I want to try snowboarding...

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Carlo 17 Feb 2010 11:00:10 18,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seeing the Olympics makes me want to try it out, however I live in London.

I was a fairly competent skate boarder years ago.

How can I try it out?

PSN ID: Djini

• Rankin 17 Feb 2010 11:03:37 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I learnt at xscape in Milton Keynes (xscape).

They taught me the basics nicely over a couple of sessions and I've been on a few boarding weekends since. I learnt a hell of a lot more out on the slopes to be honest, but you have to start somewhere :-)
  • KingOfTheC 17 Feb 2010 11:05:06 288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't really know London too well but when I was working near Heathrow last year we went to Hemel Hempstead because there was an indoor slope there.

Seemed pretty decent to me, they only built it last year.

Next closest to you would be Milton Keynes. Alternatively, get a flight up to one of the Scottish mountains and have a long weekend up at Cairngorm or something.

Edit: They do lessons and stuff there and you can rent the equipment etc there too.
  • Trane 17 Feb 2010 11:09:14 4,058 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just came back from Bulgaria (Borovets) - Can't recommend it enough, 600 got me a week half board, flights/transfers, equipment hire, tuition and insurance.

If you want to try it out just go out and do it, I don't know anyone that's tried it and didn't enjoy.
  • mrpon 17 Feb 2010 11:10:39 29,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Get some mates and book a wee's holiday in the alps and join a ski school for the week...
    Consoles on the brain ecosse ;)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• KingOfTheC 17 Feb 2010 11:13:34 288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Just came back from Bulgaria (Borovets) - Can't recommend it enough, 600 got me a week half board, flights/transfers, equipment hire, tuition and insurance.

If you want to try it out just go out and do it, I don't know anyone that's tried it and didn't enjoy.

This is true to be fair - still probably worth having one quick lesson in the UK to see how it grabs you (it will - you'll be buying loads of gear instantly).

Worth checking out www.snowboardclub.co.uk for beginners guides and what's best to do / use etc.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 17 Feb 2010 11:14:24 7,014 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best thing to do is book a week away, then go to a indoor/dry ski slope for a couple of lessons firsts. This means when you get to the proper slopes you won't spend the first few days on your arse and consequently will enjoy the experience more!
  • Trane 17 Feb 2010 11:15:05 4,058 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I should mention, I was skiing on my holiday, already being a competent skiier I only took half my tuition time just to get my carving up to scratch.

I've tried boarding but it's much more difficult to begin with IMO, skiing is more accomodating for a beginner - but of course both are great once you get the hang of it.

Be prepared to spend about 45% of your time on your ass, 45% of your time walking - and the remaining 10% should be split between catching lifts and boarding :)
  • Trane 17 Feb 2010 11:15:37 4,058 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Best thing to do is book a week away, then go to a indoor/dry ski slope for a couple of lessons firsts. This means when you get to the proper slopes you won't spend the first few days on your arse and consequently will enjoy the experience more!

+1 to this.
  • Carlo 17 Feb 2010 11:17:23 18,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a couple of days off next week (between this job and my new one) so maybe I'll take a lesson in Hemel or Milton Keynes and see if I like it.

Is one better than the other? They are both reachable but Hemel is closer...

Taking a week and fllying off sounds good, but I think I should try it out first! Do they supply equipment (clothing?)?

PSN ID: Djini

• Load_2.0 17 Feb 2010 11:17:51 19,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A plank, a hill and a lot of grease.
  • RobotHobo 17 Feb 2010 11:18:32 115 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:

Ah cool. I'm off to Borovets on the 26th. I'd be very grateful if you could share your experience.

Where did you hire your stuff from, how much was it and was it any good? What runs did you do? What was the nightlife/food like. Loads of questions I know but I'd really appreciate your views.

Thanks
  • Alastair 17 Feb 2010 11:19:27 16,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you can afford it, I would recommend getting one to one lessons.
    Having joined a few ski schools for snow boarding I found the instructor did loads of talking in French, then turned to me and said 'Ok Alastair, we'll go down here and make a few turns'

I like boarding, but I'm so much better at skiing.
  • Trane 17 Feb 2010 11:20:23 4,058 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    I've got a couple of days off next week (between this job and my new one) so maybe I'll take a lesson in Hemel or Milton Keynes and see if I like it.

