Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 202

• Page

of 207 First / Last

• mrpon 15 Feb 2014 11:15:51 29,190 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    10k in the rain on course for 48min. iPod reset near the end.

Shat.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Findus 22 Feb 2014 15:17:00 144 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First half marathon training continues.

11 miler in 1:39 which I was chuffed about, four weeks out and the next 2 weeks training goes into brutal territory 36 miles next week 37 afterwards for "peak week". Nike then gives me a 25 miler taper week.

What are your tapering tips? 4 weeks to go.

Edited by Findus at 15:17:32 22-02-2014
  • BravoGolf Moderator 22 Feb 2014 18:10:29 12,746 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice! They be some great times and distances.
  • Gurgy 27 Feb 2014 10:05:34 2,613 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just a heads up that Mrpon has kindly set up a new March challenge and has sent invites out.
  • smoothpete 27 Feb 2014 10:08:25 31,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You'll probably get that done in like two days again, right?
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Feb 2014 10:31:32 24,870 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I'm out of the London marathon (again).

I'm slowly realising that my body is not made for marathon runs. I can get up to 13-14 miles, but always, ALWAYS end up hurting something, no matter how slowly I've built up my training, done stretches/exercises, etc.

Think I'm going to take a few weeks off to recover (hamstring is fucked) then try and find a local half-marathon to aim for.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• smoothpete 27 Feb 2014 10:51:15 31,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was quite pleased to have finished the February challenge, given that I had chicken pox in the first week, and how shite the weather has been.
  • mrpon 27 Feb 2014 11:23:16 29,190 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Mornings are getting brighter now so I think I can up my runs. Congrats to all five finishers this month! I seriously need to up my game, finally bought some new Nike+ trainers last weekend so I can do away with the "CosmicFuzzFix" under the lapel :D

Looks like we may have an old friend participating next month!

Happy running guys.

• Zomoniac 28 Feb 2014 08:59:42 7,852 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

I'm slowly realising that my body is not made for marathon runs. I can get up to 13-14 miles, but always, ALWAYS end up hurting something, no matter how slowly I've built up my training, done stretches/exercises, etc.

Think I'm going to take a few weeks off to recover (hamstring is fucked) then try and find a local half-marathon to aim for.
    I know that one. I'm not built for distance running either, I only took it up because I was so fat and needed an effective way to shift it and it just seemed to stick as part of my routine. I have very short legs for my height (5'11.5", 31" inside leg), and naturally quite big thighs, but shit tendons. It seems no matter how often I do long runs, I'll always be better over 100m than 10,000m because it just seems to better suit my shape. My tendons will not accommodate regular marathons, and I suspect nothing I do will make them.
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Feb 2014 09:06:43 24,870 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

I know that one. I'm not built for distance running either, I only took it up because I was so fat and needed an effective way to shift it and it just seemed to stick as part of my routine. I have very short legs for my height (5'11.5", 31" inside leg), and naturally quite big thighs, but shit tendons. It seems no matter how often I do long runs, I'll always be better over 100m than 10,000m because it just seems to better suit my shape. My tendons will not accommodate regular marathons, and I suspect nothing I do will make them.
    Yeah, I think some people are just built for it and some people aren't. TBH I bloody hated the super long runs at times, mainly because of stress that I was going to hurt myself, so I'm much happier now I've decided to just stop doing it. Gutted I won't be able to do the marathon, as it's something I've wanted to do for ages, but them's the breaks.

It's as you say though, find what works for you and what your limits are. Push yourself of course, but not to the point of injury.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Findus 1 Mar 2014 11:32:40 144 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whoop made up. 12 miles in. 1:45:21.

On course now for a sub 2 hour for my first half, although the last mile was tough. I've one more long run next Saturday which will be going into unchartered territory for me as it will be my first 13 miler.
  • Gurgy 2 Mar 2014 18:32:54 2,613 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done Findus.

I'm just on my way home from my race today.
    Will sync my run when I'm in tonight. -- just a tad under 62k should start my challenge off nicely.
  • AccidentProne 2 Mar 2014 18:57:13 1,168 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done chaps.

That your first ultra Gurgy? How'd you find it compared to a marathon? What sort of pace did you go at?

I've not run properly in weeks now. Was ill a while back, but kept on running through it, which was stupid! Heart rate has been fucked ever since. Resting rate is anywhere between 70 and 100, it's usually 50. I now hit max heart rate (over 185) in less than 1km on the few runs I've attempted since. I normally only get close to that on hill sprints or after much longer distances. Pulled out of next week's half marathon and worrying about my May marathon now too.

Dr just told me to take it easy on the running for a while. I'm booked in for an ECG next week though. Blood pressure and everything else seems normal, just a stupidly high heart rate. Anyone suffered with anything similar?
  • Gurgy 2 Mar 2014 19:38:13 2,613 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Well done chaps.

That your first ultra Gurgy? How'd you find it compared to a marathon? What sort of pace did you go at?
    Yes it was a 38 mile Trail Ultra. Can't say it really compared with a road marathon - totally different beasts. Maybe if you do a Trail Marathon first it may help easy you into the Ultra.

