Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 180

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• AccidentProne 17 Jun 2013 11:51:15 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's some speedy little fuckers at our parkrun too, one 14 year old managed under 20 mins! Bit demoralising when my pb is only 22mins...
  • SaucyGeoff 18 Jun 2013 16:05:19 2,559 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    Not sure on telling models apart.

I think (but not sure) that the original was black with the yellow/green inside whereas the new version are different colours one of which is all black.
    Cheers for the advice Gurg, Nike have been really helpful. One last tour of duty this evening, before my sportswatch gets boxed up and dispatched. Pathetically, Iím a bit attached to it (as I am with all the kit that came round the marathon in May), but Iím sure a shiny new model will soften the blow.

Nike havenít covered themselves in glory in the past (the website, lack challenges etc), but replacing a faulty, out of warranty, 18 month old GPS watch with a brand new model, earns them plenty of brownie points.
  • Rhythm 21 Jun 2013 13:26:41 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just passed the 500 mile mark for the year. That places me slightly ahead of where I need to be to hit 1000 miles total for 2013. I've started increasing the miles by doing a "long" run of increasing length at the weekend. If things carry on as they are then I'm (stupidly) planning on trying out for some longer runs next year. My target for this summer would be to hit a 50km run in one go (Skipton to Leeds along the canal). If I can do that then I'm going to try some of the pieces below.

I'm not bothered about times, I'm more interested in entering the kind of events where finishing is in itself the main achievement. So, I've earmarked (all for next year):

Leeds 1/2 marathon (already signed up)
    Windermere marathon (looks fun)
    York marathon
    Run On Water (Leeds to Liverpool, 127 miles race)
    12 Labours of Hercules
  • AccidentProne 21 Jun 2013 13:56:29 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A while back I was contemplating trying out an ultra, but my last marathon bought me back down to earth. I don't think I've got it in me to be honest. Will see how I feel after the next marathon, but the idea of running any further strikes me as madness.

Saying that, a couple of years back I felt the same about going beyond 13.1 miles...
  • Rhythm 21 Jun 2013 14:00:42 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In all fairness I've never done further than 13 miles (I have a 14 mile set up for this weekend) but I came out of the half marathon in May feeling remarkably fresh and now I've looked into it, my daily 10km routine apparently forms a good bedrock for much longer runs

I'll see. If I can get up to the 50km target in a few weeks then it's on :-)
  • AccidentProne 21 Jun 2013 14:16:33 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was chatting to some seasoned marathon runners in a pub recently and was asking them whether marathons ever get easy enough that they'd consider upping the distance to an ultra? None of them said they would, though I guess if you're always chasing times, you're always giving it everything you've got.

Good luck with it though and let us know how you get on. Never know, might inspire me to man up and give it a go too.
  • AccidentProne 22 Jun 2013 15:28:50 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would you guys that use the Nike sports watch recommend it over a Garmin or something similar?

Looking to get something with a heart rate monitor, so the Nike watch was the obvious choice, but I seem to remember some of you guys having problems with it? Also, how does its functionality compare to other watches?

If I don't get the Nike watch, I'm thinking a Garmin 410 or 610, though they're a bit pricier. Also, they don't look as nice, which is obviously of massive importance. Apparently I'll still be able to upload data from a Garmin to the Nike site, which was another concern. But then again, I'll not be able to use the footpod thingy for treadmill runs if I went with a Garmin...
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 22 Jun 2013 18:36:27 2,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I couldn't recommend it from a reliability point of view. I'm on my third the only real life friend I have who owns one is on his second. Lots of Internet peeps have had issues too.

Admittedly all of us seem to get endless free replacements but I run with it now knowing it may die at any time.

