Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 182

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• AccidentProne 22 Jul 2013 17:24:29 1,162 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done SG.

I'm massively lacking in motivation at the moment. Missed my long weekend run thanks to a boozey do, and some ongoing tendon pain means I've not really stuck to my training plan of late.

Had planned on making up for it with a long run tonight, but a combination of the hot weather and the fact it's flying ant day are making it rather hard to drag my lazy arse out the door.
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Jul 2013 17:35:22 23,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slowly started getting back into running. Did a 2 miler today, was pretty spent afterwards. Can't believe I was doing sixteen miles at one time! London marathon training begins now...

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• BravoGolf Moderator 22 Jul 2013 22:08:10 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well done SG!
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Jul 2013 22:25:28 23,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye good effort mate. Interesting how no watch made such a difference too. I'd be so pissed if I couldn't track myself.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• captainlk 22 Jul 2013 23:43:04 33 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can anyone run 5k in under 20 minutes? I am a relative beginner but can now do it in just under 23 mins which I'm happy about, but it would be a good achievement to get it under 20.

For people who do 5k fun runs is it quite common for people to get under 20 mins? I'm just not sure how feasible it is.
  • Kafeen 23 Jul 2013 00:30:44 552 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looking at the times for the latest local 5k Parkrun for my area, the fastest time was just over 16 minutes, so its certainly possible.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 23 Jul 2013 08:51:05 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    captainlk wrote:
    Can anyone run 5k in under 20 minutes? I am a relative beginner but can now do it in just under 23 mins which I'm happy about, but it would be a good achievement to get it under 20.

For people who do 5k fun runs is it quite common for people to get under 20 mins? I'm just not sure how feasible it is.
    That's impressive that you're already down to that time
  • AccidentProne 23 Jul 2013 09:01:10 1,162 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think there were a few in this thread that have managed sub 20 5ks. Destria, mrpon, maybe a few others? It's certainly not particularly common though. In my local park run there's usually just 10-15 that manage it most weeks, out of 200ish entrants.

Got my time down to 21:37 last park run, but I rarely run just 5k at the moment. When my next marathon's out the way I'll probably concentrate on speed for a bit. Would love to get under 20mins too.
  • SaucyGeoff 23 Jul 2013 09:11:05 2,574 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers guys.

@AccidentProne Yeah, the heat meant my marathon training was faultering as well, so only entered the half late last week. as I thought it would force me to get out for a decent run. Going to look for some other events over the next couple of months.

On 5k, I clocked a 19.38 earlier in the year! It was a big ambition that I probably spent about a 4 weeks training specifically for, I knocked my time down from 21.30 in that time. Think the hard part was telling myself to go off fast enough. Starting near the front with the fast guys helped. Was chuffed to bits when I did it. It's doable, but probably not if your eye is mainly on the marathon.
  • captainlk 23 Jul 2013 12:43:00 33 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks BravoGolf

Yeah, it does seems hard but attainable. I think I'll try running 5k three times a week then go from there.

Good work SaucyGeoff. Must've felt good.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 23 Jul 2013 13:24:15 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, now I want to get out there and go for a run. Didn't bring my gear though :)
  • Findus 23 Jul 2013 20:20:04 144 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Although I don't remember them.

But Nike challenges are back in latest update.

Go go go
  • mrpon 23 Jul 2013 21:37:39 28,738 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    O_O

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mrpon 23 Jul 2013 21:57:37 28,738 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, a bit shit really. You can only create a set distance challenge, first to cross the finish line wins. No speed or most mile challenges. Plus you can only invite friends who have upgraded apparently.

This is all on the app, website is still showing the old stuff.

• AccidentProne 24 Jul 2013 09:24:10 1,162 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't use the app anymore, just convert my Garmin times and upload them to Nike+. I assume that's going to rule me out of the challenges then if it's all done in the app now :(
  • mrpon 24 Jul 2013 09:31:34 28,738 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could work AP, apparently you have to accept the challenges on the app, but then you're free to use any other Nike+ device to run with. I'm guessing if your existing convert method syncs correctly, it might just register on the challenge.

Only one way to find out...

• thedaveeyres 24 Jul 2013 09:56:55 10,850 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm at a point in my feeble existence where I either shape up or keel over at some unspecified point in the near future so I've gone and bought some proper running trainers, a silly armband thing for my iPhone and downloaded the Nike+ app (also the Runtastic one - no idea which is better). So my question is, what next (besides just running till I puke)? Is there any point getting involved with the Nike+ challenge stuff? If so, how? Do I need to add in an EG group or something?

Edited by thedaveeyres at 09:57:59 24-07-2013

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• AccidentProne 24 Jul 2013 10:12:08 1,162 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's no group as such, and since the changes last year, the challenges haven't really been working.

From what I've seen of the updated app, all it boils down to at the moment is setting a target distance and racing there over a specified time. There's still weekly / monthly leaderboards, but all the functionality now requires you to have added folks to your friends list.

Feel free to add me http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/AccidentProne/ Should be a few other EG types on my friends list. Annoyingly, it seems to display real names rather than usernames half the time, though the url should have the username if you're trying to figure out who's who.
  • thedaveeyres 24 Jul 2013 10:15:50 10,850 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ta, will do.

If anyone wants to add me: http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/thedaveeyres/

I'm waiting on my trainers being delivered and then I've got a week away on my hols so I might not be that active for a week or so, but then the plan is to cane it.

Edited by thedaveeyres at 10:21:23 24-07-2013

D****** ******r

• Zomoniac 24 Jul 2013 10:28:48 7,822 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is anyone on this group called Nick? Just had a friend request and not sure if it's a randomer.
  • AccidentProne 24 Jul 2013 10:30:32 1,162 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depending on your current level of fitness, you might want to start with a couch to 5k type plan. A friend who was pretty badly out of shape started one recently, with the intention of running the full 5k before he turns 40. Looks to be on track for it at the moment.
  • thedaveeyres 24 Jul 2013 10:40:09 10,850 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zomoniac It's me. Hello...

I won't be offended if you say no... much. :(

D****** ******r

• thedaveeyres 24 Jul 2013 10:45:51 10,850 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AccidentProne I'm not quite couch potato level, but probably closer to that than any kind of active benchmark so the couch to 5k plan sounds like a great idea. Ta.

D****** ******r

• Vortex808 24 Jul 2013 10:46:17 7,060 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have just tried to add you too. A few more human runners, unlike regurgitator and accidentprone's insane mileage would be most welcome!

I'm just jealous since my family commitments don't let me run & cycle anything like as much as I'd like anymore. :(
  • thedaveeyres 24 Jul 2013 10:57:46 10,850 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, added. I'll definitely be 'human'.

D****** ******r

• Zomoniac 24 Jul 2013 11:01:04 7,822 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @thedaveeyres that's alright then. As long as it's not some peculiar unknown stalking me :)
  • thedaveeyres 24 Jul 2013 11:13:17 10,850 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, it's a peculiar known. Cheers.

D****** ******r

• AccidentProne 24 Jul 2013 12:16:38 1,162 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Zomoniac Just sent you a request too, hope that's ok? Thought I had most of the folks from this thread added already, but clearly not.

Anyone else, feel free to add me too - http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/AccidentProne/ Shows my user name as Matt Hart though for some annoying reason...
  • mrpon 24 Jul 2013 12:36:12 28,738 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think most people have added me, however I've only 6 geezers who have upgraded to the latest Nike+ running release. Remember, you'll need to update to the latest iOS Nike+ Running app to accept any challenges.

Shall one of us set one up for August start? Any ideas on a distance? Gurgy has it in the bag of course ;)

• Page

of 206 First / Last