Taking a week and fllying off sounds good, but I think I should try it out first! Do they supply equipment (clothing?)?

You'll need your own clothing, you could always hire it to save a few quid short term.

Jacket/Pants/Thermal top+bottom and a few spare top layers to account for colder weather. I was fine at -6 with my thermal top/polar neck and jacket.

Plus the ancillaries (i.e) Tube Socks/Gloves/Hat/Goggles/Sun protection etc
  • KingOfTheC 17 Feb 2010 11:21:05 288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:

I don't know about Hemel, but I know the Castleford (Leeds) Xscape lets you rent clothing so would assume that Milton Keynes does too.

I've been to both Hemel and MK, and I think I liked Hemel best just because it was newer.
  • RobotHobo 17 Feb 2010 11:21:38 115 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:

Hemel is better I reckon. It's newer so the equipment is therefore in better condition. I also think they look after the slope better, and MK has those concrete pillars down the middle which are a pain. Hemel is probably a bit more expensive though.
  • Trane 17 Feb 2010 11:21:45 4,058 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you meant do the guys at ski centres over here supply clothing....I'm not sure I've never used an indoor centre - but you shouldn't need much...
  • DaM 17 Feb 2010 11:23:11 13,435 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I want to try the luge...or bobsleigh. Probably until the 4th bend anyway when I would crap myself.
  • Alastair 17 Feb 2010 11:23:26 16,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    If you meant do the guys at ski centres over here supply clothing....I'm not sure I've never used an indoor centre - but you shouldn't need much...

I doubt they do. But as you'll probably only be in there for an hour I reckon you could get away with whatever you'd wear to go sledging...
  • Rankin 17 Feb 2010 11:24:45 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've only ever been to MK so I can't really compare the two I'm afraid. The lessons I got there were good though, they certainly set me up for going out on the slopes for real so I'd recommend them.
  • figgis 17 Feb 2010 11:25:11 7,381 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:

Hemel's better than Milton Keynes, but there's nothing in it really. Don't worry about thermals etc as they are only minus -1.5deg.

I should really learn to Snowboard or Ski as I helped design both places.
  • DaM 17 Feb 2010 11:31:31 13,435 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    I should really learn to Snowboard or Ski as I helped design both places.

And we do the lanyards - EG, building Britain :)

I would definitely go to one of these places rather than a dry slope. I have been to Borovets too, but it was 10 yrs, so my info is probably out of date. I remember going snow mobiling, through a forest at night, which was fantastic, do that if you get a chance.
    Plus you could buy bottles of Bulgarian tequila for about 70p.
  • Trane 17 Feb 2010 11:31:55 4,058 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobotHobo wrote:
    Trane wrote:

Ah cool. I'm off to Borovets on the 26th. I'd be very grateful if you could share your experience.

Where did you hire your stuff from, how much was it and was it any good? What runs did you do? What was the nightlife/food like. Loads of questions I know but I'd really appreciate your views.

Thanks

Hi mate,

I stayed in a large hotel (Hotel Samokov) which had it's own ski school and equipment hire bundled in.

If you don't have that then I imagine you'll use the borosport guys who will sort out your equipment and an instructor for you, they have a good reputation too. Not too sure about prices.

Nightlife was good actually, Francko's was always good for watching sport and had decent food. Best places to eat IMO were Mamacitas (Mexican - found on the main street) and Elite Bistro (near the gondola base station) which does awesome yet cheap homecooked stuff, they cook their burgers/pizzas/sausages etc on an open fire.

My favourite runs were on the Yastrabetz side (mainly reds) heading down from the top of the gondola to the four man chairlift (just below the gondola mid station) was brilliant.

Check the piste map and see if that makes sense!
  • THFourteen 17 Feb 2010 11:34:00 34,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boarding nooooo

looks like a whole world of pain for a beginner.

skiing is much easier to learn i reckon
  • Rankin 17 Feb 2010 11:44:42 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it takes you 5 attempts to get on a drag lift you should probably just walk up tbh :-)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous