T25AT and the Churchill then suddenly...five matches filled with complete noobs (2 Churchill, 3 T25AT).

I know that the 'punishing you for doing well' is suppose to be a myth but my god does it feel like its true at times.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 09:05:26 12-07-2012
  • dsmx 12 Jul 2012 11:40:14 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Worse tank I've played, I was going to say the vk3001p but statistics tend not to lie and my win rate with it is 52% so I must be doing something right with it. But that's only when you get the 88mm on it.

According to the statistics page I'm going to have to side with the M8A1 mainly because I have a win rate of 40% in it and yet I have the ace tanker award on it.

• Zaiz 12 Jul 2012 16:51:41 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    VK3001H. No armor, gun is okay, not particularly maneuverable. It really is one of the most god-awful tanks in the game. The VK3601H is an entirely different beasty.

Also, messing around in the test server. New MM is lovely, and the T95 replacement doesn't appear to stack up.
  • dsmx 12 Jul 2012 17:07:28 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish I could agree with you on that but I did 150 battles in the vk3001H and managed a 59% win rate in it. No idea how but that's what the game statistics say.

• Zaiz 13 Jul 2012 02:06:33 370 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dr_Mech 13 Jul 2012 11:26:57 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh got the T28 and its hilarious.

I think its because the T28 is a rarity (I think I see one every 100 battles or so) that people have no clue what to do against it.

I've had people stop dead in their tracks to fire at me from the front, hell I even had a Tiger II, a KV-5 and a Tiger all trying to hit me while I just stood there and generally caused damage (haven't got the 120mm gun yet though but I am close).

I think they just see a Tank destroyer and go "ooh easy kills..." then proceed to wonder why their shots are bouncing off.
  • dsmx 13 Jul 2012 14:16:54 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems weird you would of thought people would instinctively know that the frontal armour is almost always the thickest.

• Page

of 18 First / Last