• Findus 10 Jul 2013 13:24:04 138 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well some more looking I found this.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326
  • AccidentProne 10 Jul 2013 14:27:59 1,127 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, that probably describes the weird acidy taste I used to get too. Haven't had it for a while, which I think is mostly down to taking gels and sports drinks on longer runs.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Jul 2013 17:00:21 21,195 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm going for my first proper run tonight after getting insoles for my fallen arch. Wish me luck!

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• BravoGolf Moderator 11 Jul 2013 13:53:13 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How'd your run go Cosmic? I went for a quick 4k after doing the marathon a week and a bit ago and a really long cycle since. It was in a nice woodland, felt like being in a desert in parts it was so very hot. For some reason I find running in the afternoon very lethargic, might because I've eaten or something. Think I'm a morning run person.
  • Zomoniac 11 Jul 2013 14:05:44 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think I'm going to sit out this Sunday's Leeds 10k. After a planned few weeks of dedicated training I had a bad allergic reaction so my eye swelled up to the size of my face, then as soon as that settled I got an E. Coli infection and was house-ridden until yesterday. Consequently I've done nothing in a couple of months and I suspect it would only end very badly. Bah humbug.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 11 Jul 2013 21:31:46 2,553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yikes. Bad luck - hope you get back on the road soon.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Jul 2013 06:35:18 21,195 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    How'd your run go Cosmic? I went for a quick 4k after doing the marathon a week and a bit ago and a really long cycle since. It was in a nice woodland, felt like being in a desert in parts it was so very hot. For some reason I find running in the afternoon very lethargic, might because I've eaten or something. Think I'm a morning run person.
    It was good thanks. Only did 2 miles, but was fairly knackered by the end. Scary how a couple of months of no running can drop your fitness levels. Hopefully get back up quickly, although I'm taking it slow anyway to avoid another injury.

Only issue I had after my run was that my right shin was aching. I've noticed the shin bones on the other legs seem to curve slightly outwards - anything to worry about?

• CosmicFuzz 12 Jul 2013 06:35:40 21,195 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And sorry to hear that Zom!

• BravoGolf Moderator 12 Jul 2013 22:48:12 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

It was good thanks. Only did 2 miles, but was fairly knackered by the end. Scary how a couple of months of no running can drop your fitness levels. Hopefully get back up quickly, although I'm taking it slow anyway to avoid another injury.

Only issue I had after my run was that my right shin was aching. I've noticed the shin bones on the other legs seem to curve slightly outwards - anything to worry about?
    Can't imagine so. Your aching shin may be just be the usual ache after not running for a while, or maybe technique needs a little work (or your runners need changing)
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 14 Jul 2013 08:50:12 2,553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've completed my Tour of Merseyside run.

The official Results use gun times (first time I've encountered this) but my cumulative Chip Times come to 7 hours and 9 mins for the 52 miles.

I also just made the top half of the leaderboard with the gun times so was very happy about that.

It was a great event. Very well organised, good atmosphere and as you see the same faces each day the post race banter was great too.

I've put my name on the Pre booking list for next years event as I can only see this event growing to be much bigger and higher profile. This years entrants all appear to be delighted with it.

Can only recommend such an event so if there's something similar near you then give it a go.
  • Findus 15 Jul 2013 09:27:03 138 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well done @ReGuRgIt8oR.

Also Well done BTR Liverpool. If my experience with the Tunnel 10K was to go by then I have no doubt it would be well organised.

same cannot be said for the organisers of the we Love Manchester 10K I took part yesterday.

First of all the course markers where not even close to what my Nike was saying and Nike is usually accurate enough but when the markers where way off I got a bit concerned. Then had one drink station at 6K.

Then we had to queue for 30 minutes after we finished for a cheap rucksack which contained...Wait for it a sample of Soreen, A sample of shampoo and a sample of toothpaste.. well worth the £18 entry fee. Then there was a leaflet by the same organisers for a 10K at Aintree Racecourse. Guess what the prize is for this event? The same rucksack as the event I have just taken part in. When the event had a big brand such as KSwiss in it then I was expecting at least a t-shirt, so deffo one to avoid.

As for my run well despite the heat and the fact I found five miles a struggle on tuesday I finished in 57:53 which I was made up with on tope of the conditions, however with the course as it was it's hard to fully be 100% satisfied when you feel the course was not measured correctly.

Also some sad news after 570K on these running shoes it's time to put them out to pasture. I have bad flat feet and I felt my arches hurt after the run for the first time and also my Nike App told me it was time to retire my shoe. So I have some new Asics (Gel revolution 11) on order.

No events planned in August. So next up is the Natterjack 10K in September in Southport. :)

Edited by Findus at 09:29:22 15-07-2013

Edited by Findus at 09:31:13 15-07-2013
  • BravoGolf Moderator 15 Jul 2013 23:44:35 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That sucks Findus. Mad they only had one water drink station in this heat. I've been running a year and a month and passed my 1,000km mark yesterday on a fantastic run amongst random side roads and what not :) Need to change my Asics too
  • AccidentProne 16 Jul 2013 13:19:32 1,127 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How often do you folks replace your running shoes then? Nike+ is recommending I replace mine after just 520km or so, I always thought 500 miles was nearer the end of their life?

Been thinking I need to break in a new pair soonish, ahead of my marathon in September, but figured I still had a fair bit of life left in my current pair. I have retired shoes early before after getting injured, or in one case they were falling to bits. But these shoes feel fine to me still. Don't want to keep going and suddenly end up injured though...
  • MontyBrewster 16 Jul 2013 15:38:01 253 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If they feel ok then carry on using them.

Some shoes i've binned after 100 miles, on average probably about 250 miles but i'm a heavy striker running on road/pavements. It's different for every person and every shoe. I tend to have several pairs on the go at once depending on the type of session i'm doing.