As far as functionality goes I think they have less features as Garmin Forerunners. I think it's things to do with pace, intervals and beeps when you are going too fast-slow that Garmin are better with. Have a good look at their user manuals to compare features that interest you.
  • AccidentProne 23 Jun 2013 14:33:36 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers Gurgy. Read a few reviews and some of the features on the Garmin 610 sound pretty useful. Didn't realise there are Garmin footpods too, which seem to give a bit more info than the Nike version. Also looks easy to transfer Garmin data to Nike, but not the other way round, so I think my mind is made up.
  • SaucyGeoff 23 Jun 2013 23:27:08 2,559 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If it's not to painful uploading data to the nike site, i'd probably go with a Garmin.

Interesting reading Rythm's list a few posts up. I'd love to be able to say I'd done an ultra. Maybe one day I will, but I'd enter with the goal of 'completing' rather than aiming for a specific time.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 24 Jun 2013 12:07:50 12,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Marathon this Friday, feeling fairly positive about it. Am considering attempting to run it one go (last time I would walk for a minute every 5km) and finished in 4hrs 45 mins.

Any recommendations on things I could/should be eating this week in the office?
  • AccidentProne 24 Jun 2013 13:17:27 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably want to stick to low GI carbs, so as an office based snack, nuts are probably a pretty good bet.

My usual pre-race meal is wholewheat pasta with meat n veggies. Race day it's porridge, banana and coffee a couple of hours before the start, followed by a sports drink about an hour later.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 24 Jun 2013 13:32:01 12,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks AP, will start bringing nuts to work then :)
  • Vortex808 25 Jun 2013 22:04:22 6,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's funny how it goes. I popped out for a run tonight and it felt like the most painfully slow run I have ever done. I felt really knackered for some reason too, yet at the end it turned out my pace was actually fairly similar to that of my last few runs anyway.

Not sure if I was just struggling today, or if I was remembering and comparing it to how it used to feel when I used to be able to run a fair bit quicker pre-kids.

/sigh
  • BravoGolf Moderator 1 Jul 2013 11:06:05 12,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did a marathon on Sat \o/ Mildly happy with my time, 4 hrs and 26 minutes. Am hoping that by Oct I'll do a marathon within 4 hours. This time my strategy was to run for as long as possible, thinking I should get 30km or more before needing to take 1 or 2 minute walking breaks but unfortunately needed to stop at about 24 or 26km. Had missed some key training runs so on the whole am reasonably happy.

My NikePlus app shows the run as being 42.5km so doesn't count it as a marathon, can that be adjusted do you know?
  • AccidentProne 1 Jul 2013 11:25:28 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done BG, 11mins quicker than my current best. I'm also hoping to get it down to 4 hours by the end of September for the Loch Ness marathon.

Can you just edit the run on your phone and update it from there? Assuming you're using the gps app, just go into the activity list, select the run and there should be a fuel gauge looking icon in the top right which allows you to edit the distance.
  • Vortex808 1 Jul 2013 11:49:49 6,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:

My NikePlus app shows the run as being 42.5km so doesn't count it as a marathon, can that be adjusted do you know?
    There is a calibrate option somewhere. I think you should be able to do it from on of the icons on the run stats screen on your phone, but can't remember for sure. I calibrated my runs to match with their known distances after cycling and driving the route to check the distance.

It's quite accurate once calibrated too, all 10k races I have done since have tallied well.

My half-marathon in march couldn't be measured sadly, since it was so bloody cold the battery ran out a couple of miles before the end of the race. Annoyingly, that happened not long after my ITB gave out, to compound a miserable bloody day.

Edited by Vortex808 at 13:39:34 01-07-2013
  • BravoGolf Moderator 1 Jul 2013 12:57:39 12,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That sucks Vorte :(

My aim now is to do the Dublin marathon in October, last year I did it in 4hrs and 45 mins, I want to get it to 4 hours or under (so basically need to shave off 26 minutes)

Am wondering should I focus on getting a run done in one go (i.e. work on getting up to 35k or so in training in one solid run) or rather should I aim to keep a decent pace and walk through every water stop ...
  • sport 6 Jul 2013 10:04:08 12,522 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Topless run - yay or nay? It's pretty steamy today.
  • AccidentProne 8 Jul 2013 20:16:06 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, the Nike+ site has messed up my monthly distance somehow. Ran 16km this evening, which is showing up in my activity, but it seems to think I've done 63km this week, although this is my only run so far. Means my total is roughly double what I've actually run...
  • Vortex808 8 Jul 2013 20:51:20 6,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a run tonight up to some standing stones near us. Ran the 2.5 miles up hill there into the sun, then back down the road. It was most pleasant, if a smidge warm.