TBH pace ended up being a nightmare.
    I abandoned all time plans st half way mark as my road pace meant nothing.
    It was about 25 mile of easy trail with 5 mile of cross country and 8 miles of deep muddy farmers fields that are usually used for cows. I ended up just aiming to complete it. Took 8 hours in the end !

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 07:27:09 03-03-2014
  • Gurgy 2 Mar 2014 19:59:20 2,613 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh it was self navigate too although this was only really needed for about 10 miles of it. So you do spend time stood still trying to work out which muddy field to run through next. And I've never climbed so many stiles in my life.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 2 Mar 2014 22:21:45 12,746 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, seriously impressive!

AP - could be a bit of a cold or something
  • Gurgy 3 Mar 2014 07:32:31 2,613 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow my legs are shot this morning. Walking like a cowboy and going down stairs is hard !

After I'd ran my last Marathon I remember reading somewhere that it was now something like 1% of people have now done a Marathon. This figure depressed me as I wanted to be a bit more unique. So hand on heart that was my motivation to try an Ultra.

I'd guess that it must be 0.1% (or hopefully less) that have done an Ultra. So that pleases me !

I'm an Ultra baby.
  • Saucy 3 Mar 2014 10:45:51 2,604 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ReGuRgIt8oR Nice one! Thoroughly impressed. I'd be amazing if the figure is as high as 0.1%, I know lots of people who've done marathons, but no one who's gone further. I'd like to do an ultra one day, but I won't try until I've figured out how to run a good marathon.

Having said that, at the moment I'm really enjoying 5k's at the moment, managed to nip another few seconds off my PB on Saturday, down to 18.40.
  • Saucy 3 Mar 2014 10:47:22 2,604 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @AccidentProne Hope you're back out on the roads soon, hopefully it's just a short term thing.
  • Saucy 12 Mar 2014 16:25:45 2,604 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Everyone enjoying the sunny weather? Good to get out in just the shorts and t shirt the lunchtime. :cool:
  • Gurgy 12 Mar 2014 20:23:31 2,613 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes the weather has changed a bit this week. Although I will miss my frosty morning runs - I think they are my favourite runs.
  • Lotos8ter 16 Mar 2014 08:11:42 2,361 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Morning all.
    Cheers to mrpon for the Challenge invite. I went on my first run in about 3 years this morning and then accepted the EG challenge so I'm still on zero. I'll never be troubling some of your distances but I need to get fitter again, definitely miss that sense of well being.
    Also after years of scowling at iPhone owners, I've gone and bought one, so no more sensors in shoes and the whole Nike+ thing seems marvellous now with GPS and all integrated on the phone.
    Cheers

Fiat Lux

• mrpon 16 Mar 2014 08:17:03 29,190 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Our founder!

/kneels

• Lotos8ter 16 Mar 2014 14:59:46 2,361 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Our founder!

/kneels
    /soaks up adoration

Nah, it wasn't me. Twas Milknoodle who got his Mum to wash his trainers if I remember rightly.

/bless

Fiat Lux

• mrpon 16 Mar 2014 15:01:51 29,190 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, the sign-off on the OP threw me a bit, thought it was a re-reg.

• Deleted user 16 March 2014 21:12:52
    @ReGuRgIt8oR Reading your Ultra comments with interest. I've only got three events lined up this year (Leeds Half, Wales trail Marathon and the Thunder Run) but I'm super-interested in doing an Ultra so I'm thinking of bumping up training to do the Leeds Country Way (62 miles) in August/September.

I'm already using it as part of my training route for long runs and whilst it's 90% off-road the route never moves more than a few hundred yards from public transport that'll get you back to civilisation.

So yeah, thinking of joining your ranks by the end of summer :-)
  • Gurgy 16 Mar 2014 21:54:02 2,613 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Your race program sounds fun Rhythm.

A 62 miler is a serious step up though. Is that a 1 or 2 day run ?

I'm pondering doing the Gritstone Grind Trail Ultra in early Sept.

http://beyondmarathon.com/gritstone-grind/

It's a 34 miler so shorter than my recent one but this one has 4 decent hills in it. On my recent ultra I noticed some people were running in 2's, 3's or 4's and I think it helped them. Someone to run with, help with motivation/support and share the navigation load.

So if you or anyone else fancies doing the Gritstone Trail as a "couple " let me know.

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 21:58:11 16-03-2014
  • Deleted user 17 March 2014 09:18:39
    It's a single run. 100km, so same distance as the London to Brighton run. A local club uses the trail for a formal race but only on a relay basis - I reckon it's do-able in about 15 hours, so set off at 6am, get back for 9pm

That Gritstone Grind looks pretty nifty, actually. Let me check some dates, I might be up for that. It's relatively local and cheap too!

Edited by Rhythm at 09:23:09 17-03-2014
  • Saucy 17 Mar 2014 10:43:38 2,604 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultras, very impressive, although I think I'll you chaps to it.

I've recently joined a running club, so my main focus at the moment, is building up to the summer 10k league they have. But like Rhythm, I'm also looking forward to the Leeds Half and the Thunder Run.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2014 22:50:25
    @ReGuRgIt8oR Right, I'm in. Booked and paid up :-)
  • Page

of 207 First / Last