If you start getting aches and pains out of the blue on regular runs, then it's time to bin them.
  • AccidentProne 16 Jul 2013 15:47:27 1,127 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got three pairs on the go at the moment, but two of them are around the 500km mark. The others are only at 350km, but as I got injured in them a while back, I'm a bit nervous about using them for anything beyond treadmill runs.

Reckon I'll bite the bullet and grab a new pair regardless. I'll need them before too long anyway. I'm a bit of a stampy heavy striker too, so don't really expect to get the full 500miles out of them.
  • mrpon 16 Jul 2013 16:44:49 27,636 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I seriously need to change mine, I'm on 900 miles! Still using the ones from the start of this thread!!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Zomoniac 16 Jul 2013 16:52:28 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine have had about 600km on them and still look new! Though tbf I suspect 80% of that use has been on treadmills. I'm guessing treadmilling will make them last a lot longer?
  • BravoGolf Moderator 16 Jul 2013 20:52:49 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need to get myself some new socks again. What do you recommend? I think last time I got 1000 mile socks but the site is horrible ... :)

I'd also love to get a runners that don't get wet when running through grass trails and the like. Anything you recommend?
  • JuanKerr 16 Jul 2013 22:15:56 36,094 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Need to get myself some new running shoes - I'm planning to do a mixture of road/gentle off-road running., so not sure what to go for. Any recommendations?
  • BravoGolf Moderator 16 Jul 2013 22:24:34 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Need to get myself some new running shoes - I'm planning to do a mixture of road/gentle off-road running., so not sure what to go for. Any recommendations?
    Have you had a pair fitted before? Not sure what brand to recommend, I've only ever used the one pair of Asics GT 2170 but they were fitted based on my arches. I'd recommend that you at least have a pair fitted to your foot shape!
  • Zomoniac 16 Jul 2013 22:53:29 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    I need to get myself some new socks again. What do you recommend? I think last time I got 1000 mile socks but the site is horrible ... :)

I'd also love to get a runners that don't get wet when running through grass trails and the like. Anything you recommend?
    I use these, they do a fine job.

Edited by Zomoniac at 22:53:57 16-07-2013
  • Zomoniac 16 Jul 2013 22:54:45 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When did a href tags stop working? On phone so don't have all the button option thingies. Oh well.
  • JuanKerr 16 Jul 2013 23:01:34 36,094 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, I've not had a gait analysis done before, but I think I might for this pair - there's a local shop in town that does them. After the agony of marathon training, I'm planning on concentrating on 5 and 10 km runs. Gonna start by aiming to go sub 20 mins for 5 km and then see if I can go sub 40 mins for 10 km (very much doubt I'll be able to do it, but fuck it, gotta set my sights high!).
  • AccidentProne 16 Jul 2013 23:33:26 1,127 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JuanKerr Are you Cambridge based? Seem to remember you running the Cambridge half last year at least. If you are, Advance Performance on Huntington Road are pretty good for gait analysis. Not the cheapest for shoes mind, but it's worth doing at least once I reckon.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 17 Jul 2013 08:49:41 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Zomoniac Cool, thanks for that :)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 17 Jul 2013 22:21:04 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    5k in 22 minutes today, so close to 20 or under!
  • Zomoniac 18 Jul 2013 09:09:06 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amazing how shit you get after a while out. Did my first training run (not counting races) in ages (as in over six months) yesterday. A struggling 5k in 27:30. I used to be able to comfortably get through 10ks in under 50 without too much effort. I have a lot of catching up to do.
  • Findus 20 Jul 2013 17:10:21 138 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I decided that due to the warm weather I'd do my long run (8 miles) early doors so up at 5am and man despite the first two miles thinking why on earth did you take up running when I could be in bed settled down into a nice rhythm along the Southport coast road as the sun was rising and it was nice and cool, I was really slow but still managed to complete my 8 miles but perfect long training run for my half.

I've spent all day all knackered and sore but was so worth it.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 20 Jul 2013 22:00:34 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Findus wrote:
    Well I decided that due to the warm weather I'd do my long run (8 miles) early doors so up at 5am and man despite the first two miles thinking why on earth did you take up running when I could be in bed settled down into a nice rhythm along the Southport coast road as the sun was rising and it was nice and cool, I was really slow but still managed to complete my 8 miles but perfect long training run for my half.

I've spent all day all knackered and sore but was so worth it.
    I haven't had a morning run in a while but like you I remember a few times last year when you're getting out of the car tired and groggy, the first 1 or 2k feels heavy and sluggish. But very soon you get into a rhythm and afterwards you feel great! I love finishing a morning run by 9am when everyone else is just getting started!

Planning a nice morning run at 7am tomorrow on a 21k route around lovely country lanes. Not going to listen to music, just enjoy the birdsong, the smells and the quiet!

Edit: Plus I got a nice new pair of Asics GT 2000 so am looking forward to trying them out :)

Edited by BravoGolf at 22:01:09 20-07-2013
  • SaucyGeoff 22 Jul 2013 09:01:30 2,478 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did the Yorkshire Wolds half marathon on Saturday. I forgot to take my watch, which I was a bit annoyed about, but actually totally made the run. Combination of Friday night beer and some serious climbs meant that I wasn’t going to be troubling a PB, so I set off really easy, and I think gradually got quicker as it went on. Just did what felt comfortable, and at the end was “racing” others, rather than “racing” the clock.

Results aren’t available yet, but I guess I ran somewhere between 1h50 – 1h55. There was one downhill section, uncomfortably steep for about a kilometre, down a forest track. I thought at the time, that it would hurt the next day, and my knee and ankles are still suffering.
  • Page

of 204 First / Last