The flies I attracted on my way up the small road past a small dairy farm were less welcome though. It was nice to get out of town and into the country though.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 8 Jul 2013 21:56:50 2,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm on day two of the Tour of Merseyside.

13 miles yesterday, 6 mile multi terrain (inc about 1.5 on beach) today. The heat is taking its toll on my speed / times. Tomorrows run is a 10 mile park and cycle path run.

Wednesday is a day of rest then 5 mile road race Thursday, 6 mile cross country Friday and finally a 12 mile coastal run on Saturday.
  • Vortex808 8 Jul 2013 22:07:26 6,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That sounds tough, but fun.
  • AccidentProne 9 Jul 2013 09:45:08 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, even without the current temperatures, 52 miles in a week definitely sounds tough.

I generally love running in the country too, got some really nice routes around here. Flies are ruining it for me at the moment though, means I have to stick to running in town in the evenings, or be prepared to get covered in / swallow loads of the little fuckers. Got stung all over my legs after an ill advised run along the river last week too, was clouds of them all over the place, couldn't avoid them.
  • Vortex808 9 Jul 2013 10:08:46 6,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Flies are ruining it for me at the moment though, means I have to stick to running in town in the evenings, or be prepared to get covered in / swallow loads of the little fuckers.
    I hate swallowing flies when on the bike or running.

I used to run a lot on a bridle path through a forest. There was lots of horse shite everywhere. This meant I learnt to try to exhale when running by the horse-y deposits.

You only need to swallow one fly that leave a horse shit as you run past it to learn that lesson quickly.

Ick.
  • AccidentProne 9 Jul 2013 10:15:22 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, yeah this route's a bridle path too. I've learnt to control my breathing to avoid potentially shitty fly swallowing situations.
  • Findus 9 Jul 2013 13:41:50 142 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I'm up to nine miles on my half marathon training now but bringing it a back down as I'm doing the we love Manchester 10K on Sunday before getting back to Half marathon training throughout August. We've just found out there is no medal just a rucksack and bits. But hey ho.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm eating a lot of carbs, wholemeal pasta jacket potatoes chicken and that but the warmer it I seem to be getting the smell of Nail Varnish Remover in my nose during and just after my runs!! Even doing 3 and a bit miles. And I'm not flagging or anything like that.

I've done a bit of searching and I it says that it's because I've used up my glycogen stores and it's turning muscle into fuel (But I can't understand that, if I'm eating carbs and drinking loads and running out after 3 miles when I have done 10k's and more without the issue then what am I doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Edited by Findus at 13:42:08 09-07-2013

Edited by Findus at 13:43:22 09-07-2013
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 9 Jul 2013 21:46:02 2,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry Findus no idea on your problem.
    Worth a chat with a doctor maybe ?
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 9 Jul 2013 21:50:45 2,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    However, how damn good can running make you feel !

Did my 10mile leg (day 3) of my "Tour" run today. Makes a total of 29 miles so far.
    I was wary of it tonight with it being a fair distance, the weather and the cumulative effect of tiredness in the legs. But I managed a hugely satisfying ( for me ) 1:19 time with an almost identical 1st half / 2nd half split.

I'm buzzing !
  • AccidentProne 10 Jul 2013 11:17:54 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Findus, can't say I've ever smelt nail varnish remover whilst running, but have reached the state where I've depleted my glycogen stores before. I did used to get a weird acidy sort of taste in my mouth, but that I put down to not fueling up properly and hasn't happened for a while. Sounds like diet wise, you're not doing anything wrong though. Probably worth chatting to a doctor.

Good stuff Gurgy, enjoy your rest day.
  • Page

of 206 First / Last